Am I the only one who honestly doesn't understand the deal with these bass-driven EDM songs with zero real musical content?

[0:52 for the "climax", lol.]

I've been checking out this "Best Top EDM Music" album that I got and I'm just honestly appalled by most of these tracks have no melody, no pads, no substance; and they all go for this "drop" that's essentially just a monotone bass drum kicking for 30 seconds as if that was the epitome of the purity of all music ever designed and the greatest thing on Earth.

I'm somewhat disappointed that this is the current trend. Where'd the music with actual music go?

Here's a song with REAL build-up and a REAL melody and REAL music going on. Yes, I know it's chiptune. I don't mind that it's chiptune. If EDM ever gets this far in its composition, I'll be more eager to look out for it - until then, it's just monotonous bass drums!

https://cheapbeatsmusic.bandcamp.com/track/horizon-lines [0:44-1:10 for build-up, and the part after that is just awesome - - - (yeah, I can't just say "hey this is the whole damn song, enjoy the 1/4 rhythm bass drums with some repeated percussion nonsense so you'll feel like there was *something* put here to make it seem like this song took effort like apparently most EDM)]

How do you feel about these "bass-driven" (read: bass-only) songs? Are you just as annoyed by the lack of musical content in them as I am, or am I just missing something?

@Klaatu51 would be very disappointed!

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 6

• The answer to your question is simply this: much of this music is intended for dance clubs, where a steady driving beat is all that really matters. Plus, the DJ will often be using the song to mix with other songs, so the sparse emptiness gets filled in with other stuff.

Having said that, it certainly makes for boring music to listen to by itself, but again, it wasn't really intended for that - it was intended for the dancefloor of a club.

• disappointed y? if u don't like 'em fine np...

after all i'm not into modern EDM myself... my fav electronic genres r mostly electro, synth-pop, italo-disco and hi-NRG from 80s eurodance, vocal trance and acid house from 90s... i liked some stuff from 00s here and there as well and from 10s too...

• Disappointed because this particular type of music seems to have no music in it, in my opinion anyways XD

• as i said not disappointed.. so no worries :)

• Coz they're all shite nowadays. Should've been in Europe in the nineties when real dance music was getting made. It was a minted time. Paul van dyk and judge jukes were on the decks. You missed something

• The song has to mean something to me.

• It's easy to like and understand but doesn't bother with enduring quality, what else would you expect from pop?

It's call "trap" and yes it's shit... Trap is like 20 years old but it's been showing up more and more in pop with all the prevalence of electronic music. I'm more into Electrohouse and Dark DnB, screw that trap mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C3ziuoP6pM

• I'm with you there is no skill to making this awful noise