Guys, would you date a woman who is more educated than you?

Lets say you have a Bachelors and she has a Masters, for example.

My brother is 23 and has a Bachelors degree, and he is really interested in a woman who has a Masters (I'm not sure what field, though). I know she's interested in him as well, but he's hesitant to pursue anything with her because he feels like he is not smart enough for her, especially since she's now a PhD candidate. She is the same age, 23. I told him to stop worrying about all of that that and to just go out with her and have fun.

Is it common for a guy to feel that way? Have you been in this position?

• Yes, I would still go out with her.
  • Nope, I avoid girls who are more educated than me.
  • I don't care about her education level at all.
  • I'm a girl / See results.
Thanks for your answers. My brother is actually going back to school in September to start his Masters so this is probably not even a big deal. I've never met this woman but I know they went out last night so I guess he moved past this dilemma, lol. I totally agree that intelligence should not be measured by what kind of degree you have. Unfortunately, it's how people tend to gauge intelligence.

My oldest brother is a mechanic and he married a lawyer, so I guess it can work out :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Hell yeah. I like women that have brains and a good work ethic, and a higher degree is a good indicator. Personally, I'm a bit more of a hedonist, so while I try to learn all the time I haven't dedicated the resources to continuing my education beyond my Bachelors. I've thought about it, but it's never made sense to quit work and buy another degree in my field so I haven't. I'm not against it. It just hasn't seemed like the thing to do.

I think a lot of folks see education levels as an indicator of smarts. While it does take some smarts to rack up an impressive education, the absence of one does nothing to indicate an absence of smarts.

Because of that, There's no reason for a person with a life based education to feel intimidated by someone with a formal education. I mean it's not like we stop learning when we leave school.

What Guys Said 19

• Her stance on education is more important than what she has.

Like, for someone to have a master's and claim that people without a degree are dumb would make me wonder if they cheated to get their master's because that's a really stupid thing to say.

Now the only reason guys worry about a degree with a woman is because many women out there nowadays are saying that they refuse to date a guy without a bachelor's or higher. I even remember a dating profile putting in ()'s that an associate's doesn't count. These girls basically don't realize that they are on a dating site and not monster.com so it makes me wonder how dumb they can be... yet have a degree at the same time.

Now I know some girls who really took a good path and knew how to use school to get a career. But honestly, most girls I see that are online looking for dates are going to school to be a teacher. The field's gonna get overpopulated and many will be without a job. So just having a degree doesn't mean a job now. Like if a girl is truly interested in medical, I'd respect that much more.

So having a degree doesn't turn me off or on. The choices she's making really do. She needs to know what she's doing or she'll become another victim of our education system and be stuck with all this debt and no way to pay it off. Then she'll become like that dating profile of a girl I saw who wants to give up on becoming a teacher and be a stay at home housewife... guess who gets stuck paying off her debt if she marries?

• lol, I'm going to be a teacher! But I've always wanted to be one in some capacity...

Anyways, I'm pretty sure this woman is in a science field of some sort. I think my brother met her through some kind of function through his work. He has a degree in chemistry and is currently working as a lab technician for a pharmaceutical company.

• Hope you don't end up getting put on a waiting list for it. Many schools are trying to axe older professors to put in newer ones for less pay but at the same time many people are getting stuck on waiting lists to teach as well. It may be years before you get a full time spot. A friend of mine just married someone going through this right now.

If this girl really makes a big deal out of it she's probably just one of those egotistical women looking for a status symbol.

• I know what I'm getting into and I know the job market is poor in most aspects of education so I'm not going to moan about it like so many people do. But since I teach music, there are also more opportunities for me to teach at arts focused private schools or at independent music schools. I work at one of those places full time in the summer and get a pretty nice check. That kind of experience puts me miles ahead of other teaching candidates, since most of them have none at all.

• A degree does not equal intelligent in my book. There were people on my course who were incapable of gaining good grades on their own accord... but they had a lot of money and would pay third parties to do their assignments and work for them. They ended up graduating still with only a pass because they did terribly on the exams which brought their grades down.

They've since went to do a masters and intend to do a phd using the same method.

Yes I would date a woman who has mroe degrees that me

• My parents did something like that. Mom has a Bachelors, dad has an associates.Though, he picked a smart major, so it now pays about 85k a year.

A lot of guys are going to not want to do so because it's like this--most women want, if they can, to date a man who is:

taller than her

smarter than her

higher status than her

makes more money than her.

It's like the lawyer/secretary. A male attorney can go out with a cute secretary who makes 1/3 as much as him and they can get engaged, married, no problem.

A female attorney won't want to go out with a male secretary who makes 1/3 as much as her. Women want to date men who are at least equal to them in status and success.

So a lot of guys realize that if you date a woman higher status than you, that will likely come back to make her unhappy.

• Yeah I'm not intimidated by formal education. I think it has little to zero to do with intelligence as well though.

• Hmmmm interesting question. I would say no, it doesn't matter. Although it might be a little bit weird if it was in the exact same field as me. I like a nice separation between personal/professional life.

