Guys & Females: What does it really mean when you say you are "talking" to someone? What is the intention?

What does it mean for you to "talk" to someone and what does that process entail? Is the intention of "talking" to vet the person before deciding to actually date them? Is "talking" something to take seriously or is it just a means to fill time and be entertained before you actually find someone you are interested in? What happens in the talking stage that makes you want to take it to the next level of actually dating? Just curious because the dating scene today is different and is a little more complicated..just wanted to hear some viewpoints.

Most Helpful Guy

• I actually mean talking like it sounds like. However, my friends think of it as an attempt to get to know the person they like, and for that person to get to know them. Whether it's serious or not is up to the people who are involved, I guess? I guess it's sort of like having your eyes on someone, except verbally. I guess if it seems like you're hitting it off then you decide you want to date them. I'm just going off what I here from my bros so I guess I'm not too credible unfortunately, sorry. :(

• When you say you "actually mean you are talking like it sounds like," you mean verbally having conversation face to face? lol and yeah, the term can be hard to define..I tend to think of it as getting to know someone you might potentially be interested in/find attractive. texting and maybe hanging out..and i agree, I think "talking" can be casual or if youve been consistently talking for a while it could get serious and progress to actual dating..so weird tho.. today's lingo and the dating process of this generation can get confusing. lol what happened to traditional methods when everything was simple...haha lbs

• hahaha yes, go ahead and pat yourself on the back. give yourself props. I would say that what you said was pretty correct. lol

• Yes! xD

What Guys Said 2

• This is really random and you probably know the answer to what you're asking already but you just want to hear people's opinions on it, but I wanted to tell you that you're very intelligent. You try to go into detail or in depth about the matter. I like that. Don't change.

• Why thank you so much. That means a lot for you to recognize that and to compliment me for it. thank you, i appreciate it. and I won't change. ;) lol i will definitely try to remain this way and stand out amongst some of my peers in this generation. I really enjoy deep thought and provoking conversation. thanks!

• Intelligence is very attractive and you wow me every time with your words haha. I'm pretty straight forward but I have a problem with articulating or phrasing what I want to portray to a person. I really need to increase my vocabulary and read more, that's my problem. But I've been procrastinating on that. I think that's great when you stand out. A quote, "Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out?'". Keep engaging! And you're welcome! Anytime. :)

• It means all of you wrote. And more, and less. How is the dating scene more complicated today than before?

• people's intentions are not clear. or they are underhanded. People are not upfront and honest all the time. People (both guys and girls) may not really be that interested and still waste time talking just for the sake of it until they find someone else. Sometimes talking doesn't even lead to friendship, you just all of a sudden one day stop texting and end all communication. Some try to "run game" through text & just hope for sexual activity. It can be very strange dating in today's world. People aren't as genuine, gentlemanly or ladylike for that matter, compared to older days where people actually went out on dates and courted people rather than IMing and texting and "chilling."

• Ouch. I'm not that old. I think. I mostly date women 22 to 27, so not really "mature women with strong mindsets". Not that's there's anything wrong with that...

I'll admit I could get a lot more women than I do. I turn down a lot of offers, maybe because I'm sexed out and really don't need to validate myself anymore. Maybe I am old.

I'm 30, and I'm probably going back to school part time next September to get a masters. Am I going to be the creepy guy hanging around campus?

• lol I dont mean older as in "OLDER" i mean like the upper range of the younger age group. just the "upper" you get in age, usually that accompanies more maturity and honesty and serious consideration when it comes to dating. Im 21 and not necessarily. lol we have master students on campus too and its not really weird. students know why y'all there. aha its common. maybe just dont expect to go to the parties. :/ hahaha

What Girls Said 1

• "Talking" to someone means you're interested in them, that they are a potential bf/gf.