Is it just me or is pop music getting more and more stupid?

I know that pop music is technically universal in terms of genre, but is it me or is the music the radio stations playing nowadays sounding like regurgitated trash?

I grew up with rap and hip hop most of my life but I feel like a lot of the mainstream hip hop music nowadays is stupid and irrelevant to me.

During the past couple years I've been experimenting and listening to other music. I've grown to like jazz/swing songs from the 50's and 60's, rock, and even country.

I feel like a lot of music nowadays is missing that certain charm, a feeling of personalization, unique sound, and soul.

This is not to say that all pop music is bad, I just feel like a lot of what we're getting today is manufactured crap. When I'm in the car I change the music to a rock/classic rock station probably a good 80% of the time.

What do you guys think? what are your favourite artists/bands?

Do you think it has to do with record companies paying off radio stations?

Most Helpful Girl

• The truth is pop has always been crap. We only think te old stuff is old evaluate we have a nostalgia associated with it. But a lot of those songs were just singing about liking boys and dumb teenage angst.
    Musically is it more quality, yes but most people don't notice that.
    The point of pop music is to be fun, entertaining to the masses, non threatening and catchy. Not really I be deep or beautiful. Your not supposed to listen to it all the time it's supposed I be what you hear on the way to work or at a party. It's fun not substantive.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know if it's getting more stupid or not. There has always been stupid music. Let me make a point about this:

"During the past couple years I've been experimenting and listening to other music. I've grown to like jazz/swing songs from the 50's and 60's, rock, and even country."

I do the same thing. I've been going back to the earliest days of recorded music in the late 1800s. There has always been stupid music. There has always been intentional silly music like novelty songs. There has always been copycat songs that try to get as much out of a successful formula as possible <--- that is the basic idea behind pop.

But the thing is, when you experiment with different genres you aren't getting a real cross section of that type of music. For example if you go to youtube and search for 1950s rock and roll, you are going to come up with the most popular songs. You'll get songs with 10M views, or 100M. You won't get results for all the total crap that came out in that era. To get those songs, you'd have to already know about them and specifically search for them.

I like late 60s an early 70s. I think it was a great era for music. But there was also some really bad songs from that era. They were horrible. But when I think about music from back then, I mostly think about the good stuff that I like.

I think every generation has good music. There are always going to be very talented people out there. They are going to put out good stuff. It might not be in the same style as good music from the past. So people who are used to certain styles of music have to be open about it. But if you get past the idea that music is supposed to be a certain way, then suddenly you'll start finding virtually unlimited amounts of good music.

If someone is really truly into music, limiting themselves to certain kinds is a huge mistake. They'd be missing out on some really good stuff. There has always been good music. And there has always been crap music.

What Girls Said 3

• I think you're pretty on spot with your review on today's pop music on the radio. I mean, some of the older music (late 90's early 2000's) can be pretty annoying and total trash too. But the new ones are god awful.
    My favorite artists are My Chemical a Romance, Blink 182, Green Day, All American Rejects, Fall Out Boy (but their older stuff, not newer), Panic! At the Disco. I also love the Beatles, Aerosmith, the Eagles, Queen, Journey, etc.
    Plies, T Pain, R Kelly, Ja Rule, Ashanti, Ciara, Mariah Carey, Tupac (the more softer stuff), etc. are cool too. (Stuff i grew up with).
    Some mainstream music is okay, sometimes mindless beats and verses are needed to relieve stress.

• Thanks! I dont really approve of ya other favorites but thanks for mentioning me

• i think it's just different. i like some of the new stuff in pop but i also love music from the 90s and 00s. artists like mariah carey, britney spears, mandy moore, christina aguilera, jennifer lopez, ashanti, tlc, backstreet boys, etc. had some really great songs.

• It's just the music has moved on from your tastes. You prefer music from when you were growing up, like most people. It's the same with every generation.

What Guys Said 7

• Pop music has always been about carefree shallow stuff most of the time... pop music isn't meant to be thought provoking and deep. It is meant to be, first and foremost, entertaining on a superficial level

• I hate pop music, a few songs are ok but not many. the worse part is that is pretty much the only kind of music on the radio stations in my town. there isn't a single rock station

• Classic pop aka Frank Sinatra was the best in my opinion, it only went down hill from there.

• If you start listening to proper music, of course pop music is going to sound stupid. That's no different than it ever was.

• Dude you have not heard Drizzy Drake.

• Pop was always commercial trash.

• Pop music sucks its too mainstream