If you have a choice between two lucrative and fun careers, which one would you rather be: a Video game director/developer or a film director or?

possibly both?

Imaging being as great as Hideo Kojima in video gaming or as great as Stanley Kubric in films.

Legend of video gaming -

Legend of film directing -

• Video Game Director/Developer
  • Film Director
  • Both
  • Others

Most Helpful Girl

• film director !
    i know a few famous ones and it seems like a really rewarding job

Most Helpful Guy

• a game developer sounds the most fun but I think it could become too intense for me when I get older - there is too much of a call to keep with the 'trends.' A movie director, however, doesn't really have to deal with that. The script is written for him. The acting cast is chosen for him. The set is built by other people.. his only job is making it all believable. I could do that, I think.

What Girls Said 1

• film, because then I could work with actors.

What Guys Said 4

• Not into gaming so would pick film director

• I like both of these jobs :P

• Metal Gear Solid and Japanese games in general are overrated. 99% of Japanese games these days are cartoony pastiches of old western media tropes.

You can't compare that to the historically iconic productions of Kubrick.

• I don't know about you but I find most of the mainstream western-made games to be more grossly overrated than any other video game franchise. We constantly get Call of Duty shoved down our throats with more senseless short story campaigns, overpriced irrelevant DLCs and copy-and-paste gameplay every single year.

• I didn't say the western games were better. I do know indie developers are more willing to take chances, but if we're talking only about big, corporate games, there is almost no room for creativity. But the Japanese game industry even seems to revel in that, and it seems to have far, far more fanboy apologists. Very pretty, flashy but hollow crap coming out of Japan, lately. That's how Japanese culture is, these days. There are always great creative minds in game development, including in Japan, but they have to move aside for what sells, or what executives think will sell.

• Video game designer, every time. Assuming I was good at my job, that is. :P