Gamers, do you prefer to play as characters that are the gender you identify with?

This mostly pertains to RPG type games with character creation, not so much fighting games for example. I'm about to start playing Wildstar and I started wondering how people react to a character's gender compared to the player. Is it weird if you find out someone has a strong preference for playing the other gender?

I've always favoured choosing female characters, it just feels natural to me.

So do you usually pick on gender or another on purpose? Do you try to mix it up 50/50? Do you not care at all?

• Same gender.
  • Other gender.
  • Mix it up. ~50/50
  • Don't care.

Most Helpful Girl

• I always play girl characters in MMOs , played one in WS too but that game was one of the most poorly balanced and gear dependent games i've ever tried. In MOBAs though, I love how some male characters look and I like playing them sometimes but prefer girls all together for the most part.

• WAIT WS?
      WINDSLAYER? O_O

• Well if it's a MOBA and you can't choose gender then I'm not thinking about gender, I'm just going for an effective lineup. Enchantress in DotA though... "You know what I love? Everything!" :3

• Yeah exactly lol but some of the males in MOBAs actually look good so I don't mind playing them.

Most Helpful Guy

• Mostly but on occasion I mix up. Like when I played Skyrim all the strong heavily armored warrior types I played were men. But I used women for when I wanted a more stealthy or magical playthrough with less combat.

What Girls Said 8

• I like to mix it up, but I like playing as a female character a bit more - more versatile and has better clothing. =)
    Haha

• I play as a female when I can, but I won't think any less of the game if the only character available is a guy. I prefer the lean look of females over the bulky look male characters typically have.

• I usually prefer to play as the same gender, which is a shame seeing as sometimes the outfits can be completely ridiculous :P I don't mind playing as a guy though, as long as I'm given the option to choose.

• I usually don't care about the gender, I prefer quick moving players who shoot from distance that heal quickly. So for me it is more of a practical factor.

• I play like that too, if it's PvP I would be thinking about how I can get the smallest and most difficult to see character. Although if trying to tank then I'd want to take up as much space as possible.

• Yeah I see your point, I don't have much patience so slow moving buff players like tanks bore me. :/

• Definitely prefer to play as a girl. It allows me to get much more emotionally invested in the game (self insert).

• See, more people want to play as their own gender, yet they still only make male protagonists. I accept if they need a male for the story but there should always be the option.

• Same gender (when possible)

• Voted D
    Dont care

What Guys Said 8

• I prefer playing with characters of opposite sex, my favorites are: Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Kitana, Chun-Li, Claire Redfield, Tifa Lockhart, Seong Mi-na, Ling Xiaoyu, Mai Shiranui, and many others ;)

• Well I am a man so yes I like my characters to be male, though some games I play, the classes are gender locked.

• When it comes to games where I created my character, I always play as my gender.

As for other types of games, I don't care for the gender.

• A lot of people like to live vicariously through their characters so they usually try to model them after themselves (or at least how they see themselves)

• Normally i pick the same gender... but when i have had create more than one like i did on metin 2 i have too creat both gender because they could marry :)

• Yaya. Male guy. Reason being: I don't want the gamer guys to be all over me.

• Definetley same gender

• depend on class/job
    male-tank/melee dps
    female-ranged dps/healer