Study abroad in japan?

study abroad in Japan?

I will start university in fall. I'm planning to study abroad in Japan, as a comp sci student. I have many questions.

1. Will that consume my time (I do want to go out and see Japan and meet Japanese people).

2. Will taking a japanese course help me get around, pass my classes (or are they in English), and even flirt with Japanese chicks in my classes / clubs / wherever I meet people?

3. what university should I go to in Japan?

4. How is the social life in a University in Japan? like Hanging out with friends, joining a club? Do japanese have their version of Greek life? Is there such a social atmosphere in the university? Or; are university students more concerned about their lessons/carrier and don't do social activities?

5. I like anime and video games and movies (I'm mostly a fan of Western films, so will that affect my friendships? and will my limited hobbies affect me either? Can I find such a fun daily life in a university? Or; is everyone serious and not fun?

6. Can I get into social environments as a foreigner? I'm not Japanese, I'm what Japanese people call a gaijin".

Communicating with Japanese people won't be a problem. But; will I have problems when making friends, because I'm a "gaijin"? Will not knowing / having language problems affect me? Will girls avoid me? I'm Indian, and hear that Indians do badly in Japan.

7. Are university students interested in manga/anime/video games? Or does the majority find it childish?

8. are the people interested in anime / video games / films mostly boys? Or; are there many girls interested in these things as well? and do they go clubbing / bar hopping? and will learning Kapkido (a Korean Martial art) help?

9. Are japanese guys and girls into American media (American movies, music, and games)?

10. will being Indian, 160lbs, 5 foot 8, limited hobbies, and having little knowledge of Japanese hurt me?

help please!

Most Helpful Guy

• I speak Japanese and have buds who did exchange programs there. :)

No, you'll have plenty of free time.

Yeah, of course. :)

Answer is always the same: Best one you can get into. Tokyo is of course the best. Any major uni would be good.

No Greek. Very social. Not so academic in many cases; that's high school in Japan. Not so into "clubs" in the academic sense.

No, it's just like a uni anywhere else. Lots of fun people.

Yes, it's different for gaijin but it's an advantage as much as a disadvantage.

No, you'll have an extra advantage making friends. Some girls will avoid you; many won't. As an Indian you may encounter some racism but any non-Japanese does.

Many like it; few would say "childish."

Limited space to respond now. You'll have a great time. Just be yourself. I think you'll do great. Many Japanese love traveling to India so I don't see your ethnicity being a big problem. :) Gambate neeeeeeeee.

• to respond
      1. since comp sci is male dominated and time consuming, won't that affect my opportunities to go out and make friends (especially meet girls)?

2. I understand :)

3. Which uni in Tokyo is good? and what are places for me to go out and enjoy?

4. Explain "very social and not academic." if not clubs, then what? and how'd i make a lot of friends, both outiside and inside school?

5. I'm glad to hear that. Do like minded people (who like my same hobbies) exist? both guys and girls?

6. does the racism apply to ALL non Japanese? or are White / Asians spared?

7. That also is nice to hear :) .

thanks :D

• "1. since comp sci is male dominated and time consuming, won't that affect my opportunities to go out and make friends (especially meet girls)?"

No more than you let it. It will be unusual to interact with girls in class but you can truly have as much free time as you want. You decide how to execute your studies.

"3. Which uni in Tokyo is good?"

The Univ of Tokyo is one of the best in the world. Any major Japanese univ would be a good choice.

"and what are places for me to go out and enjoy?"

Tokyo has something like 30 million people in the metro area. There are thousands of places. This is a question you can ask your new Japanese friends.

• 4. Explain "very social and not academic."

They are very social and not very academic. :)

"if not clubs, then what?"

Maybe you didn't understand what I was saying. Academic clubs are not such a focus of uni social life in Japan (or the USA, or UK, or Germany, etc.). So you use other venues for social contact.

"and how'd i make a lot of friends, both outiside and inside school?"

Well by being friendly, warm, outgoing, thoughtful, kind, polite, fun, engaging, etc. Same as everywhere else. :)

"Do like minded people (who like my same hobbies) exist? both guys and girls?"

Yeah but more guys than girls.

"6. does the racism apply to ALL non Japanese? or are White / Asians spared?"

All non-Japanese, including those born in Japan. ("Japanese" is an ethnicity, of course.)

Take care man.

What Girls Said 1

• a lot of japanese adults like manga and anime too, don't worry.

i'm not sure if indians ”do badly” but i haven't seen many interracial couples.

taking a course before you come would be helpful.

What Guys Said 1

• It's a little late now to be planning to chose a college and go there this fall.

Yes, being Indian in Japan will be difficult.

There are always those outliers that like different though.

Learn the language, it's easy to pick up some basics.

Lastly, no matter what race you are, in Japan if u r not Japanese u r second class. And if you are not white, you might even be 3rd or 4th. No big deal, as long as you are aware how it is you won't be surprised.

Japanese are really into American stuff, but don't confuse that with wanting to be American or even wanting to befriend an American.

Go look up otaku, it's very common at least from a gaijins perspective.

On your best day, your Japanese friends will always identify you as the indian because of the novelty of it. They will invite you out to parties or dancing to show off their unique friend much the same way you might wear a new pair of shoes or show off a new gadget.

As long as you have no delusions about being accepted as one of them they can be just as much entertainment for u as u r for them.