Why is "The Walking Dead" so successful?

I know that some people are big fans of it, otherwise they would cancel the series.
But, I don't understand why is so popular. It seems confusing to me.
So, why does so many people like it?

I'm not trying to argue with the fans, I just want to understand the reason of its success.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because of the quick changes compared to other dramas, while still staying consistent with the suspense that ties the slow parts together.

There is no 'safety'. As soon as you think you think things are going well, the show rips the light away. You eventually become just like the people in the show are: Cynical. You know the worst is going to happen, you just don't know when.

Characters you hate but relate to are effective in dramas, and The Walking Dead pulls that off very well.

• What he said... also zombies... people love shooting zombies/seeing them get shot... or I do anyway. XD

Most Helpful Girl

• I really like the story, the characters are also really good. It's completely different than anything that came before it in my opinion. There were movies about zombies, but this show really got to people. I think because we really get to know the characters in an intimate way. Little pieces of their stories each episode and the characters change and develop over time.

I like how people who didn't know each other at all, came together and formed a group to help keep each other alive. It really speaks to our origins as people. We used to be in tribes or groups and hunted and kept each other alive. It goes back to that sense, when people were primal. In a time where everyone is connected by phones and computer screens, people are connecting in real time on this show and are facing real threats to their lives.

What Guys Said 30

• I LOVE IT SOO MUCH

The concept is almost unbeatable, the characters have actual character, it's written well, and it's gripping. AND original!

• i don't get how people think it's good. i tried to watch it and it was really boring... and i'm the type of person who likes shows that's not all action. i just don't get it. the zombies are not intimidating. ok, a little, but if you can run over walking speed and don't completely suck at building, you are set. it's not like zombieland where the zombies could chase you down. also, they all complain a lot and a lot of unnecessary stuff filled in that could've easily been avoided.

but hey, i won't judge if you do like it. i watch a plenty of shows that i can see why people wouldn't like it.

• Which episodes did you watch?

• @Dandeus: i watched the 1st season and a good part of season 2 and bits and pieces here and there because my friend actually likes it. i don't say i watch the show because i'm not an expert on the show, but i've seen enough to get a fairly accurate gist of the style of the show. it only takes a handful of episodes to understand the director's formula. and no, i didn't think it was that good. making a zombie movie a drama to me is like you tried to make the texas chainsaw massacre a romance. yeah, could add an extra dimension, but really, you're being chased by a psycho. who would give a fuck?

• I have nothing against the The Walking Dead but I never thought it was that great. When I used to get on AMC Network so often after a long day from work, I prefer watching Breaking Bad over The Walking Dead, by a lot.

• Three words: Daryl F%$king Dixon.

• It's a zombie show but the show actually just doesn't stop there.. The character development and it's exploration into human survival and tribalism in apocalyptic world really is good to follow.

• I don't know I like it kinda but its getting old. too much talking and feelings not enough zombies and action.

• meh it's just another glorified zombie drama but it has some interesting themes like the social dynamics of how a group interact when isolated from the outside world and the political instability of anarchy forcing society to reorganise itself into tribal territories. overall it's not exactly game of thrones or breaking bad but it's better than 95% of the shit on tv.

• Walkimg dead in mainly about sirvival and not just killing the zombies and finding a cure like most zombie sh**

It surprises me that I don't like the walking bread

• It's the Zombie Apocalypse and it's a dark show that kills off all the "good hearted" people to shock people. It keeps taking away their hope for a good future. And people want to see if they will ever get it.

• Its interesting to humans when there's fictional stories about dead humans that are somewhow moving

Anything zombie related is loved... i love zombies lol

• Yeah, my cousin loves that show, I'm not into it much but will glance at it some what
    i think they keep people interested in it is why they make so much money on it.

• Because it's very interesting, and lots of people like zombies.

• It's a soap opera, but it has zombies in, so guys can watch it too.

• There aren't really many TV series with Zombies.

• I like it cause of story line and character development. But that governor guy really made it hard to watch. Even if he was a good character I would still want to kill him. He has one of those faces , you know.

• because it hit a nerve, where there are a lot of zombie related games out there and a lack of "good" zombie movies. also the production quality is pretty damn high, considering it´s a series, not a movie.

