"Young people don't date as much anymore" True or false?

We are both 20 y/o men.

A friend said to me (I'm paraphrasing it):

" You're too idealistic. Women (and guys) don't really "date" as much anymore. The idea of calling a girl, going out for coffee, then going to a museum, movie, horseback riding or whatever for a second date isn't what most people our age do anymore.

Not that it's bad or that there aren't young women who do that. It's just that it's mostly people in their late 20's or 30's do these things. "

---

I think what he meant (I'm not sure) was that younger people have less structure. They don't "date". They hangout, chill, go out for a ride together, watch a movie at each others house, maybe go out for drinks. They don't really have plans. They just let things happen.

What are your thoughts?

• Agree (read the whole post first)
  • Disagree (read the whole post first)

Most Helpful Girl

• Date is a subjective word now a days. As a young person I've been on many dates like you described but i agree. Young people have far less structure and expectations on dates. Hanging out and chillin0, going to a club in a group is the norm. That model of dating and required chivalry is considered old fashioned now.
    In addition now a days people are seemingly being far less and less exclusive with others, now is more or less the party era about being young and wild and free, sex is less of a monogamous perk and there are less instances of dating one person seriously all the time. I happen to be in a committed relationship but the majority of young people dont seem to be in the same situation as i am.

What Girls Said 2

• I do think that young people nowadays tend to let things just happen moreso than ever, but that's because we have the opportunity to. We have cellphones and technology at our fingertips that weren't here just a decade ago which allow us to do things on a whim. It's easier to have no structure when you have less of a need for one.

• True.
    Young people don't date as much anymore: they f*ck and call it dating.
    It's actually pretty sad. If you talk to a lot of young people who call themselves dating, they're really just messing around sexually and hanging out occasionally. Then when they do have their "dates" it's rarely ever something magnificently romantic or memorable.

• It makes me sad : ( so many young girls with wonderful potential have probably never been dined and wined. Their faces will never light up with the delight Princess Jasmine, Cinderella, and Ariel's did. They'll never soak up those magical romantic moments. So corny, but so true lol

What Guys Said 1

• I think people do whatever they want to do. I know some younger people that enjoy exploring and doing all the "older people stuff" I know I was one of them when I was around 21.