Do you feel video games of today (console and PC), are less "fun" than they used to be?

I've read some articles about the evolution of video games throughout their history, and a common trend that I noticed in the comments, was how video games now aren't as "fun" and creative,

although the graphics have advanced greatly and multiplayer has greatly enhanced and extended to consoles as well.

Do you think that video games of today are not as "fun" as they used to be? Why or why not? Vote on the poll and answer as detailed as you wish, giving examples if you so choose. 8-)

• I agree, video games are less "fun" now than they used to be in gaming generations past
  • nah man, video games are just as "fun" as they were in gaming generations past
  • bruh... video games of today are MORE "fun" than in gaming generations past

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly, i think they've become a lot better frankly. A lot of focus is put on bad examples like Call of Duty and what not, but gaming has come a LONG way as something beyond just something you did every now and then at the arcade. Today, gaming has become one of the best mediums of story telling there is. I mean games like The Last of Us have the most immersion I've ever seen human's manage to create when it comes to telling a story. Even the games without any story like Civilization V allow you to create your own emergent stories each and every game. The kind of mechanics and processing power that are possible today make games more interesting than ever. Graphics honestly help with that immersion.

The only issue is when a company puts more focus on graphics than they do story or gameplay. That's a legit problem today which gaming studios need to work on... But by and large, i have way more fun today playing video games than i ever have. I think when people think of the past, they just have a tendency to get over nostalgic of the old games they use to play, and i think that's largely due to the fact that their lives overall was easier/better back then, so they attribute some of those good feelings they use to have to the games they use to play, not realizing that part of why they enjoyed those games so much was because it was their first experience with gaming, and things came kinda easy back then in comparison to now. But really, i think gaming as a whole has taken great leaps forward.

What Girls Said 7

• I think they aren't fun at all... it's all repetitive junk and they focus the whole game on HD "special effects" than making a game with good gameplay or a good story, i still play old games or any games that are inspired by the classics, my favorite genre is ARPG like Diablo, Sacred, the first Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Siege, currently i play Drakensang Online which is obviously inspired by Diablo which i love :) even has the classic fixed camera angle, i HATE ARPG games that has free roam cameras... it makes you die too much because when you go to move the camera with your mouse to keep it on your character it really hard to control so your focusing more on trying to keep the camera on your character than playing the game urgh... useless... lol.

When they brought out Diablo 3 my bro stole the code and used it first knowing you could only use it once and it's now on Battenet but i watched him play it and it's utterly crap... lol that's just the base game... and there is far less in it than Diablo 1 the expansion, you now have to buy more expansions to be able to have more areas to explore... total sell out... most gaming companies have definitey sold out to make things "look cool" than actually making it fun.

• It REALLY depends. There are a lot of heavily advertised games that turn out to be boring because theyre full of quick time events, don't have much exploration involved, have linear and predictable plots... these games are not what the best in the industry are capable of, and Its dissapointing to see a game that looks like it's going to be really cool turn out to be another cookie cutter boring sandbox.

However, there are a lot of truly fantastic games in the modern generation. Dragon Age, Bethesda games, Dark Souls, and The Witcher series are all fantastic in my book, and win on story, exploration, and graphics. These games are made by people who really know what makes a game great.

There's also a lot of Indie games popping up that are pretty good. There's a lot of bad ones too, but it's fun to poke around on Steam sometimes.

• I'll never get tired of N64. Best console ever!!!

• The ones I like are more fun now than they were before.
    The thing that happens is that as you get older those things in general entertain you less than before. Simply because you have other things you may like to do more than play games.

• i don't play a lot of video games now than I used to before. I used to play a lot when I was younger. I don't have much time now but I don't think it was the reason why i don't play anymore. I usually get bored playing because the games today focus much on killing and cruelty. It's not really my kind of thing. I honestly think that classic games are much more interesting and enjoyable to play.

