Those that like songs in foreign languages - do you know what you're singing?

When you're listening to music in a language other than the one (s) you are fluent in, do you ever catch yourself parroting the lyrics without really knowing the meaning?

• Yeah, I'll just make noises with my mouth to the beat
  • No, it's weird; I'll just hum along
  • I don't listen to music in languages other than my own

Most Helpful Guy

• I used to not understand most of what they said in English, but as I got better I started understanding more and more, though still there are certain artists that I don't understand everything, especially when it's rap xD
    So yeah, if I don't understand I just make noises with my mouth hahahaha

Most Helpful Girl

• usually i'll look the lyrics up, and ill try and sing along even though i know im just mostly saying jibberish- aside from the one English word that pops up every now and then :3

• Lol!
      When you sing the English word, though, do you do an accent like the singer does (if they sing in English with an accent) or do you say the word properly?
      Like there's this one song, by a Japanese artist, but they sing in English and the words are very heavily accented and sometimes I'll find myself mimicking the accent even though I don't really have one.

• yeah i do! just because it works with how the song goes so it would be weird if you said it properly! i love how you picked up on the jpop just from mentioning having an English word thrown in. :)

What Guys Said 8

• English is a foreign language :P if i happen to sing along, i do know what i´m singing but i´m somewhat used to not listening to the text. more the melody.

• I do in this song, because I looked up the lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-J5Vg0SxLc

• 45.media.tumblr.com/...ly8rujRGBN1r9hb1qo1_500.gif
    I recite thy lyrics on point, just don't know what they mean!

• Lol don't even sing them; you recite them, textbook-style.

• All kinds. I'll sing the lyrics when I know them but most times I won't know what they mean. If its kpop though, ill just make noises with my mouth. Close enough.

• Haha I know a lot of Bollywood songs, but I can speak a bit of Hindi/Urdu so that's cheating

• Rammstein's "Du Hast" was really popular when I was a teenager. It was just "known" that he was saying "you hate me" but then I found out that he's actually saying "you have me" and the song is way different than I thought. Whoops!

• LOL! There seems to be a lot of confusing lore to do with Rammstein. When I was younger we always thought they did the Blitzball song in FFX. Turns out it's not them.

• Haha yeah any angry foreign dudes were Rammstein for a while :P Interestingly, you don't roll Rs in German. Weird

• I only sing along if I know the words, though I don't have to know their meaning.

• I don't care what they're singing, I just listen to the music.

• Sometimes I'll hum the theme from skyrim. And that's in a fictional language lol

• Concerning Sigur Rós, I usually try to learn the Icelandic lyrics by heart.

What Girls Said 7

• I will print out or look up the lyrics and sing along to it. They could be saying whatever, and I'd sing along still as long as the song sounds nice.

From Inuyasha, I love the song Fukai Mori. I don't know Japanese but you wouldn't know that from hearing me sing along lol

• LOL anime is transcendent. *__*

• Lol it is. I'm actually learning Japanese now because I'm planning to make a trip to Japan and to watch more anime :)

• I do that when I'm listening to songs in French or English (when they speak too fast). It's funny, but it's also a way of motivating yourself to learn a new language. So, after listening to the songs, I usually look for the lyrics to understand what the singer is saying. And I learn a lot with that.

• Yeah, it is a good way to help with languages.
      It's how I learned how to write Chinese actually, by copying lyrics and stuff.

• well I wish you all the best luck with that in the future!

• Thank you!

• https://youtu.be/-R45kIFYdYc

Horo Ghoid thu Nighean

• 1. No offense meant at all, but what language is this? It literally sounds like extremely rhythmic scatting or something.
      2. I LOVE the fiddling.

• I just want you to know that opening this video in 9 tabs, at intervals of like a minute, is the craziest thing ever.

• lol I bet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoApELfgWcg

This is the most famous song she sings, it's an Ashley MacIsaac song. (he's a well known fiddler)

• For some songs I know at least the meaning of the chorus or a bit of the words here and there.

• I like songs in Spanish and the songs that I sing are so nasty but I didn't know that until before 2 months.
    Something like me gusto todo de ti, tu tan bonita el no te da, me lo paro el taxi, tu y yo bailando hacemos el amor con ropa. Specifically the last song got me invited to a Mexican party :P

But they are just one night stand pick up lines. I dont sing them anywhere now xD xD

• yup, i know all the words and i know what they mean!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybm205q7Pd4