How do I balance anxiety with a social/dating life?

Since the end of my last "relationship" (if you can even call it that), I've been really struggling with anxiety related to dating and meeting new people. I have never been an outgoing person, and have always run with a very small group of friends. So, I have that going against me to begin with.

Recently, I moved to a new city and sometimes I just feel so alone since I don't have any real friends close to me. But, the idea of meeting people/starting to date someone makes me feel so nervous and anxious, I just end up canceling dates or bailing on plans.

I'm really struggling and trying to figure out how to balance these feelings. How do I overcome the strong feeling I get that makes me say, "screw it, I'll just stay home!"

Any advice?

Most Helpful Guy

• Personally I say do what feels right. If going out doesn't feel right yet, don't go out :)

What Guys Said 2

• If you're really not in the mood to go out, it will definitely affect how you interact with other people. You can try to psyche yourself up like how football players get in a huddle. But, it kind of depends on what your planned activity is. Going to a bar alone can be really scary, especially for women.

Try exercising to release endorphins that make you happier before a planned event? Or, you could also meditate or do some deep-breathing exercises to help you calm down.

• Try some Ambien

What Girls Said 1

• try and find a local counselor or find a local group meeting. you can find them online. you are not alone.