Do you think it honestly is unreasonable for the guy to be expected to pay for the meal/date?

Before you answer, consider this: girls have a lot to pay for in order to make themselves look nice for the guy. They have to pay for make-up, skin care products, hair-care products, and cute clothes that are often highly over-priced. These expenses all add up, so it's not like the girl isn't spending any money for the guy's sake either. If a girl is spending money to make herself look hot, isn't it only fair a guy spends money to be dating said hot girl?

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly, this is one of the dumbest rationalizations I've ever heard. Guys have to take care of themselves too, plus they generally have to have a car, which has to be kept cleaned, mechanically maintained, fueled and insured, just to get you to the date. I promise you that alone costs far more than your hair and make-up (unless you are spending wildly and/or are brand-obsessed). It's not like a guy can walk to your door in ratty old jeans and take you on a date on his skateboard.

Besides, are you suggesting that, if it wasn't for the date, that you wouldn't be wearing the same make-up or clothes? Please. I have sisters, and I've lived with women - none of them have ever needed the excuse of a date, or even a guy, to doll themselves up or to spend money on clothes, shoes, and make-up. They do all that for themselves as much or more than for guys.

I'm a traditionalist, and I usually pay for dates, but that's because I *WANT* to, not because it's "fair", because objectively, it isn't.

Maybe a PROM, where the girl is buying an expensive outfit and hairstyle/makeup for a rare event; THAT is an exception to the rule, and your argument has some validity. But a normal, routine date? You can't be serious.

What Guys Said 6

• By that logic, why shouldn't women have to pay for a guy if he spends money to impress a girl? How about the monthly cost of his gym membership? How about when a guy buys a nice car to impress a girl? You wouldn't accept these costs as a reason to make you pay for a guy. What a person spends their money on is their own business. That doesn't entitle you to have money spent on you.

Ultimately it is for the woman's benefit that she spends money on those things you mentioned. Women do those things increase the number and quality of men she has access to. Often it is simply to show off to other women. Most guys don't even understand fashion, so blaming the cost of your clothes on keeping a guy happy, makes no sense.

• Not at all. I expect to pay cuz most likely I asked her out. That's only fair. Although after we've been dating for a while, its kinda fun for her to make a date and pay for everything just for a change of pace but that's an exception to the rule. Some girls I know are uncomfortable with that cuz they think the guy expects something in return but most guys don't think that way and if they do you just kick them in the nuts and send them somewhere else lol.

• Guys do NOT think about how much money it took for a girl to look beautiful. That should have nothing to do with whether the guy should pay for the meal or not...
    Guys put in effort to look good too, I know I do.
    The guy should pay for the meal. No questions asked. It's called being a gentleman. It's how it's been for years and it's how it still is.
    But the amount of effort a girl puts in decides that a guy should pay for the meal... Really?

• we never asked the girl to put on make-up. or anything else. we would expect that the girl take care of herself because we care for her.

I have never dated, but I would think that by todays standards of money and the economy, the best way to solve the money issues is to just split the cost. maybe he pays one day and she pays the next. besides I would think that the guy who actually get girls, and go on dates have to pay way more in the end, especially when first dates are often a flop.

• We don't like the shit you smear in your face anyway. Stop imagining things. Then you wave feminism flags and bash on guys being courteous. What are we supposed to think of that.

• Just outrageous. Women use beauty products because they have self-confidence issues and then you come and allege we actually like the crap? It is at best annoying at worst you look like shit. Seriously.

• This is only true in certain situations. When a girl and a guy meet for lunch at the local cafe she isn't spending $200 on cosmetics and buying a new dress in order to prove her class. Under the system you suggest, of course, it is absolutely reasonable the male pay the date and the female get ogled for her work but under most circumstances this just isn't the case.

What Girls Said 6

• Yes it's incredibly unreasonable. Guys spend money on making themselves look good too. Maybe not as much, but still. They spend money on nice clothes, good cologne, hair styling products, watches/other accessories etc.
    It's easier to just split the bill. Just because you willingly make yourself pretty (even though nobody is forcing you) it doesn't mean the guy should always pay for your meal. Just because you were able to throw a nice dress on, put some mascara on your eyelashes and curl your hair for 20 minutes, it doesn't make you entitled to a free meal. That's like a guy feeling entitled to get sex from girls just because he's being nice to them.

• Thinking about my budget, with make-up, clothes, other hygiene products... vs. a guy's budget, with dinner, gas, clothes, hygiene products, whatever else... I'd say the guy ends up paying more. But then, I don't wear gobs of make-up, and I only buy clothes which are worth buying (so nothing over-priced), so maybe it works out differently for other people. *shrug*

I like to split the cost of the date. Or, if I asked him out, I can pay. If he asks me out, he can pay. Seems fair enough.

• Yeah but a lot of girls spend money on clothes and makeup that they guy really doesn't even notice. So that's really on the girl for spending all that money unnecessarily. For me, if I have a job then I'm fully capable of paying for a meal every now and then. I never really got why its always on the guy to pay for things.

• It's unreasonable in my opinion. If the guy insists on paying the bill it's okay but girls shouldn't expect that. For gods sake, we're living in the 21. century, women are independant and can pay their own bills. And honestly, the money a girl spends on makeup and clothes, she would spend anyway. I mean I don't buy a brand new wardrobe to impress a guy and I would prefer if he likes me for my personality not the way I do my hair. Also, I could imagine that guys also spend money on clothes and perfume so this is not really an argument. Please don't take this personal, its just my opinion but spending money to date a hot girl sounds really materialistic and superficial.

• I'd rather split the bill. That way... we don't 'owe' each other anything.

• In all honesty yes it is unreasonable. I would rather split the bill.