Am I the only one that finds Star Wars unoriginal and boring?

I feel like it's derived from an age old timeless theme and the dialogue in the movies are just plain boring.

Most Helpful Guy

• Nopes. The prequel triology is still okay, but the original triology is boring as fuck. Too slow, too predictable, horrible acting and pathetic dialogues. Not to mention the unimpressive lightsaber fights. Being an old film, i was expecting it to have shitty visuals. It was the contrary though, the visuals were good but storyline and acting were both pathetic. didn't seem natural, just forced. The only guy who acted nice was Han Solo. The best was C-3PO.

• Really? I see it the other way. the prequel is okay, but the original films were classics. Of course the visuals aren't going to be the best. Look at the time period. It was the best of it's time visually though.

• I'm not hype. You just don't want to address Christensen's terrible acting lol. I have nothing left to say. My points were made and you can't refute them.

• And there's nothing personal about anything I said.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes! My husband loves them but I don't understand what the fuss is about. I love Harry Potter though :P :D I guess it's the same for him, he doesn't really like Harry Potter and finds it boring lol

• the 5th and 7th movie doesn't help your case...

• Haha yea my sis and her family are huge Star Wars fans and I don't like it but I do like Harry Potter and I love hunger games bc I find them original and something that no one else could have made up.

• :O! No it's not lol! :(

What Guys Said 29

• It was intentionally derivative. It's only the special effects that were advanced.

The inspiration for the story came from George Lucas' experience as a boy going to the theater on Saturday mornings. When he was young, movies were shown much differently than they are now.

Movies now are expensive to produce and promote. Also, the competition for access to screens is fierce. Consequently, we show previews, the movie and then run the audience out of the theater for the next group of ticket holders to have their turn.

Years ago, when George was a boy, a movie ticket was much more like a cover charge that let you into a club. You arrive when you want, stay as long as you want and experience what ever happens while you are there.

A typical Saturday morning kids matinee would have one feature length film, a couple of cartoons (bugs bunny, roadrunner & coyote, and others) and an episode of a serial. Most famous of these serials was Buck Rogers. The serial was George's inspiration.

A serial would only be about 20 minutes long. It would begin by recapping the story so far. It would end with a cliff hanger. There was so much overlap between individual episodes that the story would only advance for about 10 minutes at most of the 20 minute run time. This allowed people to enjoy the serial that might have missed a few episodes. It also made the serials cheaper to produce as much footage could be reused from episode to episode.

Star Wars, then, is Mr. Lucas's attempt as an adult to recreate this experience for the modern audience and moviegoing experience. This fact can be seen in that the first episode of Star Wars released to the screen was Episode IV, A New Hope. This episode was the most self contained of the six original episodes. It also had scenes the were easiest to produce with limited capital. But also there was another part of the experience that was a deliberate decision by George. By starting at a middle episode, he recreated that sense of watching a serial even though no one in the audience back in 1977 could possibly know what the story was about.

Yes the story is derivative. It is derived from a wealthy man's memories of his own fascination as a young boy with a serialized, Saturday morning movie matinee space opera.

Enjoy it for what it is, and it is very much fun.

• I was going to say much of this, but you summarized it so well that I'm just gonna tip my hat to you, sir.

• George Lucas was amazing in many ways. He and Spielberg achieved the dream that their film group (American Zoetrope - founded by Francis Ford Coppola) set out to achieve, which was to make major movies outside the direct influence of the Hollywood system.

George changed how the industry looked at special effects, movie sound, visual quality, integration of modern and just-developed equipment, distribution, merchandising, and other areas. He also knew how to hire great people and hold high standards.

What George is NOT good at is WRITING or DIRECTING. His original script for Star Wars was pretty horrible, and the only reason it is as good as it is was because he had Francis Ford Coppola re-write it. George's writing is lousy, his dialog is horrible, and his direction is as wooden as it gets. The smartest thing he ever did in this regard was higher quality directors for Empire and Jedi and stick to the parts he did well.

Lucas admittedly stole storylines and shooting sequences from other movies - as gray_sailor says, Star Wars is his take on a modern version of the serials he grew up watching as a kid. He used language and concepts from Flash Gordon for the "space stuff", and borrowed heavily from famed Japanese director Akira Kurosawa (as many have), in particular from The Hidden Fortress and Yojimbo (some bits of these movies are almost directly translated into Star Wars). For the space battles, much of it is shot-for-shot remakes of a WWII movie called The Dam Busters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNdb03Hw18M

Lucas also incorporated the ideas in Joseph Campbell's book A Hero With A Thousand Faces, which breaks down how most "hero" stories are all built around the same progression of concepts, and you can see that Star Wars follows this exactly.

So, yes, Star Wars, as a raw story, is very unoriginal. The acting is often lousy (more due to bad direction than bad actors). Absolutely true.

But no one your age can understand what a breakthrough Star Wars was in so many other areas.

Visually, it was so much more advanced than anything before that its like comparing a rotary telephone to the latest iPhone. The same for the sound - most SciFi movies before Star Wars had a mono soundtrack, while Star Wars had Dolby Surround.

I could go on, but the point is that you grew up in a world where Star Wars was the standard. Some of us were around to see Star Wars BECOME the standard.

• Interesting but I agree that his writing is a bit terrible and lacks depth

• @93stepsawayfromhome Doh! That should say "hire" instead of "higher". Speech-to-text isn't perfect...

Anyway, Lucas didn't direct Empire or Jedi, though he wrote and supervised. The quality of the acting was better, though, as the other directors were much better with actors.

• Oh. Now I get it. Thanks for clarifying.

