How successful is online dating?

Share your good experiences and bad.
How long did it take to get a date?
Not sure whether to bother with it or not.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well I have been divorced 4 months now. I started the online dating thing 1 month ago. I did not have much hope as I have fairly low self esteem and self confidence. Although I do not let that show to new people.
    I started on POF.com and Tinder. All of a sudden I had a number of people responding. I got in a bit over my head as I was chatting with 7 women at one point. See I didn't think I would get a reply. maybe one if I was lucky. SO I would send messages to a bunch of women. I have learned you send out one or two and give it a day or two to see if they reply. Then once I am chatting with a woman I hide my profile so nobody new can see me. I am the type that will only see one person at a time.
    So it took me about two days to have a match on Tinder. Then I sent her a message and she replied the next day. we chatted all that Sunday. We had our first date the next day.
    I have had 4 dates from online. 2 from Tinder and 2 from POF.com both times we chatted for a day or two then agreed to meet for drinks. Another one we started chatting in the afternoon and met that night (that one was a disaster).
    I realize I need to just take it slow and see what develops. I am going on a 2nd date tonight with someone I like very much. we met Monday and 2 hours never went by so fast. lots in common. she is just beautiful. I have a real good feeling about this but I don't want to get ahead of myself.
    Take a chance.. what do you have to lose?
    THe difference will be as a woman there are a lot of asshole men out there. many are just looking to hook up for sex. It has to be really hard being a single woman and getting hit on all the time. If you want any specific details just message me. I will be happy to answer anything I can.

• I still think that if you are a person like me...I don't have friends, I work from home, I am more of a loaner, it is really the only way to meet people. I mean I would never date someone I met at a bar. And what do you know about someone you meet randomly on the street? at least online you have a base amount of information right off the bat.

• They could be leaving shit out on their profiles dude. I don't mind meeting people off the street. Strangers are strangers until they become friends.

You must be one good looking bastard. I've been on it for 6 months and have only chatted up a Taiwanese girl that wants to practice her English lmao

• They could leave a lot out..how is that any worse then meeting some random person? at least they made an attempt so you know they are looking to meet people. I am not going to just start talking to some random woman on the street. I am just not that kind of guy, I never have been. Plus I think women think that is creepy. I also cannot judge age at all. I mean you can tell if someone is really young or really old but I want to have some idea going in. I don't think I am anything special. But I must admit my ego has had a big boost from my experience. I thought I would go the rest of my life without sex or a date. not so.
      Have you really tried? I don't just wait for them to contact me. You have to try and talk to them.. You also have to ask them out. otherwise it is never ending chats.

What Guys Said 4

• Its like anything else, you are dealing with people, and people tend to not always be truthful. Not everyone in online dating is broken, or untruthful, but a lot of them are. Many people that are on dating sites tend to lie, or exaggerate a lot of who and what they are. Also take into account that not everyone is looking for the same thing. A lot of dating sites are used for hookups than anything.
    Dating sites to give you the opportunity to meet new people that you would not normally meet, but some times you find people on these sites are willing to settle, or lower their standards just to be with someone.
    Its like normal dating, but the pool of people you can meet is right there in front of you.

• Don't fall for those stupid match.com commercials. Online dating is a scam and takes advantage of lonley, desperate and broken people that don't know any better. Don't fall for it. Most profiles on dating sites are not even active, the ones that are are mostly screw ups, married people and weirdos. Most pictures are of the person when they were 19 and 20 and wieghed 80l or 100lbs less than they do now. You just setting yourself up for dissapoinmtment if you sign up.

• it's definitely not a scam. people need to have patience, pragmatic expectations, but mostly patience. I'm sure some of the less reputable services may post a lot of scams but the major one's definitely are not.

• I met my fiancĂ© on a dating site. so I would recommend it. the process (like going through different dates, or reaching out to people and not hearing back) can be tedious and disheartening and obviously not all people's experience end in ultimate success. but I would recommend it if for no other reason to expand your dating possibilities

• Huge waste of time. Online = broken people, generally.

What Girls Said 7

• I have never been on a dating site, but my brother met his wife on Match (I think) like 6 years ago. It honestly surprised me because it was supposed to be a joke account that we signed him up for, lol.

You can be more specific with the type of person you're looking for, so in that way I think dating sites are really good. You can weed out people you're not interested in (and likewise you won't be connected with people who aren't going to be interested in you). I think it can work for most people.

• I've gone on dates with a guy I met on tinder. It was alright, nothing bad.
    I just prefer meeting someone face to face haha

• But it's harder for guys cuz we have to approach

• It's really not that hard, just start a conversation with her. You don't have to hit on her right off the bat or even have anything rehearsed to say. Just let the conversation flow on its own.

• exactly

• I've never done it myself but my grandpa met his wife through e harmony! haha and they are literally perfect for each other!

• It's worth the shot. You really have nothing to lose. I've met a few good guys, but things didn't work out. But I'm currently talking to a pretty great guy. Chatting for several months, planning on meeting soon. :)

• Well, I used a dating website for almost almost two month for "fun". It was more physical with men than anything else until I found THE man of my life and nine month later, we're still together and actually living together :)

• I've had a good experience when it comes to online dating. I've met some really sweet people and my fiancee online. The key is taking everything with a grain of salt. Use your head as well as your heart.

• Freaks, rejects and broken souls swamping the sites

• I'm none of the above and neither is my fiancĂ©... probably not smart to make such generalizations