Should MTV bring back their old school shows?

I'm I the only one who misses mtv's old school shows like room raiders, date my mom, pimp my ride, next, trl and Yo MTV Raps! Now MTV is so fucken boring I haven't watched the channel in forever

• Omg! Yes! Bring back the old MTV!
  • No I like MTV the way it is now

Most Helpful Guy

• Hahaha I feel like this can answer why MTV doesn't play music videos anymore.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ysyZF-DZFY

Lemme quote the video at 3:12 for why MTV plays the new crappy shows.
    "And to answer your question about why we air only horrible reality shows about vapid people... because you watch that s*** and feel superior."

In a less offensive way...
    Basically, it comes down to ratings. Many people watch it, so therefore they keep playing it.

• That video is fucking funny, yet informative. #GoodShit

• This is SAD, but also true. Technology changed.

• "The answer is FUCK YOU!" LMAO funny because its true! They don't give a shit about you they never did!

And is no one going to touch the fact that the "MTV head" saying that people who say MTV doesn't play music videos anymore are out of touch technologically is using a phone out of the 1970s?

Most Helpful Girl

• I was just thinking about this earlier today! I was scrolling through the TV guide and saw that "Room Raiders" was on MTV. I just had to watch it! I hadn't seen that show in years. I would love for the old shows to come back. :)

What Guys Said 24

• Bring back the REALLY old MTV, when they *just played music videos* and didn't try to be the arbiter of anything else:

land-of-fruits-and-nuts.blogspot.com/.../...v.html

• But sadly, those days are long gone. The way music is sold today, and has been sold for some years now, meant the end of the AOR format.

• the only shows on there i ever watched was beavis & butthead and jackass

• I don't really mind, one way or the other. There's basically nothing that could posses me to get cable. The whole point of cable used to be that it was commercial free. But they snuck them in, and now it's just normal television that you have to pay for. Ads. Ads. and more ads..

• Back in the early days, MTV was getting its money from the record companies. It was the video equivalent of the AOR (Album Oriented Rercordings or Album Oriented Rock) format. A format designed to sell records and tapes (and later CDs). Various AOR radio stations boasted long "commerical free" stretches, which was possible for them when there was ample record company money to be had.

Today? That model no longer works and is extinct.

• Does it? Does the concept of an "album" even sell any more? Sadly, you and I are dinosaurs. :(

• @Curmudgeon it does. but you can't become a billionaire from it. Which means it isn't competitive..

• Is that garbage considered "old school" now? Wow... But no, all those shows are shit, MTV hasn't been good in... a couple of decades maybe?

• Is that what 'old school MTV shows' means for you? I thought you meant Daria or something.

• Even THAT isn't really old school. Old School is 1980's: music videos 24/7, no commercials and 5 video DJ's occassionally making comments.

• MTV has become propaganda machine meant to influence and violate impressionable young people, they really are like a pedophile.

• Only if they bring this show back img.adamsandler.jt.org/.../remotecontrol.jpg

• I do like the new Scream show.

And yes, some of them maybe. I liked the Beavis and Butthead return but that didn't last.

Daria is my favorite MTV show ever, but that had a proper conclusion and I don't know if an adult Daria would be as cool.

I also miss "Made."

• I think they should bring back... oh, I don't know... MUSIC? It IS M (usic) TV, after all.

Then again, they would just be playing awful mainstream corporate music for the brainwashed masses... so let's just get rid of MTV altogether.

• My earliest memory of MTV was "Don't come around here no more" by Tom Petty. Still an awesome video.

• Bring back ymtvr and Daria. NEW episodes of Daria and ABSOLUTELY NO NEW EPISODES of raps unless they have lesser known people who actually deserve to have their music heard. Not this glittery top 40 bull crap.

• there is youtube now a days so why would anyone just watch a tv show to see a music video they can just look up online

• By old MTV, you mean the Music TeleVision channel, right?

As in a channel composed of music and musicvideos

• Not really. "Next" was okay, but that was about it. I would appreciate more "Laguna Beach" though.

• Just bring back Beavis and Butt-Head. That's the only TV show I've ever watched on MTV.

• They all sucked anyways lol

• Never going to happen. YouTube has killed the Music Video star.

• only show I liked was Punk'd

• Don't really watch TV and I've never watched MTV, so I don't care.

• I don't watch that gay channel at all but if they brought back boiling points I sure as Hell would

• Oh, yes, MTV was the best!

• yeah. and it would be awesome if they used their other channel MTV2 to play music video alll day old and new ones

• all those shows suck except for pimp my ride, which isn't even that good

• they just need to stick to music videos.

• Vote C. Bring back the music videos. MTV has been nothing but uber suckage for a long time.

What Girls Said 10

• i remember the good old days when they played music in the mornings and i watched while i got ready for school

• They need to ditch all the shitty "reality" shows and play music videos and music related shows again... and not just (c) Rap music either.

• Yeah MTV is so boring these days and all the repeats... -.-

• That is not old school MTV. Old school MTV is when they actually played music videos. Back in the 80s and early 90s.

• MTV should change its name. There's no music played on there ever. The only shows I watch on there is Awkward and and of the Real World Challenge shows.

• I don't really know the "old MTV" you're talking about but I do think MTV is a little boring now. All of the "trippy" ads and crap, whatever it is, is annoying. I don't see the point in it. I guess it's just directed at tuning in to the "wild, random" audience of teenagers that MTV thrives off of.

• No I like Finding Carter on Mtv now

• oh and the MTV's facebook news is full of the K./ Jesnners

• I really wish they'd bring back Daria and Bevis and Butthead could you imagine them commenting on Justin Beiber oh fuck please bring back the sparkly MTV sarcasm there's just too much shit that needs putting in its place.

• the only thing mtv ever did that i liked that i miss was music videos. even if i did used to watch their old shit the majority of it was just dumb shit anyways.
    Aside from documentaries and the like for eg true life which had some truly interesting and stories.
    and no one needs the channel to watch music videos so therefore mtv is practically a defunct station as far as i am concerned

• That channel should be called "PopTV " lol. I understand the new business model.