Why is anime/manga/jpop looked down on here?

I've noticed like a bigger % of people on gag are not into anime/manga/jpop or any songs from anime. I don't know I think most people might just think it's a kids thing. Which trust me there are anime/managa that are more like porno's. Then some that are really scary. Just because they are cartoonish doesn't make them just for kids. Still explain your reasons on why you don't like it or if you do.

• I have notice that too
  • I love all those things! ^^
  • I like them but barely
  • I hate all of those
  • I never understood why anyone likes them
anime-a style of Japanese film and television animation, typically aimed at adults as well as children.

manga-a style of Japanese comic books and graphic novels, typically aimed at adults as well as children.

Most Helpful Guy

• Next time someones bashes anime for being "cartoonish" and for kids, ask them if they watch Family Guy, American Dad, or The Simpsons.

Honestly though, this site has a lot of anime fans. I get bashed for liking anime much more IRL than on G@G--mostly by my friends.

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people think it's for creepy old men in their forties living in their parents basements... But I think it's pretty cool personally!

What Guys Said 23

• I think people who care THAT much about people's hobbies need to get over themselves. Really? Like.. Does it matter that much what people are into?

Just ignore them and do you. Surround yourself with people who love what you love. There's no sense getting upset every time a jerk gives us a hard time.

• A lot of young people in the US are xenophobic and resist anything 'foreign'. Anime has never been as popular here as in other countries.

• I am a huge fan of anime and anime has this amazing masterpiece side of it saying examples like ghost in a shell paprika perfect blue princess mononoke akira the girl who leapt through time totoro roujin memories cowboy bebop i could go on forever i can't put in words how amazing and how great these anime's are, even some 1 who doesn't like animation would to watch these he would be hooked. I advice anyone out there to watch some of these to simply see what true anime masterpiece is.
    And anime has a really shallow and pathetic side where nudity, sex and sick sexual acts are mixed with anime, and really going over the edge and even beyond that, simply sex and fucked up shit will sell and it has it's publicity and that side of the anime is mostly revealed to the random viewer.
    So most people tend to avoid anime as a whole i guess.

• Just because someone isn't necessarily a fan of something doesn't mean that the person is looking down upon that thing.

• I like anime and manga but I never noticed any hate towards them on here. The only criticism of Jpop I hear is about how feminine the guys look lol which I agree with but I don't rip fans or the genre

• The Japanese stuff in my opinion isn't complete rubbish, however I have friends which obsess about this sub culture too much.

• I haven't notice any massive dislike of anime, manga, or jpop. If you had this experience, then don' let it upset you because you have lots us who like anime, manga, and jpop on this site. :)

• I never noticed any serious hate for anime/manga/jpop here!

• its no problem here in England some folk even go for kpop too anime, manga, and jpop. family guy, south park just to name a few cartoons for adults ok not anime or manga but still cartoons aimed at adults so where is the difference ok style of animation but that's about it besides henti is differently not for kids but cartoon based.

• I have not noticed that and I love those all myself <3

• Anime and manga yay!

Jpop... More like jpoop! 💩💩💩😛😛😛😛

• Didn't think it was an issue

• FUCKING WEEABOO /s
    and I don't know I don't notice it that much

• Im 38 and i love anime!

• How often do anime and manga come up here that you were able to gauge people's attitude towards it versus other social media sites? I haven't really noticed anything amiss.

• When ever I post a song from an anime. It's rare to have people say they like it on here.

• @Mustachekitteh To be fair, there are a lot of anime soundtracks out there, so even the otakus might not be able to respond 'cos they haven't heard of the song... (*coughlikemyselfcough)

• it's for nerds... little else..

• Take ur ass to 8muse if u want to see Manga ;)

• I look down on it because I find anime to be perverted, gross, and unentertaining (in my mind.) Manga, I just can't get interested in. Jpop, I don't know wtf that is, so I don't hate it!

• What kind of anime are you watching? I normally have issues finding perverted and gross anime. :D

jpop is like kpop but it's stands for Japanese pop music

• Well, another problem I have with anime is just that it doesn't really even feel good enough for me to watch, with the Japanese girls screaming, everyone ripping their shirts clean off right away. There's probably many exceptions to this, but I've tried; I just don't like them.

With the exception of The Last Airbender, that was the shit back then.

Kpop is painful to watch for me xD

• The people who like any of the three are typically losers.

• Jeez.. sensitivity.

We're going to pretend that these people in this video aren't fucked?
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85y-N5GJa9g

• I know what cosplay is, love; Even the Japanese call people like these losers, though. I'm pretty sure 'otaku' is used derogatorily towards people who are heavily into manga and anime, and even the japanese people think the cartoons and comics are childish.

I've been exposed to this type of culture; I'm not new to anime, in fact, I used to be into it for a bit until I realized that the crowd of 'otakus' were either heavily introverted or socially awkward. That's all I meant by people are judgmental towards this particular subculture because the people involved are typically losers. I'm not saying that everyone who watches these cartoons or reads the comics are losers; I still hold Samurai Champloo as the best cartoon (and maybe show) I've ever seen but I mean.. come on.

• ok that I can respect.

• I don't know what that stuff is

• If there are adults watching Anime/Manga/whatever, they are very immature.

• I think people just equate animation to being for kids. Hell I feel like even western cartoons that are obviously made for more mature audiences even get looked down upon.

But there is some morbid scary as fuck anime out there.

• It's often associated with introverted losers

What Girls Said 7

• I love anime!

I'm currently watching Baccano. I finished Tokyo Ghoul about a week ago. I also started watching Nana. It's cute. I started Death Note too, I think I'll finish that this summer.

My boyfriend and I will finish Mushi-shi and Samurai Champloo over the holidays and possibly summer.

And I think I want to rewatch Cowboy Bebop this summer as well.

So many shows, so little time.

I haven't seen much hate here on anime/manga. But poo to those haters!

• I don't see it looked down upon here, just not popular. Personally I don't like the style of most of it and I don't like the storylines. I love Akira, one of the best films ever, and Ghost in a Shell is good, and I "enjoyed" Barefoot Gen but the general feel of manga and anime just isn't for me. I tried watching some Gibli thing the other day but just couldn't get into it.

• i love anime! people on here think its childish but its not!

• I haven't noticed it, but I'm a gigantic fan of all.

• Because people are twat bags who thinks it' for kids yet they watch cartoons from their childhoods, and cartoons made for older viewers too. Hypocritical assholes...

• I haven't seen any dislike for it just indifference

• I used to think they are porno or whatever, lol.
    That's why I never bothered with them.

• Some of them have AMAZING love stories. ^^

• I think it's easier to think of Japanese animation as a medium rather than a genre. vThe storytelling style isn't restricted by the fact that it's animated, which is often the case with Western animation (the status quo is shifting though).