Would you date someone if you're parents didn't really like them?

This guy is SUPER sweet and really cute and funny, the issue is that my mom told me my dad doesn't like him. She said that he thinks he's odd. He's not rude or mean or anything, he is a bit awkward around my parents but I think he's a bit intimidated.

I think it would not be as much of an issue if I hadn't dated him already. I'm not sure why that matters, but I feel like, since I dated him for a while and he spent a lot of time around my parents before, they know him, I feel like they might wonder why I'm with him again if I dated him once before. I don't know.

Something tells me it would be a bad idea but I don't know, I really want to date him again. It's been years since we were together. He's changed a lot, we were super young, it obviously wasn't going to last forever, we were freshman. But we did date for almost a year.

But yeah, my dad doesn't really like him...because he's "odd." What should I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, the reason why your parents don't like him is because they "see" that he's not a good match for you. They gave birth to you. They have plenty of life experience. And if their "Gut Feeling" says that he's odd, it doesn't mean that he's weird. Its just that he's an odd match for you. Or they could be one of those possessive parents who are afraid to see their child go with the wrong partner.

You should patiently sit with your parents and discuss with them about this issue. Tell them that you really like this guy and blah blah blah. And then tell them all sorts of good things about him. If possible, talk to them with your "lover" being present at that place. If talking doesn't solve a problem, then you need to give up on him.

• I don't think my parents would ever tell me not to date him, unless he started being a total douche or something. I think my dad would just sit back and not really like him/his personality...and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

What Guys Said 3

• yes I would and have

• I think you should date him. As long as he treats you right and makes you happy then go for it.

• that was like with someone I dated. her parents didn't like me. I bent over backwards and I got shafted

What Girls Said 2

• I won't listen to my parents even if they oppose and my parents always listen to me anyway.Haha.They think I always make better decisions than them and they always come to me for advice.

• hell yes, i don't give a damn what my folks think. they live their life, i live mine