What do you you think of dating within your league?

I recently came across a post about dating within you league and how it's a good thing. But I'm on the fence about it.

So here's the league:
1. Same/similar race or cultural background as you
2. Within two inches of your equivalent height variation...
3. Same amount of education. If only bachelors, then within 25 schools of US News Top Schools ranking.
4. Within 10 lbs of equivalent BMI
5. Within 20K salary
6. Face of course is subjective, but I suggest people are branded with a 1-10 on their shoulder at age 18.

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. I've dated within my own race (White) but I've always been very attracted to Hispanic girls. Their culture, the color of their skin, their language, etc.

2. This one is a bit tricky because I am only 5'6". I think only one girl was more than 2 inches shorter than me. I've dated girls both taller and shorter.

3. I have no college degree (some college education) but I've dated girls with degrees (both Associates and Bachelor's). Never a Master's degree although I'd feel kinda intimidated knowing that she had all that education and knowledge. I dont' think I could keep up. Kinda related, but I won't date a girl unless she has at least finished high school. I am 25 and yes, I know it's weird if I dated that young, but I've met some mature girls who were had the same maturity level in different areas than some 20 old year girls I've met.

4. With BMI or weight, I want to date girls who are healthy. I am active and keep in shape. I don't want someone who's going to slack around at home and be a couch potato.

5. This doesn't mean anything to me. As long as she's paying her bills, able to care for herself, has a decent job, I see no issues.

What Girls Said 7

• When does personality, beliefs, and compatibility come into play?

Physical leagues don't matter much if the person you're going after is a drug addicted, cult leader, and mass murder.

Physical attractiveness usually peaks initial attraction. However there are other key factors that can make a man or woman more attractive to the opposite sex. Someone having a sense of humor can make them more attractive. Someone being knowledgeable about a certain subject can make them more attractive. Someone who is really caring and attentive can make them more attractive.

There are also petty tricks men and women can do to be perceived as more attractive. For example, women who remove their glasses are seen as more attractive. Men who wear sunglasses are seen as more attractive.

Dating is far more complicated than looks. Looks can get you in the door, but MOST people have to have more substance in order to keep someone. However there is ALWAYS an exception.

• 1. Same/similar race or cultural background as you (not a lot to do with leagues)
    2. Within two inches of your equivalent height variation (taller men/smaller women tend to be considered more attractive. Most suitable height difference is said that a woman's head comes up to the mans shoulder. Height has little to do with league unless you're on the extreme side of negative and even then, some have preferences.)
    3. Same amount of education. If only bachelors, then within 25 schools of US News Top Schools ranking (hmm, perhaps i'm from the UK and eventually i'll end up with a doctorate though)
    4. Within 10 lbs of equivalent BMI (dude would have a low body fat ratio, would be pretty defined if he had muscles fine with me!)
    5. Within 20K salary (well, i'm a student right now, but who knows how much in the future)
    6. Face of course is subjective, but I suggest people are branded with a 1-10 on their shoulder at age 18. (couples of approximately the same attractive are said to be longer lasting/more stable. It would be for the best, and again not a problem).

• Marriages tend to be more successfully between people with similar attractiveness, educational background and income. That's a fact, but I think you're list is taking it a bit too far

The idea of dating within your league is that if you're 40, overweight, unemployed, balding and rude you can't expect a 20 year old supermodel that runs marathons for charity. And that's for sure ture

1) I don't really see how that relates to the issue. Like really not at all? What's up with that
    2) usually girls look for a guy that is at least an inch or two taller, but everything beyond that is taking it too far
    3) roughly same amount of education, but how well the school you were attening ranked in some arbitrary rankings doesn't matter
    4) I'd generally say roughly equal attractiveness but I wouldn't put numbers on it, especially not BMI
    5) I'd generally say roughly equal salary but I wouldn't put numbers on it
    6) not sure what you mean?

• Wow. That seems really stupid to me. My partner, and I are pretty much polar oposites minus the fact that we're both white. I think the whole "in your league" thing is just another way to judge others and not allow love to flow into your life

• I've never really thought about dating someone within my own league... I really don't know how to feel about this. I was wondering on what to say but I really don't know how to respond

• Oh my gosh those are a lot of standards but they can either result in an amazing match or boredom you can't help who you fall for they may be a grungy chic abd you are a jock lol love is love don't put it in a perfect tidy box

• I don't think it's necessary, or a good thing. Who cares about height really? Women always seek taller men for the most part? Salary? Meh. Race? Meh
    Culture is the only thing I agree with.

What Guys Said 5

• One criteria missing is the upwards mobility / momentum due to one's particular circumstances. When I had a steady job / normal predictable career, I dated more or less within my league. Now that I have my own business, it is not making that much more money, but it's a different in many ways in terms of control of your life - I'm looking for someone way above my league, or in a similar upwards mobility situation.

• 1) how does one's race / ethnic background signify "league status"?

5) I don't get why so many people are drawn to a "scientific" system that is a century old and considers muscle mass as a negative when it comes to it's calculation. Body fat % is way more accurate.

• Why would anyone limit themselves like that? No boundaries dude!

• For me I tend to date different nationalities since they give different perspectives. Usually a girl that is fit would be to my liking. If a girl is slightly taller than me by a few inches. All the girls I've dated are usually my height 5'7 or within the 5 foot range. I'd prefer a girl with college education with a degree or in the process of finishing education to obtain a degree. Personally I wouldn't go for a girl below my standards, why settle if your not going to be satisfied/ happy.

• No thank you. Boxing yourself in to a specific group is for the narrow minded folks. I'm open to any race, just about any height (within an inch or two taller- which would be anything below 6 feet), I couldn't care less about where she went to school (though I will say pursuing a degree is a must- and a plus if going beyond bachelors), weight is whatever as long as I'm physically attracted to her, money doesn't matter to me at all, and the face thing is hard to say since I don't really operate on the number scale but more a "pass/fail" test. If she has a face I'm attracted to, it's a pass even if she might not have the most attractive face I've ever seen.

Constricting myself to date in my league would not only hurt my chances of finding a date, but it would hurt my chances of broadening my horizon and maybe finding the woman who is perfect for me. Leagues? They can keep 'em.