• Most video games today don't have an amazing story line. Though most people today only give a crap about graphics and how awesome the game looks. So the quality has gone down some. Though some new ones are good just not that many.

• I don't know, I enjoy some "older" games but I still am looking forward to new releases. I'm excited for Fallout 4 and StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void. I have fun with new games.

What Guys Said 17

• I don't know, I've kind of fallen out of video games. I just don't have the time anymore. I'm lucky to get in four hours of Madden in a year. Back in college when I had like 12 hours of free time a day, then I would go through periods of going hard. The last game I bought was GTA V, and it's good, but I've had so little time to play I haven't even unlocked that Trevor character yet, two years later. Actually, I just remembered I bought the digital version of NHL 14, and I played that tough for like three days and then forgot about it. Great game, but I just don't have the time. My big thing was always Madden, and NCAA Football, because they had that TeamBuilder site online to make custom uniforms. Guaranteed I have the hottest teams/uniforms in the fucking game, GUARANTEED, haha. I spent so much time over 5 years finding cool logos to use and using Pixlr to adjust colors and clean up edges of logos I had to cut out from a picture or those backgrounds meant to stop you from doing what I was doing, haha. And then after all that you can barely find anyone with a created team to play against, or it'd be some slapdick uniforms made with minimal effort, so I'd just play offline against my own teams for the visual effects. I'll never forgive EA Sports and/or the NFL for not allowing TeamBuilder in Madden, for whatever stupid reason they have. Madden 04 was the last one to have an adequate create-a-team mode, and I'm all about replacing all 32 teams with made up ones and playing in Franchise Mode. I haven't fucked with Madden in a couple of years now. Graphics are much better, but the overall game is buttcheeks.

• One thing that irked me about Madden in the past few years is the watering down of defensive controls. My defense in Madden is how I got my user name! ;-)

• Yeah, I heard they did that. I'm the same way, defense, defense, defense. NFL made them take the hit stick out because of all the negative concussion publicity. The game is a mess now, just like the actual league, haha. The thing that always drives me nuts about Madden, they'll introduce all these features, and some are great, but then they take out other shit, good features from past years. I wish they would keep the good features and just add more good features. These sports game designers are so afraid people won't buy the game every year, as if new players and accurate rosters and whatnot aren't enough, so I feel like they don't want to make that perfect game. Now I'm just out of the loop altogether, Xbox 360 is phased out, and I can't play enough to justify buying a next gen console😕

• Yeah. The genres have become very locked in. You have FPS's which all play exactly the same. RTS's which are pretty much the same as well.

RPG's have gotten much better by using actual voice acting. Final Fantasy X is my favorite for this reason. In the case of Bioware where your choices affect the story and dialogue, it's nice feeling you have an effect on the world.

For FPS, it seems like it is a bare-bones medium used to tell a story and show off graphics tech. Like the Crysis trilogy, which I keep around for benchmarks. FPS is good in its own right, but I've never played an FPS that felt "new" since portal. Though I am totally getting Battlefront because STAR WARS and FROSTBITE 3.

What I like are colorful and stylistic worlds of games like Ratchet and Clank and Psychonauts. I guess it's a platformer thing, and has been relegated to mostly indie games anyway.

Every once in a while, we get an amazing gem, though. Like the aforementioned Portal and Portal 2. And one of my favorite games of all-time, BRAID.

• Games companies today keep trying to up the "replay" value of their games. While in the past they didn't have the programming capabilities to make a game that can be played in theory over and over now they do. However while they do make some good games the only solution they have come up with to increase the replay value is "the grind." Or they just keep upping the difficulty until you need to do everything right or you die, or you need specific items or weapons which are of course uber rare, and require hours of repetitive farming, or raiding.

I don't mind farming, but it is all they seem to want to put into these games lately. It has become a crutch. They need to add game content as well, and many fail to take into account that not all gamers devote the same amount of time to the game. Typically older ones like us actually have jobs, many have families, and other interests and we want to play games, but we can't devote huge chunks of our time to them like back in the day, because we don't have free time.

