If William Shakespeare and Charles Dickens were alive today do you think they would they appreciate R&B, rap and hip hop?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Maybe to some degree. As someone said, the shapes keep changing, but the art stays the same. All art is trying to find some way of making sense of the subjective realm of experience. Shakespeare just wasn't a story teller, he was interested in the mind and the 'soul'. I'd prefer more contemporary high art such as Mahler, or even Elgar. It has a nice 'enduring' quality despite being a 100 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft6lPYjs1fQ

Most Helpful Girl

• I think they wouldn't appreciate the music, but maybe they'd appreciate some lyrics.- if they were decent - which most of them truly aren't.

What Guys Said 13

• I think Shakespeare would definitely be interested in rap especially older rap like from the 80s and earlier 90s. modern rap isn't as much a craft in most cases as it once was

• Nobody can possible know but if are to guess I'd say probably not. Shakespeare was from near Manchester which is really big on rock bands like Oasis, Stone Roses and The Smiths. I think he would have been into those bands.

As for Dickens. He wrote Oliver Twist who was a bit of a rebel. So I think he would have been into punk rock music.

• They would appreciate the art form, but not so much the art content. I think they would find the lyrics to be trite and stupid, but they would enjoy HOW the words are said.

• with Shakespeare creative juices he would have some sick bars

• R&B maybe, but not rap or hip hop

• They'd probably think the same as me and think rap was crap

• Eminem yes
    little john n shiz no

Anaconda no
    Hardwell spaceman i really dont know
    Maroon 5 yes

Edo tensai jutsu!!

• yes. because the value of art is subjective...

• Highly doubt it. Can't think of a scenario in which they would care too much about it either.

• No, they'd think it was tripe.

• Yeah, it's still poetry. Just with a beat put to it. Isn't classical music and opera supposed to tell stories too, just like rap and hip hop

• Contemporary culture has reached the lowest point in human history, I'm afraid.

• I hope not.

What Girls Said 6

• No they would not.
    Partly because rap and hip hop are totally different from each other, and they are more likely to appreciate poetry.
    And partly because most of it is complete shite.

• HECK NO LOL! they are way too noble for that.

• They liked to push boundaries and play with words so I don't see why they wouldn't.

• Well it was supposedly Shakespeare who coined the word "swagger", so perhaps yes. :p

• They would like old school rhythm and blues but definitely not that rap crap

• They probably would have created it.

• Invented it...