• I don't get it. Its super boring and repetitive. The first two seasons were ok. After that Boring, boring , boring. The same shit happens over and over just with different characters.

• The theme isn't as popular an element as the background, imho. A post-apocalyptic wasteland where there are no rules or complications or restraints of modern society. Sounds good, but... without rule of law, anything goes...

• its popular
    people like the show
    people love zombies
    its well dont and directed
    it tells a great story of the chracters

there are some reasons for you : )

• Same thing with fame of thrones. It's unpredictable

• I liked the first season for the special effects. After that the quality fell off a cliff

• because it is good

• Because mainstreamers love zombies.

• Cool ass characters (except for everybody hates Chris dude he sucked), good story, and action. I don't see anything wrong with it.

• I like fear the walking dead more.

• It is a good show.

• Why is Keeping Up With The Kardashians so successful?

• I think it's a bad series. My theory is that people have been used to watching garbage on TV.

• My dad use to watch it, my mom an I both never watched it. He didn't like that there was no character development. I wouldn't to now since I didn't watch it but yeah, otherwise he enjoyed it, he just wishes the characters had evolved more

• I watch the show but I'm not a hardcore fan of it. It's just somewhat entertaining that's all.

• It is simply entertaining as heck.

What Girls Said 11

• because everybody secretly wants to be eaten by a zombie. D:

... aaaaanyway!! :D! I think it's mostly because people in general like the notion of ideas, theories and or possibilities of a post apocalyptic world... everyone likes to hear about how the world will end... when it will end etc.. etc.. etc.. ...
    thats' also why all these earthquake movies and the like get so much rating when they hit the cinemas. people like to hear this crap... cause it's thrilling, and has us at edge... thinking, hoping, speculating,... we like to worry about stuff like that and think of it as awesome at the same time... because it makes our lives that much more meaningful and more exciting... to think that this could actually happen... etc.

• I love the show! It's based on the comics, so a lot of its fans started out reading those. There aren't any other shows likes it. It also helps that amc has other good shows like breaking bad.
    I like how suspenseful it is, and you really get to know the characters and the plots each season are great and it's getting even better with all the internal conflicts this season

I do have to say that I'm not as big a fan of fear the walking dead so far, maybe that's just because the plot is developing much more slowly

• it's got a good story line and good action! people fall in love with the characters and want to see how they progress and carry on in the zombie apocalyptic world. it's like any other show or movie. why do you or anyone like it so much? haha.

• I don't watch it, but my nephew does. I just wanted to know why people like it so much.

• Because even terribly written dramas have fans.

I ask myself why reality tv is the easiest thing to find on television today, and I don't get that either.

I guess people with no imagination will watch shows with no imagination.

• Lol! At the dislikes! C'mon people! You have to know it's bad, right?

I mean, I have my guilty pleasures too, but at least I'm aware they're badly written television. ;)

• I tried watching the show on netflix. It's so mind numbingly bad. I don't understand how it lasted past season 3. I know it's based off a comic book.

• It's just sooo amazing I guess. Lol. Its different from anything I've ever seen. The actors are absolutely amazing and the show isn't surrounded by zombies, it's actually about humans trying to keep their sanity and hold on to their humanity under the circumstances. I'm absolutely in love with it. My Favorite show by far. Comes back next Sunday😛. That's just my two sense.

• At first like i didn't watch when it comed out then it got on Netflix then one day i decide to see if i liked it then i started watched then i like it a lot. I guess depends on peoples taste in things but nothing last forever.

• Hate that show only because my ex loves it lol :)

• Because it's an awesome fucking show. Sure there have been a few episodes that weren't the best, but all in all the show is great.

• The Walking Dead is one of my favorite shows!

Season 1 is still the best. The show went downhill after creator Frank Darabont was fired.

It's successful because it's the first of its kind. Plus, it has a little bit of everything in it, zombies, drama, action, interesting characters & a compelling story-line about survival after a zombie apocalypse. What's not to love :)

However, the writing is becoming comical because the writers change almost every episode & they lack consistency & creativity, but it is still superior to "Fear The Walking Dead", that show is just mind numbing horrible lol!