Do guys typically bring up the gf bf labeling or do girls have to? In other words make the relationship official.

Is it normal for the guy to bing up the gf bf labeling issue. Ie. Make the relationship official? It is it the girls responsibility?

How many months into the relationship do guys feel ready?

• Guy does it
  • Girl does it
  • Don't label it
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• Neither gender is 'responsible' for making the relationship official. Usually it just comes up in conversation or one just introduces the other as their boyfriend/girlfriend.

As for how long it takes, it depends completely on the couple. It could take a few dates, a few days, a few weeks, a few months, a year, etc. It just depends when the couple decide to become monogamous.

For me, I would have to be able to completely trust the girl and really fall for her in order to make it official. I most likely won't just make her my girlfriend after a few dates.

What Guys Said 3

• It's normal for either to bring it up. If you are dating/seeing/ friends with benefits with someone and you have feelings, regardless of f your the guy or girl, you should communicate them.

Worst case scenario, they don't feel the same way, and you can move on sooner before getting emotionally invested.

• Doesn't really matter, all relationships and people are different. What I would do is ask her right away "do you want to be my girlfriend?"

• Typically i just ask a girl "would you be my girl"

What Girls Said 3

• Generally guys tend to bring it up, as society has almost made it the guy's role to take that initiative. I can't say I really agree with that, though. I think that is fair game for either the girl or the guy, depending on that particular pairing's situation.

With me, for example, my boyfriend told me he liked me in October. He kind of caught me off guard as we had been talking for just over a month after last seeing each other 2 years ago, so I said I wasn't ready for anything more than friends. We continued hanging out and of course I developed or acknowledged my feelings for him. I didn't expect him to ask me out again as I had already turned him down. I asked him to join me for dinner in January, during which I found out where he stood on what he had told me about how he felt. He confirmed that he was still into me, and so I scored a great guy by taking initiative. :)

• I hate labeling the relationship as 'boyfriend and girlfriend' when it's serious. I'd rather say lover or simply 'we're just seeing each other'. It feels a little immature to first label it as bf gf. I think once the relationship is exclusive enough and you've discussed it, you can refer to each other that way. But until then, those words will leave scars. To answer half of your question.. it doesn't matter who it is, it's not about the gender, it's about who's dominant and who's submissive in the relationship. And sometimes it's the weaker one that feels the need to get security out of knowing, and sometimes it's the one in control that likes to make sure the relationship is safely held at hand.
    It's not about the labels though, it's about the circumstances and the actions... the events, that make a relationship serious and ''official''.

• No one is responsible, its a mutual decision and although women should feel comfortable and entitled initiating the pace of the relationship, its not their responsibility. Whoever feels ready first is the one who should do it. In my experience men were the ones to ask but I wouldn't be averse to asking if I felt like it.

My previous boyfriends waited between a few days and a month to ask me but that was in high school. Today I would probably want to be dating the person or at least know them very well and communicate regularly for at least two months.