Should I be worried that the guy I'm dating believes in aliens?

He seems great so far. He's 32 and I'm 22 however then only thing that genuinely puts me off of him is the fact that he believes in aliens. I thought that was a childish thing but he really believes in UFOs etc. is this weird? I find it strange.

Most Helpful Guy

• There are a lot of adults who believe in aliens. I'm personally more of a skeptic, but I've met plenty of otherwise rational people who believe in aliens.

Unless you are one of those people who is really narrow minded, and only believes what you see on TV or are taught in school, this by itself shouldn't bother you.

However, it could be a red flag, if he shows other signs of extreme paranoia or delusional thinking. You have to decide if he's just a normal guy with a slightly eccentric belief (and though believing in aliens may seem weird, a lot of political beliefs are even weirder) or if he's a tin-foil hat crazy person who lives in their own reality. The latter may seem fun at first, but is usually a sign of a personality disorder that will cause problems in a relationship.

What Guys Said 17

• Uhh what... so you think Earth is the only planet that has life on it when we are not even 0.001% of the whole known universe? That to me seems more childish than someone believing that life exists outside of our solar system. I'm sure there are way more planets out there that have life on them but I doubt that any of them are spying on us or taking our people. But you never know, weird things do happen.

• This is the only planet with life obit end of discussion.

• Was going to answer the question but the comments on other answers show extreme stupidity.

• Yeah just walk away man, don't ever argue with an idiot because they will drag you to their level and beat you with experience. Some famous person said that line I think.

• With the Universe being as big as it is I find it unrealistic to think that the only life within it is on this single planet.

Now with that being said, having a Hollywood perception of aliens is something entirely different. Believing that the governments of the world are in contact with alien beings or that we have salvaged alien spacecraft and are reverse engineering the technology is a bit... Off.

• Well if he thinks that there's a possibility that there could be life in the universe besides on earth I don't see a problem with that. If he gets all crazy that there are reptillian shapeshifters from the third dimension taking over our planet then I'd be concerned.. It depends on how hardcore and in the clouds he is with it I guess...

• There are a lot of legitimately unexplained stories about UFOs and many credible people that have supported these accounts. I myself don't believe in UFOs and aliens visiting Earth from the sheer probability against it, but this is the 21st century and with all the documentation and experts out there on it this isn't really considered crazy nowadays as it's perfectly possible.

Of course if he has some unhealthy obsession over it you might want to pull back, otherwise there's nothing strange about curiosity in the unexplained.

• It depends on if he's like obsessed with the idea of aliens or merely believes that there is "life out there." If he just feels like there's a possibility of extraterrestrial life, no big deal. But if he's like constantly online talking about aliens believing in all sorts of abductions and takeovers then I'd take concern.

• He seems to believe in it quite a bit. He told me about a bunch of hikers dying of unknown causes up a mountain in Russia and apparently the cause was extra terrestrial or something. I don't think he believes in addictions though. (I hope not anyway)

• "Life doesn't exist anywhere but Earth? That's like filling a cup with ocean water and saying there aren't any whales in the ocean." -Astrophysicist Neil Degrasse Tyson, PhD

"To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational." Theoretical Physicist, Cosmologist, Stephen Hawking, PhD

Team A:
    Random 18-24 year old girl.

Team B:
    Two of the greatest minds of humanity today.

Sign me up for Team B, the "childish" group.

• I don't think it's weird unless he goes all fanatic about it. I'm more curious why you don't think extra-terrestrial lifeforms exist. I mean, there's countless planets out there with their own suns and their own atmospheres. The probability that we are the only planet that can support life is less probable than there being more than one life-bearing planet in the universe - even if that planet can only sustain small amounts of single cellular organisms, that's still life.

• Hey, I believe in aliens. It's not childish. Many many adults thought the world was going to end in 2000 or something like that. Just because there is/was no proof doesn't mean it's childish or anything to be worried about. It's just one of his interests, beliefs. Everyone has interests and beliefs. Including you. So you got nothing to worry about.

• I don't think it's weird. After all, people believe in all kinds of interesting things (god comes to mind as a good example). I think a person's level of fanaticism is really what determines whether or not it becomes an issue. Is he hardcore and over the top about it?

• Maybe a little over the top? Vivid imagination

• Yeah, I personally wouldn't care that much. You'd be surprised at how many people believe in the existence of alien life forms. I'm sure the figure is pretty freaking high.

• In the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless he's got a secret room dedicated to finding ET's and UFO's and conversing with his community of buddies intent on converting everyone who doesn't believe in them.

• No you shouldn't be worried in my opinion. If he believes in aliens then that's fine. Lots of people, even adults, believe there is some sort of life outside of this planet. However, if he is obsessed and starts acting weird due to this belief then I would find reason to worry.

• In an universe so vast, you have to wonder, are we really the only ones out here. Think about it. We live in a house, inside of a city/farm etc.. which is inside of a state/country (wherever it is you live) inside a continent, on the planet which is in only one of millions of galaxies. Don't you think maybe there might be something else out there?

• There was a poll, and over 51% of Americans believe there is some other form of life out there. So, it really isn't abnormal at all.

• No. You should be worried if he believes in god.

• Google the drake equation, mathematically there's probably life out there, it just depends on his behavior and if he's weird about it.

