How "dates" are different from "hang out"?

Have been talking with this guy for more than half a year and we"hung out" some times before. Recently he messaged me saying he would take me out on a "date".

How a "date" can be different from "hang out" ?

Before getting into a relationship, I rarely officially used the term "dates" even if it was actually an opportunity to explore each other in a romantic way.

Honestly, I prefer using "hang out" for two reasons.

1.if I'm interested in him, it is kinda risk free and I could always find excuse to see him more frequently. (Usually we are friends)

2.if I'm not sure about my feelings, saying "hang out"is pressure free, as I could easily refuse to meet him again without feeling guilty

Most Helpful Girl

• "Date", meaning you both go out somewhere and enjoy yourselves.

Seeing if there is chemistry or romantic interest.

"Hangout" seems more like something you do with a friend, no romantic vibe.

What Guys Said 8

• Date means the direction is to girlfriend/boyfriend or some romantic relationship. Hang out means either friends or fwb.

• I would think that with a date there is a possible romantic connection that one or both parties would like to explore. With hanging out, not so much.

• Hanging out nothing sentimental just chilling and having fun, dating the same thing but to a deeper level I guess.

• a date is a date. A hang out isn't a date it's a hang out. Simple.

• Sounds good to me. Usually I think if a girl and a guy are spending time together, there is usually at least some kind of attraction to that person. Whether he/she finds the person attractive or maybe he/she just enjoys the company.

• So true.

• I think this is a great way to do it especially if you're like me and you get really nervous with dates. Plus it gives her a chance to see I'm a great guy over time without all the pressure.

• it probably means more to change it from hang out to date, everybody knows what dating brings with it so he probably is thinking about you more often and hoping for more from you.

have you ever used hang out as a means to date or see if someone is good for you? I am asking because I was wondering about one of my friends

• Yeah I guess so. Before getting into a relationship, I rarely officially used the term "dates" even if it was actually an opportunity to explore each other in a romantic way. Honestly, I prefer using "hang out" for two reasons.1.if I'm interested in him, it is kinda risk free and I could always find excuse to see him more frequently. (Usually we are friends) 2.if I'm not sure about my feelings, saying "hang out"is pressure free, as I could easily refuse to meet him again without feeling guilty.

• dates are for girlfriends.Hang outs are for girls who want to eventually reach Girlfriend status. For me anyway

• It's a phase change. By suggesting it as a date, he is seeking your approval. Because only boyfriends and girlfriends go on a date, not mere friends. It signifies an official label.

Emotionally both of you will be moving into a new phase since by accepting, you have essentially become his girlfriend. Physically, it means he's allowed to be more intimate.

I've tried to make the transition before, asking a girl out on a 'date' instead of 'going out'. It didn't quite work, because she said that I would have to clear certain emotional milestones, and she needs to be ready, before I can ask her out on a 'date'. But she's absolutely fine if I called it 'going out' instead. Perhaps you might want to do the same thing as my non-girlfriend-but-we-are-going-out person.

• Have you ever kissed when hanging out?

• Of course no..we treated each other as friends...

• No, it doesn't "suck" for him because we've been together for 8 years. Just because someone says we are going on a date, does not mean you automatically signed up to share a kiss with him.

That takes time. Every one is different.

• She should only tell him if she has no intentions of ever becoming romantic with him.

But to each their own, every one is ready to "kiss" or share a form of intimacy at different times.

If he respects her, he needs to be okay with that and not force that issue.

What Girls Said 5

• it's basically the same thing except you actually do something other than hanging indoors. Haven't you heard of couples having date night? if you're home on the couch watching TV then that's hanging out .. it doesn't mean the romantic interest isn't there but it also doesn't mean it is. Going on dates requires way more effort than hanging out. So if he wants to date you when you've never done it before then I'd say his interest level has increased.

• With dates you know you're into each other

Worth hang outs you're still figuring out if you want to date

• Dates are romantic. Random hang outs aren't.

• when it comes to the opposite gender hangouts are about the intention of getting to know someone, platonic or not and sometimes for a men it comes with the intention of trying to just get sex

dating is the intention of wanting something more long term and hoping it will go further than just friendship

• @update. Saying hangout is safer. Because rejection hurts

• date=intention for getting into a relationship if it goes well (or a sexual relationship)