Hey Music-Heads: How important is it to you that the artist that you listen to actually writes their own songs? Or were you not aware who wrote it?

I don't want to be misunderstood though... because I LOVE cover songs a helluva lot!!! Because they are a Garage bands step ladder to stardom!

Most Helpful Girl

• I love it when artists that I like come up with their own songs/lyrics. It makes the song that much more meaningful.

However that doesn't take away from the songs that they didn't or another artist didn't because a good song is still a good and some people are writers, some are singers, and then there are the ones that were blessed with both.

• True that not all songwriters are blessed with charisma and stage talent... That just makes me appreciate the ones that are that much more.
      For me it is fairly obvious when a singer's emotions are real or if they are "stealing" them from someone else!

Most Helpful Guy

• It doesn't take away from the enjoyment of the song, but I respect artists who write their own shit than those who don't.

• Maybe it doesn't take away from the enjoyment of the moment... But I will respect them more and actually spend some hard earned bread on a "real" artist, not just some groomed performer like Carrie Underwood. Know what I mean?

• Well it's probably not fair for me to answer cuz I don't listen to any music not written by the band performing it.

• How it should be.
      I do have to admit this is much more prevalent in some genres than others though. For instance I love Metal and its very obvious that some of those bands would punch you in the throat if you asked to write a song for them!

What Girls Said 4

• It's important, but I'm not aware of it. I don't know 9/10 times if they wrote it themselves or someone else wrote it. It's a hassle too look it up all the time. There are artists who write their own songs with their feelings. And there are artists who let a songwriter write their songs.

I don't care as long as I can relate to the song or feel their genuine feelings when they sing it/play it.

Anyways cover songs can be nice, sometimes better than the original. As long as the feelings come true that's what matters to me. Though I have to admit, I prefer it if an artist wrote their own songs. Instead of having someone work for them, while the artists gets all the credit for only singing it.

• You really don't care? You are spending your time and money on these artists. And in many cases you will even imitate them! Their genuine feeling being produced when you hear them play is because of relentless studio and touring time. After playing someone else's song 300 times I bet it starts to feel like your own... either that or you want to blow your brains out!

• Pretty damn important!

• is really important, because music is art, so is a way of expression and if you are gonna express yourself then u should write the lyrics haha, you can can tell when there is emotion in the song, I think those are the true artists. I respect those singers much more than others, coz you can tell they are doing what they are doing for the passion and not for the money

• Exactly what I'm trying to say! MUSIC IS ARTISTIC EXPRESSION... And you can definitely tell when something is coming from deep inside their soul! That is what I look for in music!

• It is important but mostly care if they can perform it and pass me the feelings to it.

What Guys Said 5

• Very important. That's not to say a good tune isn't a good tune either way, but if the performer doesn't also write the music, I don't have as much interest in them.

• Agreed... Even if I love a tune... I instantly lose respect for the ones that don't write their own!

• You can't lose respect you never earned on the first place. I respect people with track records of good music.

For me, a pop performer is no different than a musician in a band a single member writes all the songs. They're there, I give them credit for the performance, but I wouldn't follow their work to another group.

• Yeah that does happen a lot too when a band only has one head. But its usually a brilliant head

• I care for it greatly but if they didn't write it then it depends on the execution. Bat Outta Hell is an album written by Jim Steinbeck and performed by meatloaf and thats a kickass album

• I know there are some good albums like that out there... I'm not a big Meatloaf fan... Does he write his songs at all?

• right on what's the best track (s)?

• Best tracks: Bat out of hell, Hot summer Night, Two Outta three ain't bad, Paradise by the dashboard light

• It is not important to me if it is an original song , written for them or a cover.

• I don't really get attached to artists or genres. Whatever sounds good.

• I guess there really are two types of people! Everyone loves music but to what extent?

• It really doesn't matter. A song should please my ears. That's all I want!

• It pleases my ears when I hear real emotion. You can be a great singer/performer and be loved by millions of brainless followers... not by me though