Why do critics hate on movies which are actually funny?

I just saw 'Pixels' and thought it was cute/funny, yet it is like 17 or 18% on rotten tomatoes.

It's not meant to be a cinematic masterpiece. It's weird that people get paid to be movie snobs and can't appreciate something for what it is.

Most Helpful Girl

• I saw a review of that movie and the critic absolutely HATED it. I didn't understand that extreme emotion over something as inconsequential as a movie. But someone else informed me that people from my generation who grew up with those video games, take the movie much more personally. Whatever floats their boat I guess. If they want to get THAT riled up over a silly movie, that's their choice.

Most Helpful Guy

• Look at critic reviews only when you're going to watch a film as an art, it won't give exact idea but it'd be somewhat clear.
    Otherwise go with your gut feelings and opinions of people with similar taste. Films are for entertainment. Each film is targeted at different audience and those critics don't get that. They want some kind of message, emotions or art in every single film. Seriously who goes to watch an all-out action flick with intention of getting some kind of message and emotions.

What Girls Said 1

• Because critics are usually a bunch of old crusty white men who are outdated on what's actually good because they're stuck on what they specifically relate to and the past.

What Guys Said 3

• because the critics are all thinking everything needs to be high society movies other wise they hate it

• Some reviewers are movie buffs, maybe even went to college for film and media like Citizen Kane. So, they kinda know the good shit from the chaff.
    I am not, and I like the most movies reviewers don't.
    Don't go by them.

• Have to raise standards to rate something. Besides, when do you ever just take cues from a rating. Watch the movie, if you like it, you like it.