This is what I think of dating. Am I wrong?

When actively dating (heterosexual), the man is expected to make all the important advances and the majority of the responsibilities are his. He has to suggest, plan, and pay for the chance to get closer to someone he barely knows without knowing that they will get along as friends, let alone in a relationship. Both are dressed better than normal and in the position of proving themselves in a pressured situation. All this effort is made with a very good chance that you'll never see this person again.

I don't understand this as the preferred method instead of just taking a few months to getting to know someone you casually meet through friends or a mutual environment. That way there's no expectation, no one has the responsibility of planning or paying for anything, and people are more likely to be open and honest in an environment they're familiar and comfortable with. Actual dating just seems counter productive.

What Girls Said 2

• Am I wrong?
    Not in my opinion as I don't do 'wrong' or 'right' in regards to opinions/thoughts unless they pertain to harming children/animals. I do find it a bit illogical.

"That way there's no expectation, no one has the responsibility of planning or paying for anything, and people are more likely to be open and honest in an environment they're familiar and comfortable with. Actual dating just seems counter productive."
    Yet to me none of the lack of planning/paying responsibility or more honesty/openness really suggests that people would be more likely to get what they want just that there will be less hassle if one does get what they want. So I'm not seeing how dating seems counter productive. Unless you meant counter productive to something else other than getting an attractive appealing compatible partner that reciprocates one's desires.

• I agree with you. Especially when it comes to blind dates. Love is a lot like hunting and if the female already knows your intentions she will flee. Likewise with men. So for a partner, I think its better to get to know them via friends and the romantic courtship phase is much more mysterious fun and alluring. I also think that for a first date with a girl you dont know you should just take her for coffee. Dont go all 5 star restaurant on her. But if she is a friend and there are growing feelings... whine and dine is a good investment from your part.

What Guys Said 0