Can girls and guys be JUST friends?

Alright Ladies and Gents we have seen this question all over media sites, magazines and what not. Many polls have been taken and interviews given asking both parties, if it is possible for a Guy and a Girl to be JUST friends. I am pretty firm in my opinion on this question, However I would still Like to hear your opinions!

Let me Rephrase. Can Guys and Girls be Just friends without attraction getting in the way?

Most Helpful Guy

• Of course. It'd be honestly odd if after being able to value someone as a person, your primary response would be wanting to f*** them, in EVERY SINGLE CASE. It gets even simpler to achieve this if you're in a relationship, and so is the other person; but you still like each other AS PEOPLE to hang out with, talk to, converse with, and are able to understand each other and care about each other, as FRIENDS tend to do.

Honestly though, if I want to analyze another specific instance of relation concepts, "friends with benefits" exist. When you clearly are attracted to each other, you even have sex, but HELL NO you're not going to live together. You're still friends, you still understand each other. And would you look at that, "attraction" did not make people hate each other, nor cause as much trouble as you make it seem. If you're really technical about it, an actual well-functioning 'romantic relationship' should be a friends with benefits relation with "commitment", or I should say mutual monogamous intent.

What Guys Said 14

• Well.there's an another factor in play here.

Which is that girls tend not to know what they want, and guys almost always know what they want.

When a girl doesn't know what she wants, it's easy for her to be friends with whoever without really thinking about it. But I think guys are more aware of what's at stake when you're "just friends" with a girl.

That doesn't mean it's impossible to just be friends. It certainly isn't. And even with some mutual feelings, two people can remain friends if that's all they're looking for from each other. Even close friends. It is of course much harder if the feelings aren't mutual.

So I think it's certainly possible, but I think many guys would hesitate more when using the "just friends" label. When a guy meets a girl, he's already thought about all the possible outcomes. He'll accept the label of "friend", but the label is not what he considers important. He cares more about whether he wants to be "just friends" or not. If he decides no, then the label is almost meaningless. If he decides yes, then he either knows feelings won't develop or has decided that he wants to remain friends regardless if they do.

• Would you say the same would still apply in a way, if the guy had a girlfriend?

• just a question, haha you have good insight, thanks for sharing your opinion!

• Haha, you're welcome Miss emerald_isle ^_^

• Can they? Of course.

Is it common? Depends what you mean by common. I'm sure there are millions of cases of it, but they're a small percentage of male-female friendships.

-Most- male female friendships, one partner wants the other, more often the male.

• If you know anything about psychology of attraction, you must have heard of 'The Ladder Theory'. If not, go to www.laddertheory.com . You'll understand that only a girl can be 'just friends' with a guy. For a guy to be 'just friends' the girl has to be outright ugly. Otherwise, there is always some degree of sexual attraction, which is suppressed and not expressed, but is always there.

• yes. I have and have had plenty of platonic female friends in my life

• YES...YES...YES...YES... & oh, YES...
    all my life this has been possible
    only the really ignorant
    and the lazy (I'll just love what's close & handy)
    can't believe it
    and RUIN it for others

• No. I wouldn't spend much time with them anymore, to avoid being emotional tampon, gay male girlfriend.

• Of course. This world would be a pretty unfriendly place for me if I only got to be friends with men. I find most of my women friends attractive but in a way that respects the relationship and person so we get to remain friends. Girls can be great friends to have to talk to and get advice from. So can guy be for girls.

• It depends on your definition of a 'friend'. Would you call us friends if we never had any physical contact but I would have sex with you in an instant?

• Absolutely. All my friends are female.

• Yes. i'm friends with a hot japanese girl who sleep with a lot of men. on this website of course zaaaaaa

• Friends with friction.
    Im not sure, if the girl is a lesbian and the guy is a gay person then yes

• I think it can be in this relation.

• They can...until they can't. There's just no way to know until you find out. If she's attractive, the odds of success are lower. It's just a fact of human nature.

• Yes, because if a physical attraction has not been noticed when they meet, then yes they can be friends, but it is rare if one or the other has any kind of attraction to each other, because emotions will eventually take part in their choices towards each other, for instance, the girl or boy will take advantage of the others known state, which will then either result in breaking friendship, or giving a relationship between them a chance, but ultimately, they fail to be just friends unless they are not attracted to each other, x

• Yeah, I had a guy friend for years, we spent just bout every day together, I considered him my best friend even over all my other Friends that were women, and I knew he had feelings for me, he would never miss an opportunity to tell me how he felt. However I did not return the feelings, yet we still remained friends. there was always this tension there though. eventually it ended up ruining our friendship.

• Its a shame, but this always ends up the same when ever there's the slightest expectation emotionally, and for him it would of been the hope that one day you might reciprocate his advances, but due to you only allowing the friendship progressing no further, he became bitter towards you, which ultimately ruins what was once a great friendship. This is why friends who have already established friendship should never date or fall into a friends with benefits , because it will ruin the strongest of friendships, x

• yes I agree, There was a point, when I told him that I was willing to give a relationship between him and I a chance, but he denied me, and thats when things within the friendship started going down hill.

What Girls Said 10

• Yes most of my friends are male. Male friends are great they don't force you to gossip, talk about boys or watch chick flicks and they are less dramatic even if they are gay . Instead you can do other awesome shit like drink beer together, teasing isn't ever done to purposely hurt people as it is with teenage female friendship , you can goof off and be childish and not be judged for it. And the best thing is that they rarely ever get jealous of your success, clothing , or relationships and they don't bitch you out about your clothes

• Of course. I have several guy friends who aren't attracted to me, and I'm not attracted to them either. But I must say that it's a little bit easier to be friends with guys who are already in a relationship, since they're not actively looking for someone. But otherwise it's definitely still manageable. You just have to find the right type of guy who you click well with, but in a purely platonic sense.

• No. No, no, no. I used to feel the complete opposite and stand so strongly behind it, but after years of the same shit happening, I'm going to have to say we can't. Guys and girls can be friends as long as they're not CLOSE friends, or if the girl is ugly. Otherwise, feelings will absolutely 100% of the time be developed by either party. That, or the guy will get into a relationship and 98% of the time that female will not want him hanging out with another moderately to highly attractive woman or being close with her. Same could happen with the female friend.

• Sure. I have plenty of them.

• of course! but yeah it has happened to me many times that at some point I found out the guy would want something more with me even if thought we are friends and just friends. But there's exceptions too :) and also If a guy has been attracted and has kind of got over it then it's more likely that we can be friends without either of us thinking anything more..

• Yes. Attraction only gets in the way if you let it and it will wear eventually. Just because you want to fuck somebody, doesn't mean you have to. Assuming there is attraction of course. Because there doesn't have to be. The girl could be too tomboyish, fat or rough around the edges. The guy could smell nasty or act too girly. There's a lot of reasons there could be a lack of attraction from both sides.

• No that's why all my guy friends are gay.

• Yes, girls and guys can just be friends but I think there comes a time where the guy eventually thinks what it would be like to be with the girl and vice versa.

Being someone that's had guys as friends this is usually what I know happens.

• Of course, absolutely.
    I've had many guy friends over the years, with NO attraction and no intention of ANYTHING other than friendship.
    SOME people may not be capable of it, but I know I am and I've been friends with tons of others who can as well.

• I have heard many times from men that no, they cannot. For me I just don't see why that is!

• because I think the guys start to form an attraction to the girl, whether it's for relationship purposes or purely physical reasons. and girls sometimes as well. Believe it or not, I have had a crush on all my guy friends that I have had over the years except for about 2 guys.