Is online dating worth it at 17?

I can see how it's an awesome option for single, busy thirty-somethings and up, but I don't know about my age group. I mean, I am pretty anxious (slowly inching towards "desperate", still not there though) to actually start attracting guys (guys won't even look at me twice for the most part) and yet online sites feel like browsing through a pile of stuff no one else wanted.

I really need to start actually dating to get over a guy who didn't want me, but online dating doesn't seem like the way to go... unless I'm doing it wrong. What do you think, should I give it another shot?

Most Helpful Guy

• I actually just checked pof and okc and they don't even let anyone under 18 sign up and I don't blame them because they'd probably just fall prey to perverts and the last thing a site wants to deal with is having their website broadcast for some rapist getting a hold of a minor. A LOT of girls' profiles say not to message them if they're old enough to be her father. So honestly you'd have a lot of old men lusting over you sending you perverted messages.

Even if you lied about your age and put 18 it would just look bad on you because then you're a liar. It's nowhere near "desperate" for people to have dating profiles at all nowadays. It's just annoying for a lot of girls to get messaged by creepers so if you don't have thick skin, it's not for you. The main reason guys complain about online dating about it because the girls' typically have unrealistic expectations listed at the bottom's of the profiles to the point where even when I go back and scroll through profiles for kicks... I see them there to this day and their profile's still active.

Plus in your day to day life, you'd get a much much much much better impression of the individual you're dealing with. With online dating there's so much anonymity involved that you can really be talking to anyone. Girls typically think they can "get to know" a guy by emailing back and forth but I can tell you from experience, I have emailed girls back and forth then met them in person and they were totally different from what I expected. Many(guys and girls!) lie in their profiles. So the best route is to typically meet them for someone quick with an easy exit and not be emailing them over and over again.

What Guys Said 6

• Give it another shot. Not online. You are 17 years old, and have a long way to go before being desperate should even be considered. You are in fact quite pretty and there should be no reason for you to think you are "stuff no one else wanted".

The biggest mistake girls do is to think the guy has to do 100% of the work. The guys you find attractive may get interested in you after a little flirtwork. Try something simple like discuss hobbies. Even suggest "Maybe we could do that together sometime", while smiling. That's all you need to do, because if he is interested he will pursue you from there on.

• Yeah, about that... I don't really get to discuss stuff with guys. I go to a mostly female high school (the male population is largely gay or taken, or both), and when I chat guys up randomly in public places I only get unpleasant stares, like I'm a hobo begging for change or something. I can only imagine how bad it's gonna be in London when I go to the uni... ugh.

• No. You're still in high school and will soon go to college. You will be surrounded by guys all the time. You don't need to dabble in dating sites quite yet.

• just no. online is just for those "quick dates".

if you want a guy he won't fall doen from the sky.

like other user said you have to show him your interest. the best thing to start of is a smile. guys will ignore a girl that does a mean face other than an open girl that smiles. you can be shy too, some guys like it.

the weapon of a girl is her body ^^ how you move and how you act shows how much of a girl you are. if you can walk in high heels then you did s big jump.

guys feel great about getting a compliment from a girl the hoter she is.

your body language tells a guy if you are confident and know that you can have someone or not.

type in google: body language, how to show a gux interest and watch "wing girls" on YouTube. I searched for it and I start to notice how many girls I can actually have. its all about you. be the person you want to be!

• High heels are awesome, but they're better for petite girls (I'm 5'9", almost 5'10").

Other than that, these are some great tips. I've heard them before and tried them with little success, but still I think they're good and it's just that I don't employ them correctly.

• hm. actually you can met guys at the club. as I told you. be girly. high heels. get in a dress and use make up. you're not that tall. you're as tall as me. as a girl you have to know how to wear hot stuff and still not look like a whore. not every guy wants to walk near a girl that seems easy to get. and one thing both gerders should never seem = needy! (that fucks all up. I know what I mean)

• so you as a girl can do a lot of things to get more guys/attention. you don't look ugly and if your pictures are without makeup you have a good potential. straighten you hair: it looks better. I think I can't tell you more. just answer questions

• Fact: Online dating is never worth it.

• Just talk to guy's in person instead of online, you don't have guys coming up to you or something

• No, I don't. There was this one fifty-something who told me I looked pretty once, does that count?

• It must be a reason they don't come to you

• try it

What Girls Said 4

• At 18 yes, at 17 most won't let you join unless you lie. And most on there will be older than 20 and they'll find 17 a bit too young, at least the law thinks it is.

I'm not sure I guess everyone makes different expierences but a few of my friends met really great guys. It's not really work, just make a profile and if someone messages you that you like, you reply

• I don't live in the US though, the age of consent here is 15 and also it is the minimum age for signing up for most local dating sites. Just for the record.

• its for any age, there are people your age on those sites and its not desperation, its another form of meeting people you may not meet the traditional way.

• no. you are too young. I am 22 and I feel too young, but it gets a little better. it seems a majority are mid 20s +

• I won't say its not worth but I think its better for you to wait till you are 18. So you want to go for online dating for the purpose of rebounding? Not a great idea.

• I didn't TECHNICALLY get dumped (just rejected), so it's not exactly rebounding... why would that be a bad idea anyway?

• Dating site can be good if you really meet the right person.As an adult,I have been there few times and most of the guys there just want to hook up,one night stand or have fun.You might get lucky though but if you willing to take the risk.