How long should I give him space for after he breaks up with his ex?

A guy I like broke up with his girlfriend, and I found out he likes me, too. But even though he told me he'd be happy for her if she found someone new, I'm sure he must still have residual feelings for her. One of my close friends, who's also friends with him, keeps telling me to go for it, but I don't want to end up just being the rebound.

Therefore, how long should I give him space for? What signs should I look for that show he may be ready to move on?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you have to presume that he does indeed need some time to get past his ex. He may get into a relationship too soon which is a rebound. I'd give him three weeks with no contact and then engage.

In the meantime, you may want to read The Rules by Ellen Fein, Sherrie Schneider. It's old school but it has worked for hundreds of years and it works now.

What Guys Said 1

• If he's happy she finds someone else, I think he's probably mostly over her. It really depends on how long they dated and how serious they were.

• I don't know much about their relationship. I know they dated for at least a year (maybe 1 1/2) and that it took awhile after she said she loved him for him to say it back, haha. That's all I have to go on, really...

• Then play it safe till you know more.

• Thanks for the input!

What Girls Said 0