Why is the very first episode of a show always called a pilot?

Why do they call it a pilot does anybody know

• I have no idea either
  • Yes I know the answer
  • Its because like a pilot its experiencing flight something moth balls
  • see answers

Most Helpful Girl

• Because the meaning of the word "pilot" can be to test something. It's not just a pilot as in the pilot of a airplane.

Most Helpful Guy

• No fucking idea but my guess is because the show will either take off and go places or crash and burn

What Girls Said 2

• usually it because it's a test run, shown to a certain group of audience to see if it will be liked, and therefore worth producing.

• Its the pilot the being of the show... its the direction of where its heading...

What Guys Said 7

• So we can know how, well, where the show is heading plot wise, maybe?

• Because the first episode is the pilot. The amount of viewers during the pilot of a tv series indicates how much faith the producers and the other people who invested money into the show should have. And it mostly indicates if the show will fail or not.

• Just the industry standard, the broadcaster will decide to purchase a season based on the pilot

• A pilot episode is essentially a way of testing the waters before a full series is made. Usually if the pilot episode is a success then it will lead to a series. If not the series is binned and no further episodes are made.

• Because it's ready for take off

• Because as an adjective pilot means something done as an experiment. So the first episode is a pilot episode. And now it's also used as a noun

• Because it my fly in the ratings... or come crashing down in the ratings...