What should one be looking for in a laptop to ensure quality?

Looking to get a new laptop because my current one is done I think... The only problem is, is that I have no idea what I should be looking for to know if it is any good. Any ideas?

Most Helpful Guy

• 1.bp.blogspot.com/.../thumbs-up.gif

I'm DooMguy and I'll be your tech support for this question

Generally when it comes to laptops, thinner and lighter is better. You really don't want some chunky old thing that overheats after 20 minutes of use. What you want is a cold, slim thing that's also quiet (you really don't want to hear the fan grinding)

It's worth paying attention to the RAM realistically you're going to need at least 4gb to be comfortable. The cpu. . . that's just a long story

As for the HDD, you'll want it to be at least 500gb

Also you'll want a decent keyboard (one which doesn't jam) because. . . well you know, you can't really replace it.

That's just a general overview really. . . but above all of that the true sign of quality is warranty, 2-3 years warranty and it should be good, very good.

33.media.tumblr.com/.../...02zJfR1sxcftfo1_400.gif

Yeah. . . not sure if that was all that helpful, I ain't sure what you want it for. If you want me to write more about specs/hardware just say the word

What Guys Said 12

• Like any computer, it comes down to raw horsepower. Slow and lagging computers/laptops suck and are frustrating to work with. I think Dell makes a decent laptop. You don't need gaming quality, but you want one with lots of ram/memory and a good processor. The amount of ram and the processor speed is what makes up most of the price. You want a laptop that will still be a good performer a few years from now. So you have to buy one that is faster today than what you want. Month after month, programs and software get bigger. Pictures get bigger, websites get more complicated and so on. This why computers seem to get slower as they get older. They actually don't slow down, we just give them more to do as all these programs become bigger and more complicated. So basically buy one with as much memory and the fasted processor you can afford. Unless you are a gamer, don't worry too much about a separate video card. I like laptops with full keyboard with the separate number pad, think most 17 inch laptops are like this.

• I agree with everything you said except the part about the 17 inch laptop, but i guess that comes down to personal preference and needs. I'd just like to add that a laptop needs to be portable, which is why battery life is just as important as processor and ram. If you need to be hooked to a power source all the time then why not get a desktop? If I were asker I would go for an ultrabook, perfect for school and general entertainment. She mentioned somewhere she could use a 75% discount from dell so I would go for one of the xps series.

• For quality, just read reviews. People tend to talk about quality and what sorts of programs it can run.

• If you want quality with the least amount of issues go with apple products.
    As much as I dislike apple products because of their restrictions, I have to give it to them for quality control.

• Most important thing in my opinion, get one with an Intel processor.

Avoid AMD processors at all cost for laptop computers! Those have a high tendency to overheat and cause internal damage in laptops!

• For brands I recommend HP, Asus & Lenovo. Dell is overpriced for what u get, and Toshiba and Compaq are lower tier to the brands I first mentioned.

• That Lenovo quality n reliability tho

• pcmag. com is pretty reliable when it comes to find a comp thats the best for you based on what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend

• It depends on what you use your laptop for. I use mine mostly for gaming, so I went with an Asus ROG G750 series.

• With a laptop, RAM and cpu speed. These days you need at LEAST 4GB ram, and a CPU speed of 3Ghz + should be fine for normal usage

• Apple.. Simply because it has a better resale value.

• it needs to have a apple logo on it's back

• my stepdad has a 75% discount on dell... regardless of how good the product is that's what I am getting.

• i have two dell laptops and i use them as room heaters

• 1. don't ask on GAG
    2. Depends what you want if you need it only for writing basic computer for about 400-600$ is more than enough

• Weight, if it's heavy it's a piece of shit.

What Girls Said 1

• That depends on what you will be using it for.