I'm just terrible at videogames, am I alone?

Every single videogame i play i'm absolutely terrible at. Even on easy i die lots and when playing multiplayer i've never once gone positive k/d. I'm just bad.

Is anyone else like this? How can i get better? Even with 400 hrs into tf2 im still terrible

• I'm also terrible at games
  • I'm good at games

Most Helpful Guy

• Some games you click with, some you don't.

I am pretty good at the Battlefield series. I was very good at CoD3, and can hold my own in GTA Onine. However, Counterstrike flummoxes me, as does Red Orchestra 2 and Natural Selection 2.

This isn't to say that you won't get better, but it can take a lot of time, and you need to decide if the game is worth that investment or not.

As an aside, many games are now more about quick deaths and overpowered weapons than they used to be. The old school of FPS games like Doom, Duke 3D, Quake and Unreal: they often had protracted running battles. Counterstrike was a huge influence in changing all that with 'realistic' weapons that kill an opponent in a few hits.

Most Helpful Girl

• practice practice practice. Or you need someone to make you really mad, I was playing a smash tournament at my university for fun and the guy I was playing started spewing all this sexist crap and calling me a clueless bitch and whore, so I got mad and just stayed silent until I beat him. Then I took his $50 he wagered for losing and flipped him the middle finger, everyone was laughing at him it was great. And now I am really good at smash!

• I do practice, i've spent 400 hrs in tf2 alone and hundreds more in the others i do. It doesn't work.

What Guys Said 19

• I would try to identify what exactly it is that makes you so bad. I had a friend who loved call of duty, but he had like a.5 k/d despite playing it nonstop. My k/d was decent, so he asked me for help. While I was watching him play, I noticed that he was basically just sprinting straight at the nearest red dots on the mini map and running straight into the enemies. While so pros can pull that off, most normal people can't, so I taught him to be a little more cautious and use the map better, and he started doing way better. Since you're a girl, you could probably easily find some really good players to take you under their wings and give you advice.

Obviously practice helps, but like any other skill, if you practice it incorrectly, you're not going to improve much.

• TF2?
    What's your favourite class?
    The demoman and the pyro tends to be simpler classes to play as compared to the twitchy scouts and snipers.
    I just half zatochi and charging targe on my demoman and go about collecting heads with them random crits.

• I play engi or medic most often.

• Grab a deus ex machina , and the mini sentry.
      Let the qq ensue. Combat engies FEAST on their tears and scraps.
      Medic is the 2nd hardest class to play behind spy so yeah... pickle

• depends on the type of games you are playing. First time I met my sister in law we played left 4 dead and she spent more time shooting us than the zombies. Now it is two-ish years later and we are all have pretty close scoring at the end of a map.

• Sometimes there are things in this world that we are just bad at. We can try and put in loads of effort but we are still terrible. I'm wicked bad at navigating for some reason. I can't get anywhere without using a GPS. I've accepted that about myself.

• To be honest, I'm pretty good at games, and I also lose a lot when I play online. That's because a HUGE percentage of the people who play online dedicate themselves to play somewhat competitively. If you're a casual player, forget about winning online. I only got to win a good number of times in MKX, and that's because I spent a lot of time at forums and in practice mode, learning about frame data, combos, and other "pro" stuff. Losing against the AI in Easy Mode is understandable if you haven't been playing since you were a little kid, like most of us guys have been doing. I must've been four or even less when I started playing videogames. So don't feel bad; all you need is a lot of practice.

• I was about 4 too when I started playing and when I was like 6 I would play American Mcgee's Alice with my mom... I still can't believe my mom let me play a horror game in grade 1 but I loved it.

• I thought you were one of the elitist

• I used to be quite good... then like 8 months ago i started hormone therapy and ever since then i've gotten steadily worse.

• aww that's a bummer. sorry about that. I was never amazing at online shooters, only decent. I have more fun playing online games with mods like counter strike zombie mod lol

• No offense, but you are setting yourself up with that question.

On another note my older brother is also garbage at games, and not just video games, all games. How do you suck at I De-clare-war, it's mostly a game of luck. Lmao

• That's pretty much why I quit gaming. The only game I was ever good at can't even run on my crappy laptop and it took my years to get good at that.

• Maybe you should change the genre of game.
    Also, who cares if you are great, just make sure you have fun with it.

"Even with 400 hrs into tf2 im still terrible "

I've gamed since I was young, and am decent to awesome at most MP games, but I get killed in TF2.
    Again, play different games.

• nope, I think I'm quite good but it depends a little bit on the genre. in RTS I'm absolutely terrible. maybe shooters are the wrong genre for you, but at then end it doesn't really matter if you are super good or not. you need to have fun and if that's the case then fuck it, don't listen to other people and just have fun! ;)

• You are not alone - I am beyond terrible at video games.

• I've always been mediocre at video games, with my few good moments. I don't even play them anymore except for rarely, I've honestly grown out of them and life has taken over for me. Maybe one day I will enjoy them again on a regular basis. Why don't you find a LAN party you can join, and you can practice with them and ask them to show you things? Good luck brah.

• I have been playing 3 different videogames semi-professionally (aka having earned some money with it) in my life. Even though I don't paly as much anymore I would say I am pretty decent.

• I generally suck at games, despite years of playing them. Which is why I avoid multiplayer games like the plague and tend to go for more single player, story driven titles like Telltale's The Walking Dead or Mass Effect.

• I'm good at games in general, but it depends on what type. I suck at aiming, so no shooters for me. I'm also not too good at racing. But I'm great at things like RPGs and other stuff.

• Positive kd... so are we talking about a shooter? Lol

• Yeah. Everyone else is amazing at them.

• sucking on an easy game like tf2 .. much sad.

• Depends on the game, there are some games I just absolutely dominate at while others I don't because I've either never played them or I've barely played them. The one game I wish I had beaten that I never did, was banjo. I loved the game but jut never managed to defeat her. I gave up

What Girls Said 6

• Practicing a lot helps, and if practicing doesn't help you... then I guess you should stop playing video games in an effort to be good and ply them for fun instead.

• I watched you play before you're pretty damn good lol

• @RedThread Yeah! Just invite me to your fireteam if I'm on when you're on, and if I'm not on at all then just shoot me a message here 'cause I'm sure I'll be around lol

• Sweet sounds fun. I'll do that.

• I'm good at most games...

• You can't be bad at the Sims and Pokemon.

• Im good at them but I sucked at first! Just practice! :)

• I'm easy to learn them 😁

• Honey, I'm right with you. I suck at practically all games. Only games I'm good at are puzzle type games like Portal. Other than that I SUCK, but I still find enjoyment playing them with friends and family. :)