• It's weird, but it's relatively common I'm afraid. I'd be careful, because while it's not a definite sign of crazy, it's a symptom.

• I agree with the others. It's not weird, but in fact likely that aliens do exist somewhere. I wouldn't hold it against him unless he wears a tinfoil hat and thinks that they're reading his mind.

What Girls Said 15

• After reading everyone else's posts I feel the need to point out that an "alien" wouldn't necessarily look like what you see it TV. It wouldn't necessarily be E. T. or anything. An "alien" could possibly well be in the form of ANY animal which if you think about isn't all that far fetched. I mean we have only categorized less than 15% of animals ON EARTH, many of those not found live in the sea, so who's to say that there aren't more animals on other planets?
    "Alien" doesn't mean "gray human" it means life on any other planet.

I agree with RedThread. The idea in itself isn't really that crazy or far fetched, but if he's obsessive about it, then that's a cause for concern.

• Technically, if you found a dog on a planet that was just there.. just like an Earth dog THAT would be an "alien". Technically, if you found a little bit of bacteria on any planet THAT would be considered an "alien" as well.. with that being said are aliens really that far fetched of an idea?

• "The idea in itself isn't really that crazy or far fetched, but if he's obsessive about it, then that's a cause for concern." I agree with that too

• I don't think there's anything weird about it... I mean I kind of also believe in aliens or at least some other type of beings possibly out there (it's a biiiig universe out there!). I'm a totally normal person too so I don't see what there is to be worried about. I think a lot of people believe in something else being out there. Maybe just not the aliens we imagine them to be with the big head and eyes. They could look totally different.

• I personally think its a little weird if anyone believes that in this massive endless universe that we are apart of, that we are the ONLY species. I think that point of view is a joke because there is countless accounts that we are not, and yet people believe what they want because the government tells you its not true. With that said, there is nothing wrong with his beliefs on the topic of aliens. There are more actual bizarre things that he could be bizarre thongs he could believe in... like the tooth fairy it Santa clause.

• Excuse my errors... im on a phone.

• ... and you know this because?

• Haha... everyone is subject to their own opinion here. And this is mine. I don't really care to argue whether we are all alone in the universe or not because it is off topic. Secondly QA, if you want to worry about something like him having his beliefs then do what you want and whatever make you happy. Good day.

• Dude, if that's the only thing that puts you off about him, you're going to be okay. Trust me on that. by the way I don't see what's so bad about believing that there could be life in other planets. The Universe is a very big place.

• And how is that any weirder from a person who believes there is an invisible man up in the sky watching over us? Our every move and if you do something bad he punishes you! hahahah! It's just as crazy as believing in aliens, but i'm more inclined to believe in aliens, because we live on a planet and there are thousands of other planets that we don't even know about, so what makes us so special to be the only ones existing in this universe or another? There must be some other form of a life somewhere! even if it's thousands and thousands and thousands of light years away.

• How do you know he's not right? We really have no idea whether or not they do exist but I think it's much more likely that they do considering how big the universe is. In any case, as long as his beliefs don't get in the way of his responsibilities or cause him to hurt people, what does it matter? That's the great thing about our society, we can believe whatever we want! He might be just as put off that you don't believe in aliens.

• haha I wouldn't be worried... it is just someones belief! not really childish just different. oh, and if that is you in your pic love the make up and think you are gorgeous I am jelly! =]

• Aww thank you that's really nice, if that's you in your pic you have absolutely nothing to be jealous of because you look beaut too! :)

• ahhaha right and thanks gorg!

• gorge* I think sounds better haha

• It does seem childish for a 32-year-old guy...

But if I were you, as long as he's not obsessed with it and have posters of UFOs or something, then I guess it's just like someone believing in astrology... I don't have to believe in it too but I can respect the person. Again, as long as he's not constantly talking about UFOS and Klingons and whatever.

• I don't think it is weird. It is not right to put him down just because he believes in something you don't. I bet you do something he finds weird but does not concern himself over it. I can believe it is possible to have other life beyond us. I believe in demons, ghost, and spirits. I have had some strange things happen to me and some of my family. So does that make me weird? or Something worth ruining a relationship over? I would hope not.

• "I have had some strange things happen to me and some of my family. So does that make me weird? or Something worth ruining a relationship over? I would hope not."

When your partner is mature, 'no.' Certainly not.

• Well, back in my hometown everyone had an experience with ghosts, so it's not news to me!

• That's really cool! When I bring it up to some of my friends they try to bring up logical explanations. Maybe because nothing has ever happened to them or they don't believe in it. It also could be that they think its "childish" lol.

• I‘d be worried if the guy I was dating didn‘t believe in aliens

• He isn't the only person who believes in aliens. You shouldn't be worried. It's not weird

• No. Aliens exist. I just don't have any proof yet.

• Watch 'Save The Green Planet' and you won't think he's weird

• Actually, A LOT of people believe in the existence of extra-terrestrials.
    I, myself, believe in them as well. I think it's silly and a bit arrogant to think we are the ONLY sentient beings in the entire universe, haha!
    It's not childish to believe in aliens. That's like saying believing in God is childish. It's not, it's just what they believe to be true about our existence.

• There is a guy on here that wants to confront former President George HW Bush about the government covering up the existence of aliens. To answer your question. I would find it odd.