Is it possible to recapture 80s music production in modern-music records?

I mean make a record dat sounds X-ACTLY just like it was made in da 80s. How can some1 succeed this in our days?

Most Helpful Guy

• you definitely could. it's typically more expensive since things were done in analog. Jack White released an album that a recorded in the old 8-track analog recording method (like in the 60s and early early 70s). but it is apparently more expensive since digital recording due to less equipment and post production costs

What Girls Said 2

• There are DJ's who make this possible with only digital equipment, one of my personal favorites is Onra. He makes smooth, funky beats with amazing vocal samples.. Not sure if this is what you were looking for but I think it's good quality music worth checking out. Listen to Night and Day, Mechanical, Wonderland.. These have an 80's vibe

• i will... thanks :)

• listened 2 this song but it had some 90 vibe mostly actually

• *90s

• I'm not sure but there's been an 80's vibr in some modern music. Like Shut up and dance!

• American singer-songwriter Kesha has also been described as a synthpop artist,[92][93] with her synthesized debut single "Tik Tok"[94] topping the Billboard Hot 100 for nine weeks in 2010.[95] She also used the genre on her comeback single "Die Young".[92][96] Mainstream female recording artists who have had success in the genre in the 2010s are Madonna,[97][98][99][100] Nicki Minaj,[101] Katy Perry,[102][103][104] Jessie J,[105] Christina Aguilera,[106][107] and Beyonce.[108]

en.wikipedia.org/.../Synthpop#21st_century_revival

• Congrats for "S"

• Thankd for noticing klaatu :) :*

What Guys Said 4

• Ah, why would you want to do that? Other than 80's trash metal, the production of that time was awful. I hate how there a good compositions from the 80's ruined by the excess of reverb added of the electric drums. Plus the guitars kind of went to the background and the bass went for a funky sound generally. 70's production, in my opinion, felt much more organic and each instrument had room to breath while the drums took the backseat. Flawless

The perfect example is listening to Pink Floyd's Animals or The Wall which were released on late 70's and then listen to A Momentary Lapse Of Reason which was released on mid 80's, apples and oranges. Same goes to Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, etc...

• i'm not much into rock/metal and stuff like dat, that's y u say this. especially thrash metal (honestly 1 of da worst genres in my opinion... sory) i'm a fan of synth-pop/new-wave or hi-NRG/italo-disco music from this era. that's y i luv 80s production.

but each individual has his own taste in music, so i cannot judge.

• The Cure were much more consistent than the others, true. The Smiths have lots of filler songs but there are some I thoroughly enjoy and then the thing with Queen is that Freddie Mercury was too much into Opera and theatrical shit so yeah I don't enjoy all their compositions neither.

As I said, I can appreciate some songs from them or U2, Def Leppard, Journey, Aerosmith, etc any band that started on that time but I don't have a favorite rock band from the 80's. Where most of my favorite bands are from the late 60's and 70's.

Just curious, what new wave bands do you listen from that time? Do you mean like New Order and such?

• Yup. But i like less known bands mostly like Fiction Factory, Blue Nile or Freur

• I think we may go into an era of music where people will go back and use equipment from different eras to create the sound required for instance anything from the 1950s onwards was produced to a high enough level to be deemed okay by today's standards.

• i thought lately there's a "back-2-60s" trend in music

• You would have to consult with a recording engineer who could tell you how to recreate the studio techniques of that period, including probably what kind of multi-track tape recording was being used. Those old machines are sitting around somewhere.

• basically there's a recent album by The Cars i've listened 2, which's called "Move Like This" and it has an "80s feelin" but yet there's sth "modern" there dat won't make it an "80s album"

• By finding a way to relate and reach out to the audience.