Which country has made the best music of all time?

Another question in the UK vs USA "war".

• The USA
  • The UK
  • See results.

Most Helpful Girl

• This question will tie into what people like in general. People who are more into metal and rock will probably lean more into UK while people who are into pop culture might lean more into US. I like a lot of the music that is in nowadays and I like korean hip hop in general which was influenced by American media so I'm going to say US.

• UK it's definetely not metal/rock... it goes like...

UK = pop
      US = hip-hop
      Continental Europe = Electronic/Dance
      Scandinavia = Metal
      AUS/NZ =Rock

• UK having metal/rock in the comments I meant

• well UK is mostly remembered for those mediocre metal/rock and moronish punk bands indeed... all pop acts have "died" pretty much... but there were xcellent UK pop acts like ABC, Bananarama or Erasure... unfortunately they were overshadowed by Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Whitesnake and all those shit... :(

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends what you like, really. If you like rock music you could make a strong case for either country. I'm not a huge rock fan myself, I prefer rap, and in that genre it's no contest. Only UK rappers I even know are the S. A. S. guys that Dipset signed, and I never quite got used to the accents.
    http://youtu.be/zaagW0S-5l0
    I can't lie though, "And it's over, doja, when I flip and put the Razor to your face, I ain't talkin' 'bout a Motorola" is a hot line, haha, at least in '06.
    cdn2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/motorola/mov3_00.jpg

What Girls Said 8

• Meh, America doesn't make music as good as we do. But really, you’re not as good as we Brits. Seriously.

Haha.

<3

• UK made some pretty iconic artists. It doesn't matter if they only became superstar famous after reaching the US - that's only a testament to how good they are. Half my playlist are artists from the UK. The other half is shit like Jrock and Kpop. There's actually very little from the US.
    This also depends on who you listen to though.

• The UK without a second thought

• To me the only 2 best things about he UK is Queen with freddie mercury and adele. That's it.:D

• I know it isn't an option but I pick Sweden.

• Yeah exactly. I wonder if the asker knows that a majority of the singles coming out today for American and UK artists are composed by Swedish song writers. Im a metal head and think the Swedish are up there with the best American and UK metal stuff.

• Iceland? Don't recall any Iceland artists xept Sugarcubes/Bjork and Mezzoforte...

• @Klaatu51 Bjork is cool but there's also Sigur Rós, Of Monsters and Men, Lay Low, Ólafur Arnalds, Ólöf Arnalds, to name a few.

• that's hard to choose.

• That's a tough question, because I enjoy bands or singers from both. But when I compile a list of my favorites, there's a bit more Brits on there, so I voted UK.

• e. g. never liked the beatles

• Why? is it the "overrated" remark or something?

• @Klaatu51 They weren't overrated, they are overrated. It's different. The people now when they think of the 60s, it's the Beatles, it wasn't like that before. Though I don't think they were the greatest band of all time, they were still incredibly innovative and were influential to many.

• @NonCreativeUsername well... as i said it seems beatles r being idolised widout being sooooo special... dunno y but they do... they just had many fangals back in their day... ;p

@asker way overrated man... for me they were kinda average... ok maybe i might be biased since i like electronic-music... so i dunno... but definetely i can mention more than 100 artists i think they r better than them... ;)

What Guys Said 30

• Seeing how America has been the most dominating nation in pop culture and in producing music for the past century and seeing how many UK genres are based off of American music then America definitely has the edge.

In terms of mainstream relevance? American music wins

In terms of Quality? Highly subjective since both countries specialize in different genres. So it really depends on the taste of the individual.

In terms of Quantity? America in a landslide. (But that's to be expected seeing how America is 5 times larger then the UK in population and 40 times larger in terms of landmass size.)

Me personally, since America had Michael Jackson... they win.

• every bit of music we enjoy from the late 50's on up to current day all sprang from American blues before it, all of it. keith richards and paul mc cartney know it and would tell you so as well, even jimi dug up out of his grave would tell you the same. no American blues means no British invasion, which changes history dramatically.

