"We're hanging out" vs. "We're on a date" -- is it just a matter of wording or is there a difference?

What your thoughts GAG community? Your reason for your choice is appreciated.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well it often depends on the people. I go out and have dinner or go to happy hour with guy friends and it's clear that that is just hanging out. If it's someone you're not already friends with, chances are it's a date, but you need to read the situation to figure it out when your on the hang out/date. Is there flirtation? date. Is he checking out other girls and pointing out cute guys for you? hangout. It's very situational when you're single.

When you're in a relationship, it's a whole different ball game. I no longer go out on one on one hang outs with my guy friends unless my boyfriend is friends with him too and has no problem with it. If your significant other doesn't know the person, it's inappropriate, and if they found out about it, they'd probably be upset. General rule of thumb in my relationship: if they're a friend of the couple (meaning truly friendly to both partners, not just the friend of one), then it's okay. If they're a stranger of the opposite sex, it's not allowed.

What Girls Said 4

• From a woman's perspective, I think it matters. Particularly if the guy makes a point to say we're "Just hanging out." That changes my interaction with him quite a bit. He doesn't need to come out and say we're on a date or anything, but if I get the impression it's just a "hang out" or he approaches it as such (texts instead of calls, no real plans, watching a movie at his house for a first date, etc.), then I treat it much differently.

• Hanging out it's casual, no special arrangements.

Dating is more formal, he picks her up. You go out, drop her off at home.

• In today's world it means the same thing

• It can really go either way.

Hanging out can mean spending time together as friends. But sometimes it's a backwards way of leading to dating. But going on "a date" or a few dates doesn't necessarily mean the two people like each other, either. It just means that they're exploring the idea of dating. But hanging out can also mean exploring the idea of dating...but it doesn't always.

Clear as mud, huh?

What Guys Said 2

• They are two different things. It's not just the wording.

Friends hang out.

A date is different. There's a chance of something physical happening (a kiss if nothing else) and there's a definite judgement going on.

It's rare that if two friends are "hanging out" that their time together will end with one person saying "Let's never hang out again".

With a date, there is a judgement - should we do this again? A yes, if you both enjoyed it and think it could lead to something. Otherwise a no.

• I'd say that it's a fine line. I've seen "hanging out" turn into a date. I think it relates to the line between friends and "more than friends". Sometimes those lines get crossed without any thought or planning, it just happens.