Why do people like rock music so much?

Such as Indie, garage rock, and alt. rock.

Is it because it's a mostly white genre now?

914

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know why, it just gives me eargasms, that's basically it. 😐

• Is it because of your race? You feel culturally in tune?

• People don't that's for sure. They get applaud when I say race and culture matters when it comes to what you listen to.

• *appalled

Most Helpful Guy

• I love rock music.
    Is it because I'm white? No.

I like it because of the musicality of it and the technical ability of rock. I love the shredding guitar solos because they are fun to play. I like the harmonies of the singers and the raspy voices because I feel they add emotion. I feel like the lyrics are also often deep and full of emotion too. I like alt rock and indie rock too because it provides interesting new material. Personally, I feel like many hip hop/rap beats are recycled and I don't like a lot of modern pop because of auto tune and stuff. And, on the whole, I just like the overall sound. It appeals to my ears.
    Rock music tends to have less auto tune and editing of the voice. It is more pure of a sound I'd say. Yes, auto tune and editing does happen, but not to the same extent as other genres.

For those reasons are partly why I like rock music so much. Not because I'm white.

• I feel like when it comes to rock there's only but so much you can do with a guitar. At the end of the day it's the same strings. Eventually if you keep making songs with a guitar your melody is going to sound like someone else.

With pop and hip hop/rap everything is used. Anything and everything. Are there producers who use the same basic skeleton for all their beats? Hell yeah, but the diversity in it is so much greater. So if that's your argument you failed there.

As far as auto tune yes rock tends to use it less but I don't know many artists who don't alter their vocals. Basically every successful artist has some kind of sound engineer that plays with the vocals of the artist to get a perfect sound. That's with all genres.

I just think it can't be a coincidence that the majority fans of rock music are white when again it comes to alt. rock, garage rock, Indie, etc.

People just don't want to accept that culture has an affect on us all. Me too. It affects me as well.

• (Sorry about the ranting)

• Yeah I mean if you want to play guitar then rock is the way to go.

I listen to rock myself dude. I listen to rock, pop, electronic, ambient, classical, hip hop, R&B, no wait... what don't I listen to? Country and metal. That's about it. Yet I still acknowledge that genres are racially cultivated.

Music is apart of culture and so is race. So often times they go hand in hand.

Sponsored

What Girls Said 8

• I enjoy rock. I dunno, rock was derived from blues music which featured a lot of black artists, so it's history isn't really white, though I agree that there are a lot more white rock artists than black ones.

• I love indie music because it makes you feel happy and sounds soft and quiet. It calms the spirit and soul, mind, and body. I absolutely adore indie music.

• I dont particularly love rock but I do have one or two indie and alternative I enjoy but I don't really the genre

• I just do. It doesn't have anything to do with being white.
    I dunno, my parents always listened to it and it just stuck.

Does there really have to be a reason for liking something? lol

• My point is that it's racially cultivated. Your parents listened to it because your grandparents did. Your grandparents did because it was whites singing and rocking out. It's true. Race is culture and music is culture.

You don't think about it though. I understand. I didn't either. It's because it's subconscious and a tough truth to accept.

• Oh my god, give me a break. They didn't go searching the world for all music and then decide "THIS ONE IS WHITE I WANT THIS ONE" they live in the south. It's just what they listen to.

• I live in the south too. I don't listen to country. Yeah I know they didn't search the world. They heard their race on the radio or something and felt culturally inclined.

• im Asian i to rock and Metal i take offense to this post

• I like some of it because of its sound. My favorite type of rock is probably psychedelic rock.

• Don't know, but I don't like it.

What Guys Said 13

• 'm white (and not proud about it i must state) and i don't like rock music much... i don't hate it... i just don't go crazy bout it...

ma fav genres r electronic-related... ;)

but rock isn't white music actually... rock's originated from blues which's black music u know... so if any white person claims "rock's for whites"... then he must make some research first...

basically most music genres r "black"... electronic dance music's black as well... first techno records were made by black americans (see electro genre)... also dub reggae's an early form of electronic uptempo music...

• White genre? I just enjoy listening to them. Don't care about white or anything.

• Rock is rooted in Blues, and Blues are African American in origin, so...

Anyway, I'm not sure why race has to matter.

• I didn't know that -________-

I didn't say stuff like indie, garage, or alt. rock though did I? -_______-

All that stuff comes from whites. Race matters because it dictates what we listen to usually. You don't listen to Blues or hip hop because it's black music. You don't relate. You like white culture music. Don't you?

• Need we talk about Eminem? How about Elvis? Of course there are some artists of other races who contribute, but the genres still are racially cultivated.

• dis... rock = black music originally...

• I don't care if it's white, black, rainbow genre

I like certain music, just because I like the sound of it or the lyrics in it

• Lol white only genre that's incredibly dumb thing to say but you'd be right if it was for country music

• Darrius Rucker would say otherwise.

• wait I'm lost what are you talking about xD white only meaning the singer or the fans

• I know other races into country.

• Because it's fucking awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaWmWTTIF9Y

• Meh. The guitar is okay.

• White guy here, I like rock, metal, techno, rap, hip hop, etc. Because it's my taste.

inb4theyreallwhitegenres.

• I listen to it because I like it.

"White genre"? Why is everything about race on this website?

• Because it's the Devil's music and he's super powerful and shit, obviously.

• If the Devil exist then he/she/ or it is in all music.

• I see what you did.

• Is this real life? Is this just fantasy... caught in a laaaaaaaaaand slide..

• No escape from reality...
      Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see

• gOod question. i find most of that stuff really boring because it doesn't have a good beat.

• I don't think race has anything to do with its popularity.

• alt rock is good. maybe some indie.