Guys, would you date a woman working in a masculine career field?

There are two unspoken rules among the majority of males in the Air Force. One; don't date a military girl. Two; if you date a military girl, she can't be a maintainer.

This is extremely unfortunate for me because I'm an active duty Airman, and I work as an engine mechanic on F-15 fighter jets.

I just don't see how my career field should dictate how desirable I am. Sure I act like a guy at work, I get dirty, smell like fuel by the end of the day, and I cuss quite a lot. But outside of work I consider myself fairly classy. I don't swear much, I'm very kind, I dress well, and I'm funny without having to bring in the nasty innuendos commonly used around my shop.

It seems that either I'm feared or seen as only a sex object as female mechanics often are. Can't a girl like me just be loved?

Most Helpful Guy

• "I just don't see how my career field should dictate how desirable I am." Well, that's much of a problem for guys than for girls, let's face it.

But here's my own view for my own preferences. Positive: 'caring' roles such as nurse or nanny. Negative: dangerous jobs, such as frontline military (not because these jobs are masculine, but because of the danger of death or injury); sex work (for obvious reasons). Neutral: everything else.

What Guys Said 3

• Coinsidentally I've just commented on an article about a man who wants to become a lady doctor and is worried that women will find him a perverted creep (don't know about women, but I certainly question the motivations of men who want to become gynecologists!)... is it a turn off if the shoe was on the other foot? possibly... I once got friendly with a female Apache pilot and it was a little off-putting to think her job was to gun people down!

• No I would not write you off just coz you work in a masculine workforce. But like you said, how you act outside of work is what matters, and if you have the manners and the looks you're in like Flynn.

• I'm an Air Force officer and I don't believe in that rule. I wouldn't have any problem dating a woman in a masculine career field.

What Girls Said 1

• I work in a male dominated field & that seems to be the train of thought.