Do you think fashion magazines should have images of bigger women?

A lot of the models in fashion mags are sizes 0s and 1s. Do you think that fashion magazines and the fashion industry in general should start putting images of bigger women out there? Like the middle and right ones in this pic:

link

I think all of them look healthy but why only show images of women the size of the one on the left? Why not mix it up? So many healthy girls look at these magazines and think they need to lose weight when they are perfectly healthy and I think it does cause a lot of self esteem problems.

• Yes--there should be a variety of sizes in fashion mags
  • No--they should only showcase sizes 0 and 1
I'm quite surprised that 3 guys out of 5 who voted, voted for B. Is it not the media or also men who put this pressure on women to be thin? Do you guys even know what a size 0 or 1 looks like? The thinnest women in the link is a size 8.
The middle one is a size 12, and the last one, a 14, according to FHM. Now, I don't advocate unhealthy images, but I think a mixture of these three types of bodies would be fine.

Most Helpful Guy

• Really, the girl on the right isn't really big to me. I think all would be great to model in a magazine. Unfortunately, it seems like society makes it so the girl on the left and middle is best. If you look at models, most of them are like the girl on the left, not the middle or right. I don't know why but really skinny is better, probably cause it sells. I think the girl on the right would be perfect, she really isn't that big.

What Guys Said 5

• The middle one is fine, but the one on the right is too big for my tastes. Clothing simply looks better (hangs better, is allowed to flow) when worn by slender women. No need to get all skeleton-looking, as this has the reverse effect. There is no vast conspiracy afloat. Designers choose their models on the basis of what generates sales. Public opinion is what guides the market.

• Yes, but designers DO choose skeleton looking models. I see a slight difference between catalog models and runway/high fashion models. High fashion is what dictates fashion magazines, not middle market or low end brands and high fashion seems to be telling fashion magazines that sizes 00, 0, or 1 should be the ideal, which I don't think is healthy at all.

• I agree, and I'm not attracted to emaciated women by any means. Yet I see no way to affect change other than those I've already mentioned. I see much evidence on this site of women obsessed with weight issues, and to some degree they should have healthy concerns in this area, but it so often snowballs into obsession. It's foriegn to me, as I have no trouble maintaining my own weight, and never have. But I do see the effect societal weight standards have on young women. Wish I had a solution.

• In the future, I shall probably stick to sarcasm. ; - )

• I voted A but I'm not talking about a huge variety or anything. zthe middle one was great but the one on the right is outside my tastes. Some of it is her hips but she could definitely gain something by going to the gym.

• you're pole was too spisfic. I said A but as long as they aren't like so big they can't get out of a wheel chair (not because they have broken legs but from being 650lb)

• Of course I don't mean images of unhealthy women. When I say variety, I mean, like women from the link. Do you consider them overweight? To me, they all look healthy. And even the thinnest one is a size 8, which in very high and exclusive fashion, is considered too big. Don't you think that's a little insane?

• Yeah. the girls in the image all look pretty. magazine girls are hot but sometimes are too skinny. like if you hug them they'll brake in half. the medium one looks realy good to me.

• Id say, middle or left. Right isn't fat or unattractive but just not my type..Its just she seems a bit too big. The one on the left really isn't my style either but she looks like she would be able to keep up with me in the fitness department, which is cool.

• now lets be real here

most guys do not prefer the plus size they would either want the left girl or the right girl

• Well according to a survey of 60,000 men conducted by FHM magazine, only 20% prefer the girl to the left and the rest preferred either the middle or right girl (each received something like 40% of votes), so "most guys" apparently prefer the bigger girls given these three choices.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/the-figures-are-in-and-they-reveal-that-given-the-choice-most-men-will-plump-for-a-curvy-girl/2008/04/05/1207249548553.html

• Wow I'm in shame =(

the link you sent me isn't for the us its for the australia (I think)

• The survey was conducted online to an international audience. The link I provided is just summarizing it in an Aussie site but the results have been printed on other sites as well. Of course you are more than entitled to your opinions and preferences, but I don't think anyone should speak for anyone else, especially for the majority of an entire group.

What Girls Said 7

• i think that they should definitely be larger...not like a size 18, but at LEAST a size 6. Catherine Zeta Jones is a size 10 and she looks awesome!

• I voted A, but I think as long as the images portrayed in the media aren't of sickly thin girls or morbidly obese ones. And in resp0onse to your update, I think the men are just influenced by the media into finding the skinniest girl attractive.. this could be a whole sociology 101 debate! ahah

• I don't think the men understand women's sizes. I don't mean unhealthy, I just want to see healthy women in high fashion. All of the women in link seem healthy to me, but aside from possibly the left girl, the middle and right girl would be classified as "fat" in high fashion and I think that's ridiculous! I'd like to seem more images of women with the middle girl's bodies in runways or the girl on the right, not like someone who has weight issues.

• Bigger women should defo be in the mags but I doubt it will ever happen. Size zero is tiny! That's like a UK size 4-wow, I'm like 4 sizes bigger than that and I'm not fat. The fact that girls have to be size 0 for a lot of things now is really strange.

• I can't imagine what a UK size 0 would look like!

• Haha that would probs just be a skeleton! UK size 0 doesn't exist...yet.

• Definitely a variety of sizes. From skinny to big because ALL sizes are healthy and natural for certain body types and a healthy body is what should be promoted. I think super skinny and super big should be skipped out on though because they are the body types that usually aren't healthy. Also, you said that it's the media and men that pressure girls/women to be thin and I agree on the media part but I think it's mostly women that pressure females to look a certain way.

• i think they should put women of all sizes as long as they are healthyy and it doesn't promote an unhealthy lifestyle

• I think there should be more variety. Fashion is for everyone. I don't care if you're a size 0 or a size 20, everyone wants clothes that are cute and flattering. By only putting a certain girl in the magazine they are indirectly saying "You are not good enough to be showcased unless you look like this". I don't get the size 0 craze either. I'm not saying every size 0 is anorexic but most of us would have to be to get to a size 0, it's not a realistic size for 90% of women.

• yes, but not pictures of unhealthily big women (nor should they have pics of unhealthily skinny women). photoshopping should be banned as well.

• Yes, I agree. Why is it either size 0 or size 16? What happened to the middle? It would be awesome if photoshopping were banned, though I'd imagine models and celebs would have a huge fit over that.