Who pays the bill at the restaurant?

Hi,

Had a very interesting conversation tonight about dates, restaurant and who pays the bill... My friends have all a very specific point of view on the matter. S thinks if the guy doesn't pay, he's simply rude and stingy. E says it should be the wealthier paying, M thinks it depends if you want to see the guy, if she doesn't she will insist to pay; And M thinks it should always be half/half. What do you think?

oh and personally, if you invite, means you pay. If I invite you, I will. Simple.

Most Helpful Guy

• If it's a first date, whoever did the asking out should pay fully, though the other person should offer.

If it's a second or third or fourth etc date, it should be split, or they should take turns, unless one person is much wealthier than the other, in which case the wealthier person should pay.

• I agree fully with this. I like switching back and forth who pays (or going Dutch, but it varies).

What Guys Said 5

• I'm kind of old fashioned on this one. I think the guy should pay. However, I tend to think if the woman doesn't have an interest in the guy, she should pay her half, but even then I'm open to the guy paying anyways.

• The person extending the invitation should expect to pay unless there is some other understanding.

• I say the guy should pay in full, at least for the first date, maybe a couple after. If they are an established, official couple who have been together for a while, I think taking turns paying or splitting is perfectly fine.

• I'd always prefer splitting the bill.

• I believe in equality, and therefore, splitting the bill.

Otherwise we're going back to the dark ages of the 50's and such, when women were legally owned slaves.

Women are independent and equal to men. Therefore they can pay for their own meal. After all, we wouldn't want the girl feeling like I'm paying for her time, and I'm owed a kiss/sex or something, right?

What Girls Said 3

• I like to pay half and half no matter if I'm out on a date or just with friends. I don't really like people paying for me unless it's family.

• Prefer to share the bill with the man to pay more

• Whoever asked should go Dutch then you split the bill