• i don't see any problem .. I hang out with a PHD candidate all the time and she is not smarter than I am ... she is just more experienced in her frield

• Yes, I would still go out with her.

i am B.Tech in electronics and telecommunication

Pursuing my MBA right now/...so I don't think I may land up someone who is more educated than me ...very less probability but even if it happens...i won't mind at all...i have no issues ...i would in fact give her great respect and appreciation for that and try to gain some motivation :)

• It's common for guys to feel that way, yes. And it's common for women in that position to feel resentment or awkwardness at the role reversal.

But yes, I'd date someone with more education than me.

• Intelligence can be very attractive, though having a degree doesn't necessarily equate to intelligence.

• Some guys could get intimidated and think that the girl is out of their league but I think it makes the girl more attractive.

• sure why not

• If she's hot and nice, I'd be all over that!

• I avoid it, the reason being that women don't really like the feeling of dating down. If a woman dates a man who has less formal education (even if he is more intelligent and/or knowledgeable and even if he earns more than she does), then she is likely to view this as dating down.

Also, people get offended when I know more about their subject than they do. I've noticed my fellow 'bachelors' are like this, and in my experience 'masters' and 'doctors' are even worse.

• Yeah unfortunately there are a lot of women who feel that way. Some don't, like me, but a lot do and I think it's what discourages guys (and girls if they're into girls) from dating in some instances.

What if he is moving up though? Do you think that changes things?

• Changes things for whom? For her? Maybe.

But my policy is just to avoid the situation. My time is very precious to me, and I'd rather not waste my time on a girl who's likely to feel embittered!

• A woman's education means nothing to me. It doens't improve her overall value, nor does it make her a worse person. The only issue I have is that women have this perception, of her being more educated somehow entitles her to a more educated man. I have chosen to avoid this headache all together.

Educated women are fine for short term relationships. It is really only in long term relationships that it becomes a problem. More educated women have proven that in a long term relationship, they are going to have issues by not seeing the man as being their equal. So if the guy is just looking for sex, it won't be a problem. If the guy wants to get married, it is more likely to be a problem. It has been proven over and over that women are only interested in marrying up.

• More educated is NOT equals to higher educated. I consider a girl who has obtained a higher class of degree (Bachelors, Honors, Masters, PhD) to be higher educated.

More educated I would associate to be more with current affairs, being opinionated on social and global affairs, knows how to win an argument by debate (confounding you with facts).

This really doesn't apply to me, since in my case, the girls who are more educated (not higher educated) than me tend to be elitist, snobbish girls who are born to high family and have very strange views on social class or institutional status.

But if you're just referring to more highly educated (which I think you mean that), then there's no problems. I think it quite cool actually, she would be a highly regarded professional in her own field and knows how to handle things well, since good interpersonal relations sort of comes with an academic/mentor role.

• She works and the guy stays at home, sounds like a plan to me. If that was the case with me I would be a bad ass chef.

• I would still go out with her, but there will be this lingering fear that she will think she's smarter and better than I am since I am not as smart as her, and if I ever caught wind of that, I would probably leave. but if she is never like that I'd be OK with dating her.

• As long as she wasn't one of those types that thought she could belittle me or thinks she's better because she has more education than me I would be cool with it. Also I would want a woman with common sense too because I've met plenty of people who have had book sense but no common sense.

• Nope, I've met University educated women who were very smart in their field, but dumber then a doornail when it came to world experience. I'll take someone who's wise & experienced then someone who thinks they are Einstein just because they have a degree...any day.

What Girls Said 5

• This is the wrong site to ask this on

Most dudes on here didn't receive an education beyond 12th grade and alms how manage to associate an ambitious or hardworking woman with being a feminist.

I think one of the major issues with those types of women is they often feel the need to prove to themselves and everyone around them that they're "strong, independent women" and they have a habit of being smart asses who correct everyone. Which obviously leads to men feeling emasculated (rightfully so, I'll add).

But a guy with a higher level of education is not likely to be be intimidated

• *somehow manage

• "Most dudes on here didn't receive an education beyond 12th grade and alms how manage to associate an ambitious or hardworking woman with being a feminist." Let me guess: you broke out of a remedial class.

• personal attacks aren't a sign of intelligence. Point made. I obviously struck a nerve with my generalization

• well, I don't think there is a connection between degree and IQ... being a master can only prove that she is hard working and spent a couple of years more on education... I'm a female master and I don't care about education ( as long as we have much to talk about ..)

• I would date a guy smarter than me.

• if she likes him and wants to be with him, then obviously she doesn't mind his lower degree / isn't going to view him as inferior.

As many people have said, having a higher degree is not necessarily an indication of intelligence, and even if she is truly smarter than him, that doesn't mean he's not good enough for her. There are other attractive qualities besides intelligence, like sense of humor, caring, etc.

• Based off of what I've seen in real life, no. But on this site, yep. They are scared shitless.

• You really don't understand men, do you? Here's a nugget of info. The kind of man who is intimidated by a more educated woman is the kind of man who is intimidated by ANY woman. The simplest explanation is often the correct one. Maybe men aren't intimidated by your education or by anything about you... Maybe they're just not interested. But that would require admitting that a woman's dating failures aren't ALWAYS the fault of men, which most women seem incapable of admitting.