How hard it is to learn guitar and piano :/ ?

Average time, effort, possible happenings, total hours per week and stuff to play it decently. Any kind of information is appreciated.

It is one of the things to do before I die. Jack needs more trades :/

Thank you everyone. You all submitted MHO. :'( <3

Most Helpful Girl

• In my opinion, it depends on your answers to these three questions.

1) Are you using your very own instrument, or are you borrowing from a friend/family member or renting from a store (both of which can limit the time you have to spend with the instrument)?

Owning your own instrument will help you tremendously as you'll have access to it 24/7, therefore allowing you to play and practice whenever is convenient for you. Borrowing from friends or family is fine as well, but the only downside is the inconvenience of it.

2) Will you be learning on your own via books or websites or will you be hiring a tutor?

Learning on your own is great and commendable, and often the cheaper option. However, if you don't know where to start or if you get stuck on how to master something while practicing, it can be frustrating. Hiring a tutor for a weekly lesson is good as you can have all your questions addressed and your technique will be monitored by them. The only issue with a tutor is that you'll usually be stuck learning their program and using their materials, so it's important to find a tutor you like.

3) How much time do you have to dedicate to regular practice? Should be at least one or two hours every other day, but preferably every day if you want to speed up the process.

This question pretty much speaks for itself. The more time and dedication you put into practicing and studying the music, the faster you will see improvement.

Neither instrument is easier or harder to learn than the other one. Both are fun to play and very versatile, although guitar has the added bonus of being much more portable. In my experience, it takes a couple of years to become decent at them, although some people feel they are decent enough after a year of regular lessons and practice time.

• Thank youuuuu... :)

1) My own instruments
      2) Tutor
      3) 1-2 hours per day

^Is it good? :)

• Thank you so much :)

• You're welcome. Have fun!

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. Difficulty is a matter of how one perceives the effort
    2. For those who are passionate about something for them it's a cake walk cause they will climb full of zeal while for those who aren't passionate will find the simplest of things tedious :)
    3. I think learning sa re ga ma or do re me fa i. e. the basics will take less than 2-3 days. Easier on the keyboard than a string instrument I'd say. Rest depends on your ear for music :)

• Thanks a lot. Didn't know that basics don't take that much time :)

• Yeah not just validation but sometimes they select it only just because he/she is asker's friend.

• That too :)

What Girls Said 3

• I found the piano was easier to start. I wanted to play when I was 6 years old, and reading the music wasn't too difficult. I am not able to play by ear; I have to read sheet music. I would practice around 8-10 hours a week Since I really wanted to play, I found myself enjoying it more and going over the hours lessons.

My fingertips hurt too much with guitar. I was playing about 6 hours a week, for 6 weeks (I wanted to play cello and violin actually, but they started me on acoustic guitar ). But I decided to stop.

I love playing music, I used to play in orchestra on woodwind instruments (flute, piccolo, clarinet and saxophone). Since I had read treble clef at an early age, it was very easy. I would just practice as much as you can and have fun! :)

• For a person that plays both, I'd definitely say the piano is easier to start with. If you're not planning to be an expert in both, I'd definitely suggest starting with piano. My fingers hurt a lot when I'm playing the guitar, thus I always have to use guitar picks to play. :/

• Thanks :)

So, that pain doesn't go away no matter how old you've been using it? 😓

• Thanks a lot :)

• No problem 😊

• Both pretty easy to start - not so easy to become an expert in.

• Yeah I mentioned that I just want to play them decently only :)
      Thanks :)

• Thanks a lot :)

• No problem. =)

Good luck!

What Guys Said 4

• Piano is easier, guitar is more convenient though due to the size and volume.

• Wow really. I thought piano is difficult. It hurts while learing to guitar tho :/

Thanks :)

• Guitar would be good thing to start with.. but if you are a good Lerner and broden your knowledge.. then piano

• for piano its around 3000 hours

• It's not extremely hard to learn guitar.