• i love the British invasion (pink Floyd, the kinks, the beatles, rolling stones, led zeppelin, van Morrison, etc)... but even those brits admit that without the America blues and folk there wouldn't be most of the British music of the mid to late 60s

• neither. Scnadinavia does. The capital of everything hard and metal. Especially satanrock (black metal).

• That's kind of difficult because there were a lot of good UK bands back in the day. But did really take off until they played here.

But at the same time many music genres were born and created here in the U. S. by Americans that still exist and are even world wide music genres.

• I beleve it goes like...

70s: Italy
    80s: UK
    90s: Germany
    00s and on: US

• Haha... Germany

• @Tmc1981 wot's so funny about it? Germany had da best artists in Eurodance genre... remember Captain Jack, Maxx, Mr. President, Pharaoh or Loft?

• Well, the UK started metal (Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden), but the USA has a ton of great bands that followed that.

• USA for sure. Rap and EDM were invented in the US, that enough gives them the vote.

• Rap was NOT invented in the us, Rapping can be traced back to its African roots. Centuries before hip-hop music existed

• @Do_It_with_Spam damn... call a mod to report ma comment then since i can't report it maself though... anyway wot u were talkin about it's called spoken word...

• The personal computer's roots can be traced back to Babbage's difference engine in the 1820s, but that does not make them the same thing.

@do_it_with_spam

• America, clearly, by a massive margin.

The UK might have had an edge over the US for rock music in the 60s and 70s, and they've had some major pop acts in the last decade as well, but when you look at blues, country, jazz, funk, R&B, pop, hip hop? Hell, even film composition and musical theater.

Come on now... there's really no comparison.

• England got Steve Harris and Bruce Dickinson.

• If you're just talking rock & pop, then the UK - but we couldn't compete with US blues, country, motown, jazz, rap, soul, etc.

• I'd say US since they have Imagine Dragons, Green Day and Guns N Roses while the UK only has the Beatles and Coldplay.

• You can't be serious LOL

• Iron Maiden, the Who, Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Queen, Blur, the Clash, the Kinks, the Smiths, the Stone Roses, Fleetwood Mac, even the Jimi Hendrix Experience was formed in the UK...

You have a very, very poor taste in music.

• Out of the ones you listed I only like Queen and Led Zeppelin they still are not enough to make UK better than the US in music.
      Creedance Clearwater Revival, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Andrews Sisters and many more make America better.

• I've always lived in the US and most of my personal favorite artists are from the US. That being said, the UK makes better music.

• Most British 60s-70s music are rip offs of American folk and blues. But then again Americans also ripped off blues and folk for music. Contemporary I'd say USA has better music in my opinion

• Germany / Austria. Nothing beats Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven.

• Ahh as a Brit in the states I'll definitely say UK the yanks didn't appreciate blues and rnb us Brits polished it and sent it back! The black bluesman had to come to England to get discovered. Hendrix was a nobody in American eyes but in England he became a rock god. Beatles Stones Zep need I continue?

• Since you said of all time I will nominate USA for our classic rock.

• From a perspective from neither countries. I would say UK.

• I'm British and I like American music more.

• USA all the way. Our movies are better too.

• The USK? The UKA, maybe? I don't know... 😛

• The UK has a fantastic music scene.

• Seeing im into dubstep I am obliged to say UK :D

• Hah, I don't know about this one. Let the gods decide.

• The US hands down. Futre, Migos, rap/trap in general. freaking awesome

• Vikings Scandinavians

• None of the above, I think Germany, Sweden, Ireland, Netherlands and Belgium have the best music.

• Have to go with Germany or Austria. Hard to top Bach or Mozart.

• The Beatles were born in the u. k. But didn't eco me world famous until they hit America. Def leppard was born in u. k. But didn't get world famous until they hit America, black sabbath was born in u. k. But didn't get world famous until they hit America, need I say more?

• Define "famous".

The Beatles were famous in Europe before they hit America.

• You only picked 3 bands though, and they're not exactly the biggest, bar the Beatles.

• I could have done more, if I wanted, just kept it to three, that's why I said "need say more", and those three are def. some of the most popular bands out there, trust me

• In my preferred genre of music, most of my favorite bands hail from the US or AUS. Some excellent stuff coming from the UK, just not as much.