GAMERS: What is a good PC game that has role-playing/character creation?

Keep in mind I don't have a Playstation or Xbox or any gaming consoles. I have a PC. I used to play World of Warcraft and loved the character creation aspect and interacting with other characters. I had tried Aion, Lineage, and a few others about six years ago while on WoW and never found anything as great.

I haven't been gaming now for three years. I miss it sometimes because I wouldn't mind something different to do to curb my boredom, but don't want to get so hooked on it like I did with WoW, where I donated over six years of my life to it.

So given that I'm older, I enjoy character creation, don't mind interaction with others - but it's not necessary (can be NPC characters I interact with), I did like fantasy-ish settings - but again it's not necessary, I enjoy problem-solving, code breaking, fiction, fantasy (multiple races and factions), history, and want to play it on my PC.

Any ideas? Thanks! :)

I should have said I have Medieval Sims, but I am looking for something other than Sims.

Most Helpful Guy

• Dragon age is the greatest

• Oh I am just looking it up on YouTube. There are rogues! I played a rogue in WoW and miss it.

• They have great voice actors and characters and Lords and creatures you will quickly find your self getting caught up in the story.

Romance you can choose rivals and friends

• Hey thanks tell me how u like the game

What Guys Said 16

• fallout 3, fallout new vegas, tes 4: oblivion, skyrim, fallout 4 (release november).

Skyrim/oblivion are hands down best for fantasy, while fallout is more post apocalyptic. Both of them are REALLY solid role playing games that are well worth to try!

• i have oblivion and im not even past the castle dungeon thing... is it normal to hate that dungeon?
      this is my second go at the game and i can't get past that stage... not hard i just really dont like it

does the game get better?

• the tutorial dungeon is kinda bad, yeah. But it's get way better!

The "wow" effect doesn't happen until afte the tutorial dungeon. That's when it gets really fun. Allthough, it's not a perfect game, so if there are elements you fucking hate, it might be worth looking into mods (there I can help)

• hmm. Well, you could try any RTS game. Blizzard (the makers of WoW) have a few. Starcraft II is kind-of their newest. The campaign is alright, but most of the game is online competitive play. Personally, I liked their Warcraft III a lot better, but it's going on 20 years old now so it doesn't have much of a playerbase...

Blizzard also makes Diablo III. This is similar, in some regards, to WoW, but there is no subscription. As a result, the character customization is limited. Most of the game revolves around random number generation - every piece of gear that drops will be randomly generated.

But, it's fun for the price, in my opinion.

As for non-blizzard games, there is Braid. Unlike the other's I've mentioned, this one is not endless. It has an ending and once you reach it you've basically done all you can and need to find a new game. But it's my favorite, and it's cheap.

• I loved Dragon Age: Origin (never played the sequel). It was really good. Mass Effect was very good too. The Witcher is also really good, but you don't create your character... There are also oldies like Baldur's Gate which have been remade in HD (Enhanced edition) I played the original and had lots of fun. Haven't played the enhanced version yet.
    They should all run on your machine.

• Honestly, For a role playing game in an open world with character creation / customization.

You can't go wrong with Skyrim.

• Star Wars The Old Republic. The only MMO with fully voiced characters. Each class has its own story, and they blend in with the overall game story. Similar gameplay to WoW

Your PC better be decently powered though, its a huge file size and decent graphics

• You pretty much described Skyrim to a T.

• Try Ark if you have a good rig omfg the character creation is awesome plus it's multiplayer so you won't be getting that lonely single player experience

• I'm going to agree with @Riggers, Skyrim is wonderful.
    https://youtu.be/PjqsYzBrP-M
    Then again I could be biased.

• Damn... That trailer is fantastic. I don't know how many times I've seen it, it's still epic.
      I guess I should play. I've bought it on steam years ago and haven't played yet. I fear (a bit like @Ozanne) that I will spend too much time on it.

• @JuicyBrain, That's sort of what happened to me. I bought it, played it for a day (the sound wasn't working properly for some reason), and then picked it up again about a year later and played straight through 3 of the main quest lines, along with just dicking around in Skyrim generally. Also, the mods are FANTASTIC.
      Actually, I haven't played it since completing the main storyline, which is surprising even to me as there is way more than that to do. Every day I feel it pulling me towards it again, but I've got other things to play/read/do :P

• Depends on how powerful your pc is. If it's the same rig you played wow on 6 years ago, you're gong to have to look for older things that can run on the machine.

• The new fallout is going yo be EPIC... LEGENDARY... FANTASMAGORICAL!!!

• You want newer or older?

There always the elder scrolls series and fallout 3 or new Vegas

• I liked Diablo 2 a lot. Diablo 3 is Pretty decent

• Bethesda games are pretty good. Like the elder scrolls series and the fallout series

• Diablo sounds good for you.

• Sims I guess

• Oh geez I should have said I have Medieval Sims, but I wanted something else.

• Second life i think you will like it :)

• Never heard of it, and just looked it up on YouTube. That looks hilarious. I would go on there just to be a big pest. LOL!! When I played WoW I was a rogue and loved being so hated everywhere I went, but useful to those who I liked. :D

• I watched a documentary on this and there are people that meet and get married. There is also a woman that makes money in the real world by selling things she creates in second life. Crazy stuff there. :-)

• I saw some of it on YouTube, but I just have a feeling I'd get bored just "living a life" online. It does look like it would be interesting to try, but not long term. I know I would feel like I'm just simulating life. LOL

What Girls Said 5

• Hm... well there is a game in open beta, skyforge. It's a mix of sci-fi and fantasy. It has an easy to follow story line. You can create your own character and you can change it in game ( if you ever feel like you made a mistake ). It's your typical MMORPG, do quests, follow the story, do dungeons to get stronger and move on with the storyline. It hasn't got any problem-solving etc. There are caps so you won't be playing 24/7 and you can overcap each week ( so if you wanna quit you quit for a week )

The old tomb raiders have some problem-solving and code breaking. It's fiction and has history in it. But you'll have to buy it. It won't get you as hooked as wow cause.. finish the game = finish the game :P You can't create your own character though.

Can't think of anything else right now...

• Star Wars the old republic is free and fun and an mmo
    Skyrim is a given as is the be new elder scrolls...
    But you want the best computer game rpg ever? Pillars of Eternity. Every choice matters and it's AMAZING! Please buy it I'm begging you T-T

• Ohhh I'm just looking at it on YouTube.. this looks more like what I'm after... I'm still listening to the reviews and watching the gameplay on YouTube.

• I'm installing the game now... gonna take a couple hours or so it says. :)

• Is it just me or is it hard to run? I have to continuously click the space where I want to go whereas in WoW I just needed to hold down both mouse buttons. Also, I keep losing my party member - he doesn't keep up with me and I have to go drag him along. What am I doing wrong?

• Diablo 3 is really fun. Its easy to beat if you play on normal but gets more interesting if you put it on higher levels :-)

• The Mass Effect series might be good for you... Otherwise, there's an early-access game on Steam called ARK: Survival Evolved that you may like. It's not fully released yet, but still available to play.

• Crusader kings 2?

I don't know if it is an mmo. :(
    But one of my friends recommended it.