• It was original when it came out, as the level of visual and audio special effects had never been done before, especially when you consider thanks was specifically developed for the original films and it was then used for pretty much every film after that for some time.

• I wouldn't say that its unoriginal, but it is definitely boring and quite frankly i don't find the idea interesting, and the movies themselves were not very entertaining.

• i think the idea of star wars is better then star wars if that makes sense.

• i disagree and you are entitled to your opinion but i do hope you could explain...

how is it unoriginal? like what is it derived from? you do know the original came out in 1977. there were few movies or tv shows at all similar

• It was original when it first came out. Star Trek was its closet relatable show. How ever I never did get into Star Wars personally

• I've tried several times to really sit down at watch from the very first movie and give it a chance, but yes every time I get bored

• I won't be lining up to see the latest installment... just not my cup of tea!

• Yes.

Filler

• BLASPHEMY!!!

• When you say unoriginal are you talking about it being unoriginal before 1977 when it was first created... or are you comparing the recent portions of it to everything recent that has been copied from it somehow?

• I used the wrong word it is original but I think it lacks depth and creativity it's just poorly executed and dry I don't know just my opinion it's hard to even sit and watch these films and then I see all the merchandise being sold for it and I'm thinking but it's sooo boring lol

• You are a girl... it isn't exactly uncommon for females not to be interested in that kind of movie. Yes there are girls who do... but it isn't uncommon for girls to just not get it.
      Are you more of a sex in the city type or are you in to sci fi at all?

• the acting and dialog pretty much suck. no one denies that, however, the effects in the 70s and the story originally basically created modern sci-fi along with star trek.

• What makes it unoriginal? Please tell. Do note my profile picture... "choose your words wisely" lol :P

• Well it carries the theme of good vs evil in a very boring way lol I don't know I just don't find it creative enough. Like I find hunger games to be very imaginative and original in a way no one else could have created if you know what I mean. I know that there are millions of stories that Carrie that theme I mean it's prevelent in hunger games and Harry Potter that's what makes a good story good and evil

• the problem is that the story is just ridiculous. like the teacher at the end getting shot more than 50 cent and somehow getting up. it's like me watching the room (check my name, homie). it's not something i thought i'd ever watch again, but i kept finding myself watching it over and over.

• @Other_Tommy_Wiseau Well yeah I thought the ending sucked, but the rest was good. Like I'd expect a bunch of girls to get scared when one is poisoned. Like their reactions to stuff was realistic. The ending was ass though. The middle and beginning was badass though. Still if you haven't read the novel or manga you might should. I'm going to. It might have a better ending.

• Its boring indeed but you can't say its not original tho.

I don't like science fiction that much :/

• So I've never seen any Star Wars movies, but from what I can tell for the time it was fairly original?

• For someone that didn't see the older films until later I can see how you can view them as boring compared to what is out now. You just have to remember how different this movie would have been compared to everything else when it was released. Think of this differently. Star Wars is original and most of the other movies you watch are in one way or another based off of it and not the other way around.

• Unoriginal? Are you nuts? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about! ''old timeless theme'' LOL thats why everyone was being a pain in the butt to Lucas for choosing because people never really like this theme.

• You do realize it came out in the 70's and pretty much created the genre, right?

• Nope, never interested me!

• I mean it's an old film so duh, but whatever. It's the Seinfeld effect.

• i like them

• I agree, never have I sat through a whole star wars movie.

• It was incredibly original when it came out.

• Ummm, it seems unoriginal because it was one of the first sci-fi movies.

• Yeah, those movies fucking suck.

• you are not weird. just smart probably.

• It's a classic story told with laser swords. That's the innovation. The rest is obviously based on old stuff, and in many cases is a direct homage.

The scrolling text with the episode number is straight from flash gordon saves the universe.

The final scene of 'star wars a new hope' is lifted, complete with some dialogue, from the movie dambusters. This isn't supposed to be a secret, Lucas assumed that everyone back then would -recognize- these references.

Yes, the dialogue sucks.

But the imagined galaxy is pretty neat.

Lucas was trying to make a classic good vs. evil story updated for the space age. Unlike star trek which is run by-the-book, Lucas' galaxy is loaded up with the sort of guys who would have built hot rods when he was growing up. Slightly wild guys with a good heart who band together to save the day.

• I never saw the attraction, it always seemed like lowest common denominator appeal to me.

What Girls Said 14

• Excuse you star wars is awesome
    media2.giphy.com/media/LQx7NoYAJIozS/giphy.gif

• Blasphemy!

• Nah, never watched it. Tried once, but couldn't sit through it.

• Yea bc it's soo boring lol

• I just find it boring

• Well, I've never even seen them so...

• Yes, you are.

• hi 5! lol I couldn't agree more

• I always loved the prequels more than the originals. The original are boring to me, maybe because I don't really like Dart Fener kids, really annoying to me.

• I am a sucker for anything space related so no it's never been boring to me.

I am disgusted with the way it has been over hyped but the movie itself is a good watch.

• You can say its boring but definitely not unoriginal.

• You have to remember the first Star Wars movie was made in 1977 I believe.

• I'm with you. I have zero interest.

• star wars is whackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

• You aren't the only one but I disagree with you. I enjoy the original trilogy that came out in the '70s. It was interesting to me as a kid when I saw it in the '90s and still interesting to me now.

The second trilogy that came out I wasn't really a fan of. The acting and dialogue wasn't right to me. I hope this next one (The Force Awakens) is good.

But that's ok if it's not your thing. Not everyone likes science fiction or adventure, etc.

• I love fiction but I find Star Wars lacks depth

• Yeah, it's not for everyone and that's ok.