Ladies, do you believe in the phrase,"the clothes make the man"?

If you see a guy that looks decent but some of his clothes are a bit rough, would you be more likely to pass him up and talk to someone else?

Most Helpful Girl

• The clothes don't matter much to me as long as he is well groomed/clean/smells good... that kind of stuff. I sat next to a guy in class one time that was really cute and dressed really nice, but he smelled all the time every day. It not only made me not interested in him, but I had to move all the way across the room from him just to get away. So showering is probably top on my list of things guys can do to be attractive.

What Girls Said 19

• No. Character makes the man. Clothes make a outward appearance which has nothing to do with the person you are inside. People who think that clothes make a person are being shallow in my opinion.

• Thank you! It's refreshing to hear that from a girl, my jacket that I wear, is the only one I have, I wear it both to work and just out in general, because of my job it has taken a beating, I always think that because of my shabby clothes, I won't be a success with women.

• Same here.. my job is rough on jeans and jeans are not cheap I try to catch them when they are on sale but I never have any luck in my size 34x36

At one point one pair would only last me about 3 months before it had a hole in it..

• no way. that's like prefering a candy bar for it's wrapper.

• Define rough? As long as he looks neat and his clothes isn't like dirty then it's not going to be a big deal.

• Not at all, but it is extremely attractive if they dress well (and by well I dont mean expensive.) But if a guy wears sweatpants and the same t-shirt every day then I will admit it repels me to a degree.

• No you have it backwards the man makes the clothes.

• Bit rough as in? If the guy looks decent and non-threatening , I would talk to him.

• Unfortunately, for both sexes first impressions do count. And women are subconsciously attracted to men who are confident, powerful and well off more than just good looks because subconsciously these traits indicate a good provider. However, once a woman gets to know a man, you can be gorgeous, wealthy, powerful, etc., but if you come off as a jerk or a bad person, it doesn't matter. Women will go with a man who is kind, intelligent and more likely to be a good husband and father.

• Yes and no.. it all depends on his daily style/what he's wearing but at the same time it doesn't matter. It all depends on how he presents himself IN the clothes

• No but they are important

• no clothes honestly don't matter that much. sure it's nice if you look nice but just because you're not wearing all name brands doesn't mean I'm not going to talk to you. Personality matters more :)

• HAVE YOU SEEN TITANIC?

• As long as they're clean, they're fine

• Yes, if someone is wearing a garden suit in a club And Crocs FOR example, I think ill pass. Haha

• If the personality is there, yes! And ashamed to admit it, I might

• No, I think having nice clothes is a good first impression, but if they seem like a nice person why should I care how they dress?

• The man make the man.

• Sorry... but yes. I would totally pass him up.

• They do on a superficial level. Clothes can make a big impact.

• well i am going to quote: "because in the end of the day, all we care about is looks, no one falls in love with your personality at first sight". i read in a coment that with rough you meant "Kinda torn up and dirty". it depends on the girl. since i am kind of obsessed with clothes, i might have a problem at first, before knowing you better. (you may call me shallow)

• No, you aren't shallow, I shoulda clarified, the Torn and dirty comment referred to my work clothes.

• ohh! In that case SUPER HOT!

• Yea, coming from a guys point of view, even though it's just work clothes, it's still kind of embarrassing for a girl to see me in these ratty clothes, it makes me feel silly.

What Guys Said 2

• People take you more seriously when you dress nicer, with men and woman.

If i wear sweatpants not much seriousness there. If i wear a suit? I'm ready to make a deal...

• I know when I dress well, I get treated well whether they are men or women I encounter. People tend to trust you more in a suit or a nice sweater than if you are wearing shorts and a t-shirt.