What is the best Shakespeare's play to start reading his plays?

I want to start reading Shakespeare and I would like any suggestions of which one should I read first and why, or if it's the same.

Thank you!!

Most Helpful Guy

• Midsummer nights dream is one of his easier plays to get.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've studied two of his plays - 'The Merchant of Venice' and 'King Lear'. To be honest, The Merchant of Venice is quite easy to follow, but is also a bit boring. King Lear, however, if one of his most complex plays but is actually very captivating with a good plot and some witty humor. :)

• Oh thank you!

• No problem! Make sure to check out the King Lear movie, whether you read the play or not, The movie is so well made and the actors really do their job! Oh, and the main character is played by Michael Gambon, the very same guy who took on the role of Dumbledore, so you can bet it's great (for the Shakespearean audience anyway) :D

What Guys Said 7

• Generally, I like all of his hentai writing.

• Probably Julius Ceaser and then Romeo and Juliet. Romeo and Juliet is a little hard to understand, I think Julius Ceaser is better.

• 'Macbeth' and 'Romeo and Juliet' are pretty easy.

• His works honestly haven't aged that well if you ask me.

• It depends what you like. 'The Tempest' is an excellent example of his mature style. 'As you like it' for his earlier period. Some plays are more straightforward like 'Coriolanus' and some wander a bit like 'Troilus and Cressida'.

But don't read them, watch the BBC productions, they did them all and have subtitles if you have trouble following the language. They are old and the video quality is poor but the acting is good to excellent. Of watch Laurence Olivier's films of 'Richard III', 'Hamlet' or 'Henry V', he is superb.

• Thanks a lot! I still wanna read them but I guess films will be a great complement. :D

• Reading is good because you can go slow and savor the language and the nuances of the characters and situations.

• I recommend Kenneth Branaghs Henry v personally. Has my favorite delivery of the st. Crispins day speech.

• Hamlet has a good ending

• Taming of the shrew

What Girls Said 8

• the merchant of venice is the most beautiful

• My absolute favorite is "Hamlet," it has a great ending. Try "Romeo and Juliet" too!

• I prefer Macbeth because Macbeth is more interesting then Mid summer night dream and Romeo and Juliet (only read those three so far). Macbeth has a awesome story you should so read it.

• Much ado about nothing.

• For any reason in particular?

• Romeo and Juliet. I liked that play because it took place in Italy.

• macbeth! it was really funny to me

• Started on Romeo and Juliet, but my favorite one is as you like it.:-) :-)

• the merchant of venice.. good story, shorter and easier to read for starters.