How long do you wait to reply back?

I work 40hrs a week so a lot of times I can read the message, but may not always be able to text back. Like for example today my phone died so it took me a couple hours to text back. Hopefully that's ok. I've always heard to not necessarily text back immediately but to vary the time. How long is too long though?

Most Helpful Girl

• Never fall the stupid rules that were made up by the biggest idiots in the world. When you have a chance text back when you get it and tell her hey whatever sorry I was working or phones dead if you take 12hrs to text her back. If you take over 12hrs depending on the time of day it falls in probably get annoyed. I say 12 because it tends to be the longest work shift and even still there is always breaks and such so if I didn't get a text from someone I was interested in 12hrs id probably think he wasn't interested and friend zone em

What Girls Said 24

• What is this nonsense of waiting to text back? Texting is like having a conversation. If said girl came up to you on the street and said, "Hey, how are you?" Would you stand there and twiddle your thumbs for ten minutes before answering?

I would hope not.

• do what you would do if you were having this conversation in person... would you go out of your way to pause for 48 hours after she asked you a question? No.
    It's common sense and common courtesy to respond as soon as you can and letting her know that you were busy (aka have a life). People KNOW that texting is a mobile conversation rather than a set period time of communication (a phone call), so you answering her later because you were busy is not a problem, but you answering her two days later is an OBVIOUS ignore and would piss anyone off! Why try to get to know someone if they don't take the conversation seriously? You will lose all chances with her by playing games, just text her back as soon as you can.

• Like most of the day, unless you pop up (if you can) and say, "Hey, I'm going to be busy today." Or something. But if not, at least let the person know so they know you weren't ignoring them or something.

Unless I'm driving or working, or in a few of my classes, I text back within 5-10 minutes.

• I don't ever intentionally wait to reply unless the text or message requires a thoughtful response and I'm too preoccupied to deliver that at that moment.
    Too long would be any longer than a day. Then it just looks like you're ignoring them.

• I like having a text from a guy i like all day long, Ill wait up to 15 or 20 ish minutes.
    1-2 minutes makes me feel wanted
    3-5 Very pleased with him xD
    5-10 standard texting to me
    11-15 I start getting a little like "what did I say?"
    15-more I get annoyed and ill take a long time to reply.

If you're at work tho, It should be a different story what I said is based on him on a day off or something when he is at work I expect one at least every hour to two hours just so I know he is thinking of me you know?

• I love it when a guy texts me all day everyday. Obviously that can't happen, as long as you are making an effort that's all that matters. I don't think there is a specific time to wait, but you may want to let her know that its not that you don't want to text but that you are busy. If you regularly only text her one or twice a day, she is going to lose interest.

• I hate when I have to wait too long for an answer to my texts. Half the time I just check out of the conversation because I feel it's obviously not important to the other person if they're not answering. I get people work and I'm cool with that, but if it's every time I talk to someone it takes hours upon hours to get a response, eventually I'll just stop texting them.

• Don't just hold back from texting her back. Women like to get a fast reply from the guy she is into. When we don't get a reply with in an 30mins to an hour. We feel uneasy or that we may be bugging you and other off the wall things. Like maybe he his not into me type deal.

• I don't wait to text back, I text back straight away. If a guy takes ages to text me back I get pissed off

• I agree with twilightsakura.

• Actually, answering immediately (if you have the time for it) may be the best option. =)

• I agree with twilightsakura

• I take ages but only because I hate texting and a lot of people send me messages. I feel as if someone needs to tell me something important they will call me instead of texting me.

• People don't really like waiting for a text back for more than an hour, unless that's the way they text you. But if you feel comfortable enough then tell them your work situation and if you're trying to date then they should understand then they will know you're not disinterested. Or, just bring a phone charger or read it when you know you can answer and then give them an exciting text back (meaning not boring or plain)! Good luck :)

• Over a day and a half is too long.

• I usually tet the person right back.

• up to 48 hours

• I personally get annoyed when I don't get answered in about 15/20 minutes (unless you have a reason)

• Like 2 hrs

• few days is long.. my friends sometimes took days to reply me

• i am responsive to my messages, i would tend to reply back on time otherwise end of the day

• It's childish to wait to reply to a text. Just answer the damn text, at most it'll make a girl feel like you actually give a shit about her. If you don't then don't talk to her, it's simple as that. If you absolute must wait an extended amount of time to reply 10 minutes is tops. Hours and hours is just mean. And make sure you explain to her your work dilemma, so that she's not sitting around waiting for you to want to talk to her.

• Idk who your texting but if it's someone your interested in let her know why it takes long to answer

• Most people work 40 hours a week. Full time job. And they still manage to text back

• I usually answer all my texts back as soon as I get them. I have an iPhone and with the iPhones you can see when the person reads and is typing so I usually just make sure they know I read it.

• Honestly, don't over think it. If you want to reply back right away, do it. If you can't get back to them and feel like it's been a long time, just apologize when you do respond like Hans222 said.

What Guys Said 14

• don't bother with these games you've been taught

text back when you have the time. don't wait any certain amount of time. If I were on the other end and it seemed like someone was constantly waiting a few hours to respond I'd presume they are either not that interested or too busy and I'd be done with the whole thing. If you like someone respond when you can

• I reply as soon as I can... I don't do it because i'm 'desperate' or whatever, more because I only had a certain amount of free time when I was working and playing 'mind games' is something that no one likes. I was working 18 hour days, around 5 days a week but up to 7 days at some points so I couldn't reply all the time, it also means that when I was free I wasn't going to play hard to get.

• I just reply when I can. If it was either 5 seconds later, or 5 hours, you know it is when I was able to.

• The simple trick is: if you have the feeling answering may have taken you longer than you would have liked, just mention it.
    A simple statement like "sorry for only answering now, was a bit in trouble here" gives the other the feeling that it's not a question of "him/her nog making time for me"...

• A gal should know WHEN to expect a reply at least; e. g. honey when I'm at work/school, I'm only able to text back at... 10-2-4. If I don't then my stupid phone went dead or I got called into a meeting & will be back to you ASAP

• If the person is busy all the time the longest would be 2 weeks because they'd forget by then that they were talking to someone. I only reply when i can because i'm focusing on my job to be a singer (so i'd read the message and worry about it later because I have priorities to take care of during the time.)

But if the person isn't busy (that would just stay at home doing nothing) it would take a day because they have a choice to reply because they don't have much to do.

• I feel like with girls, you can message them back right away. That is if they messaged you first at least.

• Anything longer than several hours, basically. If you wait longer than that, you run out of reasonable excuses and you just seem like someone playing games or a flake.

• lol just text back, this texting game is childish. if you like her talk to her

• what is more important, your money, or all the other non important stuff (texting back right away , like u will die without doing it instantly) im sure people are busy just like you so hit them back within your time frame... cash rules everything around me
    CREAM GET THE MONEY (dolla dolla bill y'all) text going to hafi wait mon

• Probably a week would be too long.

• A week would make him seem like an idiot. Whoever would probably forget what they were talking about in the first place or be annoyed it took that long.

• Just reply when you can. People should understand that you have work and other priorities

• I usually double the time or match the time that it took the girl unless she messages me real quick

• I think 1 day is too long but answering back immediately is too short, if that makes any sense.