Can someone explain how this sold for $44 Million Dollars?

What kind of idiot spends $44 Million on this so called "art".

It's a canvas painted blue with a line on it... nothing more nothing less...

Most Helpful Girl

• Hey, could be art.
    Does it make you feel something?
    Cause I feel like a dolphin.

Painting: $44 million
    Feeling like a dolphin: priceless

Most Helpful Guy

• You are encountering a phenomena that economists refer to as a Velben good.

From investopedia:

"DEFINITION of 'Veblen Good' A good for which demand increases as the price increases, because of its exclusive nature and appeal as a status symbol. A Veblen good, like a Giffen good, has an upward-sloping demand curve, which runs counter to the typical downward-sloping curve."

www.investopedia.com/terms/v/veblen-good.asp

The painting is worth $44 million because:
    - there is only and will only ever be one of these paintings
    - the person who bought it "wins" in the sense that he has demonstrated his wealth and proved his discerning taste
    - as world wide population grows and aggregate wealth grows, the demand for a fixed supply of art increases, consequently, the next owner can be expected to pony up closer to $50 million. (On the day of that sale, a $44 million art purchase will have been prudent.)

Hope that helps.

What Girls Said 6

• Dammit! You know I actually drew the same thing when I was 8! I should've saved it and sold it! I would be a millionaire by now. God dammit!

• I bet that guy was a bum once. Lived near where you grew up. One day he was digging in some garbage and found a drawing by some little kid. He said..."i may be a bum but i know some idiot will pay millions for something like this". So he stole some art supplies and painted the child's drawing. He is not a millionaire.

• *gasp* A THIEF! where is my pitch fork? I will stake him and burn him!!! After I sue him! 😠

• WITCHCRAFT I SAY!

• They probably purchased it because it has sentimental value.

• How does a blue canvas with a white line hold any sentimental value.

• It's a wealth thing. You buy something completely useless for an excessive amount because it shows that you have money to spare.

• It's a piece of shit. XD bet if I smeared my shit in a straight line it would be 45 million.

• Someone like van gogh must have made it

• Yeah but Van Gogh made something i would actually consider to be art. However, this is something anyone in the world can do over the age of 4.

• 😂 Strangest thing I've read today.

What Guys Said 9

• Art in itself is worthless tho ain't it?
    The value we give to them is just an abstract value we attribute to how much we we'd give of an arbitrary item of worth in exchange for an item.
    Now if there are retards out there who liked this and paid 44 million well then there you go. It's art.

• Yes awesome👌some people just dont understand the true form of art, the feelings that the painter conveyed by painting this masterpiece👍👍
    Me:ehem, i could just take a look at the photo and repaint that thing, and he could have payed me a pathetic prize of 50 bucks😂👌 Voila masterpiece done and saved 33,999,950$
    Good deal?
    naaaah

• who painted it?

• Does it matter?

• Well I'm curious to know why someone would pay so much for it. the only reasonI can think of is if it was painted by a famous artist.

• The painting is called Onement VI by Barnett.

• Dude, I just figured out a quick way to make 44 million

• What? Paint it red with a white line and call it anger?

• I don't understand modern art. but I had a art history teacher talking like it was the greatest and really deep and all this other bullshit. I think it is lazy.

• Was it painted by someone special?

• The paint was made out of poor peoples tears

• Rich people like that will pay anything for "art" even if its crappy

• If you pay more attention everything is clear. Now the line divides the square into two rectangles. If you put an invisible line horizontally in the middle of the canvas you get a plus. Now 2 + 2 = 4. Because there is a line in the middle we get that 4 - 1 = 3. A drawing of 2 dimensional pyramid has 3 corners. This painting has only 1 line. Cyclopes have 1 eye too. If we were to draw a 2 dimensional cyclops with a pyramid instead of it's head we would get a pyramid with an eye in the middle. The money paid for this painting is 44 million dollars. 4/4 = 1. There is a pyramid, with an eye in it, on one dollar. Illuminati has a lot of money. Illuminati confirmed.