Driving advice, feeling so overwhelmed?

Okay, so I'm 16 1/2 and driving. let me ust say I HATE IT. I feel so mentally incapable and inadequate, I always say I can barely blink and stay in my own lane, which I'm exaggerating, but still, its so overwhelming having to watch what I'm doing, and worrying about other shit everyone else is doing, oh my god, My mom gets so mad at me, because I hate it, and always have her drive. I know I have to learn and I know how to, but I really think I might not be ready. I just don't think I have the capacity for that kind fo responsibility yet... al least with other people's lives for gods sake. She says I need practice then I'll get better at it and I'm just thinking, "and in the mean-time?" in the mean time while I'm waiting to get good, I could kill someone! ._. I'm so lost, and frustrated and I just don't WANT to drive, nor CAN I, I simply can't.

I guess what I'm saying, is, how can I not screw up... I mess everything up, and this is a huge thing to risk messing up... I just... ahh. ._.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think on top of you psyching yourself out over it, your mom isn't helping things by getting impatient with you during the process. For a big responsibility like that, it understandably takes a little getting used to. But when you're doing it under conditions that aren't making you calm and allowing you to learn what you need to know, then you're just spinning your tires (ha, it must be Punday).

Do you have anyone else that could teach you? Perhaps your dad? Siblings? Someone you work with?

What Guys Said 5

• take driver's education courses. especially the on the road stuff with a qualified instructor will go a long way.

then just practice practice practice. try to find times when the roads are less busy and just get yourself comfortable with being behind the wheel

but definitely suggest a driver's ed course if you haven't already taken one

• I'm taking drivers ed, but its parent taught.

I guess its just my nerves idk...

• it is your nerves and anxiety. perhaps you can take a course not taught by parents. not all parents are good teachers and sometimes it's hard to learn from parents as opposed to a license professional who knows how to effectively teach

• we live 40 miles from town, so yeah can't. :/

• You're worrying too much, and ironically that is what is probably stopping you from being able to relax and stop yourself from over thinking.

• See if you get get an instructor. They can take control the car if you actually do get into a dangerous situation. Also when your not in your car you can still visualize. Close your eyes and imagine your doing everything you should be doing, your safety checks, mirror signal manoeuvre etcetara. My brother told me to start doing this after I failed the second time around and it helped me so much.

• my mom knows what sh'es doing, but it's just I get so stressed out, I can't pay attention to what the other morons on the road are doing, checking my mirrors, and little technical stuf like that, I guess it comes with time, but ugh. idk.

• Change your attitude. You're letting fear overtake you. Think of the freedom having your license gives you.

• Only take lessons with a qualified instructor, one who let's you use dual control cars.

Then you can't kill someone, because any time you run the risk of making a major mistake, the instructor can take over from their side of the car.

• well I'm homeschooled and its parent taught...

What Girls Said 1

• If you're THAT uncomfortable driving, stay off the roads! Work on your driving on less busy roads with your mother, and don't drive if you aren't comfortable. There is no reason to put other people at risk.

• im a good driver, and haven't had anything happen that would say otherwise, I don't know I think its all in my head.