Could you date someone who stutters frequently?

I have mild stuttering problems. Some days I hardly stutter at all, but other days its pretty difficult talking normally.

Would this be a problem for you dating them?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah I have a stutter.. It's not serious or anything but it does slip out every now and then. It can get bad when I'm really tired I've noticed because I'm not focusing on suppressing it as much.

It's weird how so many people think stuttering is all a confidence thing.. I can have all the confidence in the world and stutter sometimes. Nowadays people say it has a genetic AND a psychological component. It tends to be more common in certain families for instance.

It's psychological in the sense that I can speak to myself when I'm alone and I never stutter. Hell I can have full blown conversations with myself and it never manifests itself. Then I'll talk to someone else 5 minutes later with the same confidence level and BAM there's the stutter.

I've gone days without it then randomly the next day it shows up again. It isn't like I'm a shy guy or anything. Nerves can exacerbate it because most stutterers were made fun of for it growing up at some point so it's something that's always on our minds. Damn Shyamalan and his Sixth Sense movie because assholes called me stuttering Stanley after that was released ;)

Anyway it's not so bad now that I'm older. The best way to avoid stuttering in my opinion? Don't think about it. If it is on your mind then learn to become a pretty good walking thesaurus so you can substitute words you "know" you will stutter saying in a sentence with "safe" words. These words change frequently as well. All stutterers will know what I'm talking about here and people who don't will be like "wtf they know when it will happen? Here I thought it was because they were talking too fast" XD

But yeah man women haven't avoided me because I have an occasional stutter. I still avoid any kind of public speaking though ;)

• The plus side of it is the fact that they've found that stutterers have an average of 14 IQ points higher than those who don't stutter ;)

psychcentral.com/.../000456

• Oh it would be hypocritical of me to avoid a woman who stutters since I do it myself. It is 4x more common in men than women so it isn't something that I'll come into contact with approaching women as much.

• Thanks for MH.

What Girls Said 10

• Yes I'd date them. I'd find it endearing, it'd add character to them which I'd fall in love with. It might be hard to get used to but it's something I'd be happy to live with.

• No, it wouldn't be! !

• Probably not - I like confident people.

• No, because they would get over t eventually, I know people who used to stutter a lot that barely do it anymore.

• I wouldn't mind being with a guy who mildly stutters :) if I'm with him is because I truly like him :)

• If I loved him the stutter wouldn't bother me at all.

• Yeah, I have a couple of friends who stutter and I have no problem with that.

• No can't say why that's a problem.

• Yes. It's not an issue.

• That's not a problem at all. You can't help it and it's no big deal

What Guys Said 3

• Shut the f-f-f-f-f-f-front door!

• It wouldn't bother me.

One of my best friends that I've known since we were like 11 has a very mild stutter and it doesn't bother me at all.

• No. It's so obnoxious. Chick needs to be smooth and sharp.