Do you or have you ever played an instrument?

I played the violin for two years in elementary school and clarinet for two years in middle school and wish I would have kept playing. I miss playing an instrument. I switched to choir in high school and absolutely loved it, but wish I would have been able to afford private lessons to continue either of the two instruments or perhaps piano lessons. If you do not play an instrument, would you like to and which one?

Most Helpful Guy

• Ooh violin? That's awesome! I have always wanted to play that. The instruments I play are...
    1.) Clarinet / Bass clarinet -- Learned it in middle school from the music teacher. Stopped playing it for some years, retaught myself in high school so I could be in band (band teacher wouldn't let me learn percussion :( )

2.) Drums -- Before I officially got a drumset and starting teaching myself how to learn, I developed coordination and such from a game called Rockband. It had a plastic drumset. I couldn't even play easy mode at first, but played a lot and got to expert. Then I asked myself sophomore year in high school "What am I spending my life on?" and I got a real set.

3.) Bass Guitar -- I told my band teacher "I'm done playing bass clarinet for band. I want to do percussion." Somehow we compromised at bass guitar. I liked playing bass and taught myself Junior year how to play it and read the music and crap. I went through the awful phase of hurting fingers and got quite a bit better.

4.) Guitar -- I eventually wanted to write and record my own music, so I taught myself guitar beginning of senior year in high school. I started with an acoustic and worked my way up from there. It's really helpful in writing music because I can think up vocals and stuff like that as I strum chords. Plus when I got into metal music, I was able to have fun shredding lol.

5.) Piano -- a work in progress. I have a crappy keyboard at my home, but I'm going to wait for teaching until I acquire the funds to buy a good keyboard with weighted keys and a pedal and stuff.
    ------------
    If I didn't have instruments to play, I'd probably go crazy. Writing music is how I get out my emotions from life out since I don't exactly have many people to talk to them about. They are a lot of fun and I practice them daily. I figured out the way to learn that worked for me was developing all the techniques and such from lots of youtube videos. Once I had proper technique down (so I wouldn't injure myself) I would basically play super easy songs and work my way up. One does not simply play Dream Theater music on the first day of learning and instrument xD Setting goal songs also helped a lot. That and songsterr. com

If anyone is interested in music, I highly suggest you try an instrument out! It's lots of fun, especially when you get good enough to play with other people and write songs :D

• Wow! That is a lot! It is much easier to learn more once you know the basics and how to read music. You seem like a very talented and creative person!

• I knew you were referring to that. Not everyone is a social butterfly. No worries!
      Congratulations on your first live performance! Sounds good!

• Thanks for MHO.

And thanks for listening to the song :D

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm a classically trained musician, with a focus on flute. I've been playing flute for about 15 years now, have a bachelor's degree in music and a master's degree in music education, and now I'm focused on becoming a full time teacher.

I've also been playing guitar and bass guitar (like in my photo) for 10 years now. I know a bit of piano but my husband is the piano player in this house, lol. We often play and perform together. He plays violin as well.

• That is awesome! I am sure you will be a great teacher!

• I've already had success in my placements and also as a private music tutor. There isn't a teaching position on the horizon for me this semester though, so all the "back to school" signs are hitting me right in the feels, lol. 2016/2017 will be a better year, I know it! Lots of time, dedication, and money have gone into this.

• Thank you!

What Guys Said 18

• I've played a bit of Piano in my preteens but guess never got a complete hold on it though musical instruments remains in my bucket list :)

• I started piano at 5, moved on to theatre organ at 11.

See profile for our Conn 580 theatre organ,

• Drums. Drums. DRUMS. :D

• I used to play the piano and I can play the guitar a little bit.

• I played the trumpet and now I practice the guitar from time to time. Since the middle Eastern sounds appeal to me a lot, I like to practice flamenco styles.

• I do not play, but im interested on violin, and piano. I would like to learn to play on a electone because they can mimic an orchestra. I would like to compose.

Just have to wait a little.

• Is mayonaise an instrument?

• When I was about 3 I started learning piano and guitar. I've continued with guitar since and regularly play in pubs and other small town gigs. I prefer guitar as I spend a lot of time travelling and it's easy to carry lol

• I played with a medical instrument once. I got herpes after that.

• I played the trumpet in band glass in elementary, I didn't like it. I wan to learn to play the banjo

• I play the cello. I'm classy like that

• Just thd skin flute mostly. ...

• I have not played one, but would like to. I'm guessing an orogen. Very powerful.

• Piano. Yay.

• I play guitar. ..

• yes the piano.

• No but I want to play Guitar. I wanted to learn clarinet in middle school, but I decided not to. Clarinet looks soo much different from what Squidward played on Spongebob

• I have played guitar for about 6 years now, 4 of those years were a on and off thing whilst i was at school and uni

What Girls Said 11

• yeah i play the piano.
    i wish i could play the violin! or the cello. sexy af instrument.

• I play the piano, cello and guitar. Am still playing until now. Started leaning saxophone not long ago, but gave up. Would love to learn violin tho.

• I played the violin for 5 years... My instructor was a second Hitler so I gave up eventually...

I played guitar, the drums, bass, piano...
    I sing.

• Instructors like that just destroys the joy of it. Really sad.

• i played flute for two years in elementary school
    i've also played piano for 9 years on and off

as my family moved around a lot, sometimes lessons were hard to come by and instruction wasn't always consistent, so i felt i didn't progress as i would've liked to

• tried to play guitar but i really forgot how to play lols

• i tried my hands at those bongo drums and my teacher told me to stop cause of all the noise i was making and told me to try my hands and something else

• I am trained in piano

• I played Baritone/Euphonium for 6 years. I have guitars I would like to learn how to play and I also want to learn how to play the Trombone.

• I tried the clarinet and drums. Suck at both.

• I play the trumpet right now and a little bit of the piano.

• Violin- 9 years
    Piano- 6 years
    Guitar- 5 years
    Singing- whole life
    I also play in a band :)