Are there any fans of The Kinks on here?

They were one of the British Invasion bands from the early 60's. They made many great records but for some reason have been overlooked and not given proper credit for their greatness.

Most Helpful Guy

• God Save The Kinks!!

Love them. they are definitely overlooked and underrated. A big reason for this was their ban from touring the US for more than 4 years. Touring has usually been the way bands built their fanbase and they were banned from touring the US (due to their onstage antics, one in which Dave Davies got into a fight with drummer Mick Avory and nearly decapitated him with a cymbal) in 1965. That was the height of the British invasion and they were essentially cut off from the American market.

So it's actually amazing that they were able to build the legacy they did without touring the biggest and best touring market for four years. But they are incredibly influential, were the first band (before the Beatles and Stones) to use a sitar on a record.

God Save The Kinks!!

• man dude, i agree with every single word you put up. absolutely spot on.

• have you read the book 'god save the kinks'? the dude who wrote it also wrote a really good book about pavement a few years ago and i think i'm gonna get it. also, do you think 'every mother's son' on the arthur lp is one of the greatest anti-war songs ever made?

• It's a brilliant song. Not sure if it's the best but it's definitely up there. Pink Floyd's Us and Them is always a fave of mine.

The Kinks were very progressive in terms of singing about war, politics, and environmental issues before a lot of other bands

What Girls Said 2

• Yes I do, they will be being played at my mothers funeral too... when she dies... ha! I'm not planning on killing her (at the moment :) ) but she has already told me what she wants playing.

Dammit, you've just reminded me that I haven't seen my Kinks CD for a loooooooong time!

• kinks cd as in one? how can you only have one? can you divulge the playlist for your mother?

• Yup. I don't know a tonne of their stuff but I like the songs I do know.

What Guys Said 5

• I know exactly who they are. I was never that into them or the Stones. My fave was and still is The Who. I do love their song Father Christmas though

• i like the who a lot as well, especially their first 4 albums, after that i'm not into them as much. the who sell out is a great album.

• Hell fucking yeah man. Personally it hink they're much better then the beatles. And if you likebthem check out the small faces

• i'm with you. i almost never listen to the beatles but i'll be damned if you try to touch any of my kinks records. you'll be spitting out teeth messing with them :)

• They are really good, but I barely listen to them and should listen to them more.

• I like :"you really got me" and "all day and all of the night". I like their riff sounds.

• they made so many better records than just those tho. do yourself a favor and look into them more.

• Life-long fan, especially Sunny Afternoon.