Which music genre do you think is the most technical and takes the most skill to play?

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 4

• Classical is probably the hardest to play, especially the Orchestras. You have all these people who need to work in exact unison for it to sound good.

But it depends. There's this band, Van Canto. They have exactly one drummer, and five singers. They're an acapella metal band, and they imitate guitars with their voice. It actually ends up sounding really good, although a bit weird at first. I'd say that takes a bit more skill than a small orchestra.

• Jazz music.

...

• Metal I do believe. The heavy guitar playing & crazy drumming seems very difficult

• classical. blues and funk.

What Guys Said 4

• jazz or classical for sure. it takes absolutely mastery of the instrument. particularly jazz where so much is improved

but those two genres feature songs that are typically longer format with very little in the way of repeated notes or melodies (compared to others).

I love rock and the blues but they (and metal especially) are very repetitive. verse, chorus, verse, chorus, verse, chorus/bridge, chorus

I can sit down and learn a rock song in a matter of minutes (maybe an hour for especially difficult songs) but jazz and classical (both of which I play) take hours and days to learn and often weeks if not months to perfect because of the variation

• Ofcourese rock is essentially just perfect fifth intervals over pentatonic scales, and blues is dom7ths over the same thing

Jazz has so many aspects and combines different scales, like diminished, lydian, pentatonic,

• I mean you can learn 3 chords and play a rock song. you can learn a metal song in short time. the blues once you learn the 12 bar blues is cake (although there are some fun variations like open tuning and stuff)

but in terms of prowess Jazz is probably the most difficult followed closely by Classical

• I went with classical, i'd go with metal soon after that... I listen a lot of neo-classical metal and visual kei which uses a lot of things from classical music and is about as difficult to play.

• Violin in classical music.

• Jazz hands down. I am a professional musician, and although I understand jazz, I can't play it naturally like I can with blues or classical, because the "chops" necessary take a lot more work to sound natural. For another example: The two famous Russian Pianists Rubinstein and Horowitz are quoted as saying that Art Tatum the jazz player was the best they'd ever heard, and they were in mortal fear of his criticism of their playing (not that he would have been mean, he was actually a pussycat), and they both thought they were poor pianists compared with him.