A game based on farming or raiding, will disproportionately reward the gamers that do, and they will consequently lose gamers who have a life, or a full time job.

• It depends on the kind of games you play. I play mostly strategy games, those are still good, full of surprises and hard decisions. Games like Crusader Kings, for example. If you like shooters, action games and stuff like that, then I can agree with it, many games are too simple, you don't have to think much and many of them seem just the same game with a different skin.

• I think there is a lack of sort of the light hearted but fun types of games (like sonic, Mario, etc)

but I also wonder if it has a lot to do with the age of the gamer increasing. is it that games aren't as fun? or that I've just matured to a point where I'm less interested in gaming?

I don't know

• I noticed that too. I think I read an article about how game companies think stuff like that won't sell, but I personally think they're wrong.

• I’ve been a gamer for over three decades and I think the answer is yes to an extent.

Many games aren’t fun for their own sake any more, it’s all about grinds where it’s only barely fun if at all. It’s XP systems holding content back from you. It’s about unlocking stupid shit to impress other players.

Multiplayer isn’t about having a fun contest of skill, it’s about griefing and annoying other players, using the various annoying unlocks and perks and killstreaks. The emphasis on ‘realism’ means combat is always extremely fast and brutal, with an emphasis on ambushes or just flat out being killed by someone you never even saw.

Games are still fun, but not for the same reason. Creative and sandbox games like Minecraft are great and I’m glad they exist. Co-operative games like Guns of Icarus are fun and I’m glad they exist. There’s plenty of good Indie games that perfectly capture the feel of the good old days, like Shovel Knight and Spelunky and Freedom Planet. It’s the AAA stuff that’s losing the plot. They are much more tightly scripted, less freedom, silly QTEs, tons of DLC. They don’t respect their players or want to challenge them any more, they want to feed you dumb, bombastic entertainment just long enough for them to release the next game in the series.

Consider how heavily restricted SimCity was. Tiny city maps, broken systems, not a good game. Cities: Skylines has stepped up to fill the void that was left and it doesn’t pull any punches.

• I think it's because your generation has already experienced many genres of games and the games which come out nowadays are more targeted towards the newer generations. I believe that older and new games are equally fun. Both have their ups and downs. Many of my favourite series for handheld games spawned in the 2000s. Yet I love the classics like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy (3 and 4).

• I miss the days of one difficulty and only a lucky few being able to say that they "beat a game." Beating video games in the 90s was a badge of honor; now it's expected.

• Voted A. I have been a gamer since 1998. Games are nowhere as fun as they used to be. Only graphics have improved leaps and bounds. Games today are more like 'interactive movies', where the game holds your hand and walks you through.

• I usually play online or multiplayer games with my friends. The competitive part of games today are becoming more of a sport than "fun".

Silent Hill PT: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0CPyZjqHiI

• I think the older games were better. I like the banjo kazooie type games but they don't really make those anymore. That's why I'm looking im forward to yooka-laylee that comes out next October since it's going to be a similar type of game

• I guess so, some older video games were much more interesting, regardless of their graphics.

• There is a lot of awsome video games out thereyeah but my main problem is with the recycled triple A games with stuff like, fifas, COD, battlefield and some others that just dont seem to try too much any more with their games

other than that i am pretty happy

• Nostalgia is a powerful feeling

• I agree, I don't follow the mold of "back in the day is better". :-P

• I think it is more the focus has changed it went from just silly games to serious story telling.

• dunno. I don't follow video games, haven't since the playstation 1 era.

• I don't find single player games fun anymore, I like always stop playing withing a day or two. I don't know if its because games are getting more boring or because I am getting older and have played everything. I've been gaming since DOS days, well over 16 years ago.

The only games that can keep my interest are competitive multiplayer games. If I'm playing against a PC, it's no fun.